Pre-Erection Weakend

Guest yobob1

The mark of Rove...

Bush knew all day that the tape was coming out...Kerry knew only minutes before it did.

Kerry had an interview with a local news channel scheduled for 4:15. Rove knew that.

If the tape were to air at 4:00, Kerry would have to respond to it in real time in the least presidential setting, a local market news interview with a reporter who interrupted his statement in mid-sentence.

Bush on the other hand had a podium positioned on the tarmac with Airforce One as a backdrop for his prepared statement.

Now, tell me again how it was that Bush knew all day about the forthcoming tape, including the exact timing of its release? Which side "played politics" with this tape?

COLUMBUS, Ohio Oct 30, 2004 ? President Bush on Saturday directed his national security aides to take the necessary steps in response to Osama bin Laden's sudden reappearance on tape, a video that sent the Republican and Democratic Sen. John Kerry into a sharp final round of argument over which one can defeat terrorism.

"He didn't choose to use American forces to hunt down Osama bin Laden," Kerry told WISN in Milwaukee. "He outsourced the job."

Bush responded, "It's the worst kind of Monday-morning quarterbacking," and quoted his Afghan war commander, the now-retired Gen. Tommy Franks, as saying intelligence reports at the time were unclear about bin Laden's whereabouts.

Kerry's account "does not square with reality," Bush said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=211320

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A wealthy suburb here (Minnesota) has far more Kerry signs than Bush signs.The interesting thing is that a friend who lives there says no one in the neighborhood has ever posted signs before.

That's what I was thinking too, Drano. The sheer number of signs indicates stronger emotions this time around. No surprise there, eh?

Divide and conquer...in action.

As an incumbent President, with all of the trappings of the most powerful position on earth at your disposal and the press in your back pocket...you have to have screwed up pretty royally to be in a dead heat against the likes of John Kerry just days prior to the election.

Just imagine if it were actually a fair fight.

Powell already handed Taiwan to China on a silver platter...just like pappa Bush said.

AP , TAIPEI

Saturday, Oct 30, 2004,Page 3

Protesters from the Alliance to Campaign for Rectifying the Name of Taiwan burn a Chinese flag covering the head of a Statue of Liberty effigy in front of the American Institute in Taiwan yesterday. The rally was held to protest against comments made by US Secretary of State Colin Powell earlier this week.

Protesters in Taipei yesterday torched China's flag after draping it over a mock Statue of Liberty, as they demonstrated against US Secretary of State Colin Powell's claim that Taiwan is not an independent country.

The 50 demonstrators were also angered by Powell's assertion that Taiwan hopes to unify with China.

Powell's comments, made on Monday in media interviews in Beijing, alarmed Taipei. Powell later toned down his remarks, saying he meant that Taiwan and China wanted a "peaceful resolution" to the issue.

But this did not stop the pro-independence protesters from rallying yesterday outside the American Institute in Taiwan, the de facto US embassy.

The demonstrators unfurled a large green banner that read, "This country is Taiwan!"

They also held signs saying, "Reject Unification" as about 30 police -- some with riot shields -- lined up in front of the building and watched the brief and peaceful protest.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/arc...0/30/2003208954

Saturday, Oct 30, 2004,Page 8

Why Beijing claims Taiwan

As China has stepped up its rhetoric on Taiwan and steadily increased deployment of the missiles targeting the country, I believe that it is important for Taiwanese, as well as the rest of the world, to know the reasons behind China's obsession with the nation off its southeastern coast.

The Chinese communist regime wants possession of Taiwan for several reasons:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/edit/archi...0/30/2003208984

What's wrong with this picture? South Korea is defending Taiwan's sovereignty, but the US is denying it?

What planet are we on?

Kim Young Sam affirms Taiwan is sovereign nation

Ex-South Korean president advises officials not to overreact to Colin Powell's statements

2004-10-29 / Taiwan News, Staff Reporter / Tsai Ting-I

Taiwan is an independent sovereign country, visiting former South Korean President Kim Young Sam said in Taipei yesterday.

Answering reporters' questions at his first official news conference since arriving in Taiwan Monday, Kim said that Taiwan is a sovereign state with a population of 23 million, and a popularly elected president, legislators, local government officials and representatives.

Addressing Taiwanese concerns over U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell's controversial remarks denying Taiwan's sovereignty, Kim urged Taiwan not to overreact since politicians do have "slips of the tongue."

Powell said early this week in Beijing that Taiwan "does not enjoy sovereignty as a nation," and that cross-strait relations should be resolved through "peaceful reunification."

http://www.etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/2004/10/29/1099014266.htm

There is no free lunch.  When the credit system goes to any length necessary to keep growing, it inevitably ends up lending to far too much to far too many unqualified borrowers at far too low of rates.  It will, as it always has, end in tears.  No amount of engineering, charting, or manipulation will stop the inevitable swelling of defaults which results in credit contraction as lenders are forced to constrain lending while the defaults rise.  We are past the crest and the little snowball you see beginning to roll down the slope will be a full blown avalanche within a year.

