Holiday Weekend Showprint

How long can they keep the scam alive?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know. Just XLU. I also own "Gabelly utilities mutual fund" GUT, but they charge a lot upfront, so need to take a large position to make sense.

653658[/snapback]

There is of course a double-pumped fund from proshares, but people here explain that those funds have slippage.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We?re bottoming!  Buy now!  Long and strong baby!

Someone else already mentioned that IBD called Thursday a follow-through day on the Dow.  Unbelievable!  Volume surged due to options expiration, not because of an appetite for stocks.  They also had to reach way around where the sun don?t shine to grab some nugget of private calculation in order to claim Monday was day 1 of the rally attempt.  They have stretched their rules before in the past only to discover that butt nuggets always smell the same as the real thing.

Maybe we do rally from here.  At this point, I don?t see it.  There has to be more work before we get off the mat. 

We are in a downtrend.  Nothing has changed.  Hell, my downtrends now have downtrends!

653631[/snapback]

A friend of mine who tracks IBD sector rankings religiously commented this week "Never thought I'd see the Chemical-Fertilizer group and the home builders being in the top ten IBD ranking at the same time and right beside them are the transports too.....Bill O'Neil has said that when the laggard groups start to lead and the leaders begin to weaken then we need to be careful that the bear market may be in the lead."

XLU ET AL

The utilities have had five great years.

Dividend yeild now 3%.

Just cant see them having another five great years.

I think more downside.

Its the exporters that will be gang busters from now on

Boeing Deere Catapillar et al

At this $ level Airbus just cant compete.

Pimpco's Bill Grosse wants to dump the cheap mortgages he was yapping about some weeks ago on the FED.

"The only tool left may be for the Fed to help facilitate a Resolution Trust Corp.-type agency that would buy bonds backed by home loans, said Bill Gross, manager of the world's biggest bond fund at Pacific Investment Management Co. While purchasing the some of the $6 trillion mortgage securities outstanding would take problem debt off the balance sheets of banks and alleviate the cause of the credit crunch, it would put taxpayers at risk."

Can you fornicateing believe this guy???

"For Pimco's Gross that's not enough. ``If Washington gets off its high `moral hazard' horse and moves to support housing prices, investors will return in a rush,'' "

High moral hazard horse? WTF are u talking about pimpco man? They just bailed out bear sterns and are taking in shitty collateral.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...UVjA&refer=home

Chorted ZB this evening. Bizarre trading in Trashuries last week: coupon curve flattened by somebody's rebalancing steamroller. Lots of rumors about why; none of them make sense to me. :blink: Would have preferred to chort the traditional parabolic spike of days gone by, but you gotta trade what you get, not what you're hoping for. :mellow:

Pimpco's Bill Grosse wants to dump the cheap mortgages he was yapping about some weeks ago on the FED.

"The only tool left may be for the Fed to help facilitate a Resolution Trust Corp.-type agency that would buy bonds backed by home loans, said Bill Gross, manager of the world's biggest bond fund at Pacific Investment Management Co. While purchasing the some of the $6 trillion mortgage securities outstanding would take problem debt off the balance sheets of banks and alleviate the cause of the credit crunch, it would put taxpayers at risk."

"For Pimco's Gross that's not enough. ``If Washington gets off its high `moral hazard' horse and moves to support housing prices, investors will return in a rush,'' "

High moral hazard horse? WTF are u talking about pimpco man? They just bailed out bear sterns and are taking in shitty collateral.

653670[/snapback]

If I'd read this first, I would have chorted another handful:

New York Life Investment Management is considering buying ``high-quality mortgages,'' Thomas Girard, a money manager at the New York-based insurer, said. ``At some point here you've got to increase your allocation to non-Treasury securities,'' he said.
:lol:

653670[/snapback]

He lives in the San Fran area - what else is there to say.

Alphabet Soup

653667[/snapback]

Gee Lee, I just read your Macroliquidity report and feel slighted. With the fed?s new PDCF, I?m wondering how useful your daily fed reports are now. The main reason I started subscribing is because I needed your daily fed report. Now the Fed has turned it into a weekly report. Do I get 80% of my dues back? :D

Just kidding! :P

Your information is indispensable, and it?s needed right now more than ever.

It just frosts me that the Fed would implement an initiative that they know will partially blind all the Fed watchers. Any way you slice it, however, it is just another example of how desperate these guys have become. Every new initiative reflects yet another escalation in this crisis and their panic attempts to calm the seas. TAF?s, TLSF?s, PDCF?s, GMTFO?s?I can?t wait to see what?s next.

XLU ET AL

The utilities have had five great years.

Dividend yeild now 3%.

Just cant see them having another five great years.

I think more downside.

Its the exporters that will be gang busters from now on

Boeing Deere Catapillar et al

At this $ level Airbus just cant compete.

653669[/snapback]

I'm net short 4:1 now. I just want to add some longs that are likely to outperform the loss of my shorts if the market rally. I hold staples for the same reason.

Utilities are (IMHO, I could be wrong):

1. Interest rates sensitive

2. Love when energy gets cheaper (won't pass it to customers right away)

You can see what I'm short in my signature

Archived