On the edge of the abyss

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's more to that case that meets the eye. The music industry offered to let her off the hook for $25,000, which her attorneys immediately rejected. (As opposed to the initial fine of hundreds of thousands.) Her attorneys? Can't even imagine what having a team of attorneys would cost. Clearly someone with deep pockets is backing her. Any individual would jump at a chance to get off the hook for 25K, since the legal fees on an appeal would be FAR more than that.

Another behind the scenes deal that we don't have enough info to understand.

I would be telling some people to go F themselves or whatever term would be appropriate.

I would be telling some people to go F themselves or whatever term would be appropriate.

She had kinder words to express.

"A Minnesota woman fined nearly $2 million for illegally downloading music has seen the fine reduced from that "monstrous" amount by a U.S. District Court judge who dropped the fine to $54,000. "Whether it's $2 million or $54,000, I'm a mom with four kids and one income and we're not exactly rolling in that kind of dough right now," she said." http://www.informationweek.com/news/intern...cleID=222400548

How low?

Maybe lower then 666. :ninja:

Why?

Greed, power, population aging, debt, bubbles, resources, wars, low education, pollution, and the awakening of the dragon.

:o

Don't you know about the new fashion honey?

All you need are looks and a whole lotta money.

It's the next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways

It's still rock & roll to me.

(Billy joel)

If we just ended wave B up from the March lows, and this is a zig-zag correction, then wave C, to put it bluntly, will be catastrophic. Just start watching Mad Max movies to get a basic understanding. Jeremiah Johnson works, too.

Holmes Wilson is a Douchebag. He can always go run Linux, compile his own kernel, and use open source software. The ipad is closed because its manufacturer doesn't want unapproved or malicious apps on their device, because their reputation is affected by poor software. iPad buyers will not care about this. iPhone users don't care either.

DRM (Digital Rights Management) is a fact of life because content creators don't want their stuff given out for free.

Funny thing, none of that affected IBM when they published the source code to the PC Bios.

I think you're missing the point. If you buy something, like a car, phone, computer, toaster, whatever, you own it.

You should have the right to do anything you want with it. The right of ownership is becoming more and more restricted. Those restrictions stifle innovation and progress. Look at the extensions of Copyright law:

450px-Copyright_term.svg.png

What do you think is going on here?

Seagate makes a $1.04 a share this quarter and can't break $20. They expect to make 85¢ or so next quarter.

Amazon makes 85¢ a share this quarter and moves to $129 after hours. They expect to make 80¢ or so next quarter.

Makes perfect sense to me. :blink:

"Thinking about file-sharing? Don't....Murder someone: The maximum penalty is only $25,000 and 15 years in jail"

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/seven-crimes...ine-than/32033/

The funny thing is that file sharing of non-copyrighted material is 100% legal. But you can be "marked" for just using a file sharing program, even for legal purposes.

However, if you want to make an archival copy of copyrighted material which you purchased (also perfectly legal) that capability has been severely restricted.

Just try that with the movie DVD you just bought and want to keep from getting scratched.

The funny thing is that file sharing of non-copyrighted material is 100% legal. But you can be "marked" for just using a file sharing program, even for legal purposes.

However, if you want to make an archival copy of copyrighted material which you purchased (also perfectly legal) that capability has been severely restricted.

Just try that with the movie DVD you just bought and want to keep from getting scratched.

Back in the day right before Napster broke onto the scene, my brother had created a file sharing program to exchange music, which was stored on a tera drive he had built by stacking multiple drives. The deal was for every 3 songs you got from him, you had to give him one. Over time he had accumulated thousands of songs. Once napster became infamous, he got a letter from his internet provider telling him he had to stop his operations. This was no big deal, as he had two providers, one cable and the other DSL. It wasn't too much longer that the other provider followed suit sending him a nasty letter, also - it was at this time that he quit. He still has the music from the file-sharing operations and alot of them are in different languages and some of the strangest music ever heard.

Funny thing, none of that affected IBM when they published the source code to the PC Bios.

I think you're missing the point. If you buy something, like a car, phone, computer, toaster, whatever, you own it.

You should have the right to do anything you want with it. The right of ownership is becoming more and more restricted. Those restrictions stifle innovation and progress. Look at the extensions of Copyright law:

I think a lot of people like myself, who believe that creators should be able to make a living from their work and be paid for it, would nevertheless agree that the recent changes to the copyright law are ill-advised. The term of protection for created works has been increased for much too long. It takes a very long time now for works to come into the public domain.

One word: Disney.

The Mouse was about to lose copyright protection. Many people have posted on other sites about the giant mouse footprint that seems to lead to the copyright law change.

However: I absolutely firmly believe that creators deserve the protection of copyright laws. I just don't think that their great-grandchildren should still be enjoying the royalties. Let them create something themselves.

Obviously, a counterfactual is going to be impossible to prove, but there has arguably been no dearth of innovation the past three decades.....

We can argue copyright law endlessly, and have done so :blink: but I totally agree that copyright law has NOT stifled innovation. However, the issue of having copyrights extend 70 years past the death of the creator -- well, that really is unreasonable. For example: Irving Berlin lived to be 100. The pieces he wrote in the 1920's will not be in the public domain in most of our lifetimes. They will be protected by copyright for 140-150 years. Isn't that kind of silly?

Archived