B4 The Bell Moonday September 27

Hiding Bear

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

id just point out that after the last r.e. depression subdiv builders had smaller phases and in many cases wouldnt start the home until it was "purchased". now $1,000 controls a $400,000 asset - excellent leverage with $1,000 stop loss. can you imagine the ungodly glut of new homes if this type of spec is rampant - i mean we regularly overstate bear case, but you are talking epic oversupply! BTW, i do believe that this is exactly what's happening.

Does anybody have a good site to get an overview of the market, including graphs?

I have been using Big Charts>Markets>Market Summary which is good, but lately the graph has been coming up a red X most of the time for me. Doc's site goes off the bottom of the screen, but the Kitco charts are great.

I used to have a site where someone made a custom screen with the Kitco thumbnail charts, and the Big Charts Diaries (at the bottom of the site mentioned above), all on one screen - now that was the ticket, but that site, unfortunately, went away.

If somebody has a good site for a market summary, or could make that page described above so I could save it to my favorites, I would appreciate it.

What do you Stoolies do for a market overview?

Thanks for any help.

B.S.

That massive prickster, Franklin D. Raines, CEO Fannie Mae, was appointed as one of the plan administrators of TIAA-CREF a couple of years ago.

I have have a significant chunk of change that has been invested with them because it is the only pension plan available to me with my work at the Univ. of Iowa.

I am just waiting to hear that Mr. Potato Head has managed to find a way to get TIAA-CREF to help Fannie Mae through its "soft patch".

"We felt it necessary to co-opt the retirement fund's billions of dollars in deposits to save Fannie Mae, the American dream of home ownership, and the world economy. All with Big Al's blessings, of course."

id just point out that after the last r.e. depression subdiv builders had smaller phases and in many cases wouldnt start the home until it was "purchased". now $1,000 controls a $400,000 asset - excellent leverage with $1,000 stop loss. can you imagine the ungodly glut of new homes if this type of spec is rampant - i mean we regularly overstate bear case, but you are talking epic oversupply! BTW, i do believe that this is exactly what's happening.

With all of the late-night infomercials regarding how to get rich in real estate, it is little wonder that we find ourselves in this predicament...at the top of the biggest bubble ever created. Many individuals "own" (have their name on a contract for) multiple homes, condos and apartments...some owning ten or twenty. Oversupply of housing = a renters paradise. Given the collapse we can all see coming, it may help to explain why both Bush and Kerry seem to favor our open-borders policy...bringing ever more warm bodies in to fill the bottom row of the housing pyramid scheme while those above them move up. Pyramid schemes only work as long as you can continue to fill out the bottom row of the pyramid. For every failed pyramid, there is a diagram that includes an unfilled bottom row. They are all based on the doubling theory, and the doubling theory is finite. Encouraging people to acquire multiple homes means we are already past the top in an otherwise sane world where those qualified to buy, own, and maintain a home have already bought the one or two they need.

Just imagine the devestation in the homebuilding industry when the reality hits that this country is over-housed.

Archived