I still see the POR as occurring anytime between now and the end of Q1 05' and subsequently the TEOTWAWKI (financially speaking) within the following 12 months.  Let's hope I'm terribly wrong, because the ramifications on a global basis are really too horrifying to consider.

All of the above, Yobob

Except,

A world wide depression would do a lot to emphasize the humility that it will take to proceed into the future without the moronic qualities of greed, hate and lust for power that brought about the depression in the first place.

ME, ME, ME,

Must change to,

YOU, YOU, YOU.

Then we can all live together in peace.

Ah Ha!!!

I just figured it out! Powell NEVER mis-speaks.

Bush needs a reason to deep six Powell, as Powell wants out any way. Powell's recent comments regarding his own future plans were "I serve at the pleasure of this President, and I will be around as long as he wants me around."

This whole thing is a set up. The US gets to throw China a bone, and then take it back by firing Powell for comments that do not reflect US policy.

Could the timing be any better?

"Ladies and Gentleman, it gives me great pleasure to introduce to you our new Secretary of State, John McCain."

If you want to think that this program is some secret means to jam the markets, that's your prerogative. But it would be wrong, just like 99% of all the other conspiracy theories. 

Conspiracy theories are like astrology and reincarnation.

The more one studies them with an open mind, the more some of them make sense.

As Dane Rudhyar the famous astrologer used to say to critics of astrology.

"Sir, I have studied it, and you have not."

If you want to think that this program is some secret means to jam the markets, that's your prerogative. But it would be wrong, just like 99% of all the other conspiracy theories. 

Conspiracy theories are like astrology and reincarnation.

The more one studies them with an open mind, the more some of them make sense.

As Dane Rudhyar the famous astrologer used to say to critics of astrology.

"Sir, I have studied it, and you have not."

For most of human time, any narrowly held opinions about the shape of the earth being anything other than flat were nothing more than conspiracy theories.

I happily conspire to find the truth in everything.

Guilty as charged.

Handouts from Uncles Hide Systemic Rot

Money Supply Still Stalled as Credit Growth Slows

Fed Releases update is now posted! Once a week Doc fills you in on the all important Fed weekly releases. Doc gives you his briefs on the charts of the Fed's most important money and credit measures. Take a subscribatory and download your Fed Releases RIGHT NOW!

30 Day Intro Subscribatory. Just $16.99! Get In RIGHT NOW!

I agree Powells signal has sold out Taiwan..Taiwan however was a Chinese Province and is in their sphere of influence. If Catalina Island broke away from the U.S. and China pledged to defend its quasi independence what would any President do! I am surprised that China has been patient all these years. Simply put Taiwan could not be defended and as for being democratic..give me a break... I think a trade -off was made and North Korea was the subject. That wing-nut is as much a threat to China as he is to the rest of the World.

Handouts from Uncles Hide Systemic Rot

Money Supply Still Stalled as Credit Growth Slows

Foreign central banks may make half the attempt they made earlier in the year to support the dollar and pick up some US bonds. But this time the Fed is going to have to be the engine that really gets the train moving.

I figure that it if the Fed doesn't take more agressive actions by the end of November, there will not be enough help from foreign banks to stop an emerging recession.

Guest Icky Twerp

I believe Northern Zone of IRaq, where live the Kurds, provides a foundation for a population with a Will for Freedom to Take their Freedom.

I do not believe you can give Freedom to a Nation -- they MUST take it for themselves. Earn it for themselves. If it is to last.

What that will mean for Iraq and the Middle East is "Interesting" :P

What the further adventures of Colon in Taiwan will mean is also "Interesting".

The ambiguity of Election Results Tuesday will certainly be "Interesting" -- I do not believe in a surprise majority either way. I do expect Bush to be re-selected.

If we were John Wayne, and had wandered into a western bar with our sidekick, an amiable and amusing idiot, who wound up starting a brawl, would we let him take his licking or at some point during the ass-kicking would we feel compelled to step in? More "Interest".

I personally am eagerly awaiting the November announcement on I-Bonds -- will they go up from the current 3.39%? "Interesting".

Can you believe that Enron, Worldcom, et al, have played so little part in the discussion? Is it because both parties are disinterested? Are there nameless bureaucratic lawyers in the Justice Dept that will someday produce results? Will Eliot Spitzer make continue to make waves? "Interesting".

Phoenix has passed Atlanta as the busiest homebuilder? Is Atlanta Softening, or has Phoenix just shifted up into Ludicrous Warp Speed -- a blowoff peak? "Interesting".

I admit I have fallen prey to Plunger's interpretation of the apparent economic stasis, achieved by "rotation" to prop up, or depress, each economic component in turn. "The Spinning Plates" someone called them. Very "Interesting" AND Entertaining.

Can any History buffs identify a sequence where a chaotic breakdown of a government has resulted in a democratic rather than an authoritarian replacement in the immediate aftermath? "Interesting".

Archived