"As Good As It Gets" Shopping Melee

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent almost $400 total today, at BBY, OfficeMax, and Office Depot. Note that all but 2*$29 will be fully rebated, costing only a stamp, time, and sales tax.

I will sell 2 of the items on ebay for $30ea+ making a net gain before stamps and tax.

Gotta love Black Friday. Next is the day before and day after Christmas.

FreeBates aplenty out there.

p.s. and they make money by? hoping that sheeple won't file their rebates on time?

The Euro, Gold and the Dollar

One can imagine what a flight from dollars to euros would do to U. S. imports, and stock and bond markets, denominated in dollars and settled in dollars. It would lower the American standard of living, both directly and indirectly. It would be done directly by existing overseas dollars returning home in exchange for goods and services. It would be done indirectly by the U.S. dollar weakening and purchasing less in world markets. As the fiat dollar reserve privilege to print for free a world-wide fiat medium of exchange contracts; the flow of American fiat dollars, (totally without intrinsic value), in exchange for valuable American natural resources, finished goods and labor services; reverses. The United States economy then gets 'nothing for something'. That is the potential economic disaster for America that is beyond the magnitude of ordinary human understanding, waiting to happen.

That relatively sudden and abrupt reversal and unwinding of decades of exploding billions of "First International Transaction Benefits" I call "The International Transaction Return Implosion". It is a debt 'implosion' because the trillions of overseas dollars as debts that exploded all over the world for decades, are now about ready to reverse and burst inward toward the United States for payment in American natural resources and American products.

Breakout City..........

Euro

Imagine if you were one of Trichet's goons.? Imagine that this was a stock, and you were in charge of intervening and "forcing it down".? Tough task...........

When Vlad "the Impaler" Putin, and Zhou "the Dragon" Xiaochuan (head of the Peoples's Bank of China) no longer want dollars, or new Treasuries, someone has to buy them. Enter the Fed. The raw, unseasonally adjusted, week to week increase in the Fed's monetary base as of Wednesday, which was just released, shows a gain of $16.25 B. This is an annualized rate of 101% (one hundred and one). [Note: it does not include today's reduction of $8.25 B in repos, which I think will be added back Monday and Tuesday].

Can Trichet or Fukui top that? Don't think so.

Got gold? Well China does. They sponsored a London Bullion Association meeting in China, and recently released a speech from that. Take note the gold from those new ETFs is being mostly stored with the Bank of England and the Bullion Association.

They have a new 'saying':

Gold as a commodity has the multi-characters of a currency, a financial product and an ordinary kind of good.

http://www.pbc.gov.cn/english//detail.asp?col=6500&ID=67

or just "gold is good".

The Euro, Gold and the Dollar

One can imagine what a flight from dollars to euros would do to U. S. imports, and stock and bond markets, denominated in dollars and settled in dollars. It would lower the American standard of living, both directly and indirectly. It would be done directly by existing overseas dollars returning home in exchange for goods and services. It would be done indirectly by the U.S. dollar weakening and purchasing less in world markets. As the fiat dollar reserve privilege to print for free a world-wide fiat medium of exchange contracts; the flow of American fiat dollars, (totally without intrinsic value), in exchange for valuable American natural resources, finished goods and labor services; reverses. The United States economy then gets 'nothing for something'. That is the potential economic disaster for America that is beyond the magnitude of ordinary human understanding, waiting to happen.

That relatively sudden and abrupt reversal and unwinding of decades of exploding billions of "First International Transaction Benefits" I call "The International Transaction Return Implosion". It is a debt 'implosion' because the trillions of overseas dollars as debts that exploded all over the world for decades, are now about ready to reverse and burst inward toward the United States for payment in American natural resources and American products.

Excellent point.

The US is getting something for nothing, which could change to nothing for something. For the Euro, it could be reversed. That's a swing that will have double the economic impact on the standard of living that conventional economists might think (like that other guy from Pimco, not Bill Gross, who said a dollar decline would be just fine). I think Euroland has underestimated just how nice it is to get real, depleting resources, in exchange for fiat money.

Close: Stocks finished mixed for the day, but up for the week, despite spending most of Friday's session trapped in a range around the unchanged mark... A lack of corporate news, anal cyst actions and economic data left most investors with little conviction to buy or sell, but an overall bullish bias remained intact... Basic materials held center stage to the upside, with steel (+6.2%), aluminum (+2.6%) and gold (+2.3%) leading a list of winners that also included energy, healthcare, computer hardware, and telecom services...

Although a focal point for Black Friday, retail enjoyed gains just big enough to keep the S&P 500 Retail Index up 7% for the month... Semiconductor showed the most weakness on the heels of the Semiconductor Industry Association's forecast for flat sequential Q4 growth for consumer electronics... Airline, networking, software and biotech also closed lower... Meanwhile, the dollar continued its slide to new lows against the euro and yen early on, following speculation that the Chinese central bank had cut its holdings of U.S. Treasuries... The greenback rebounded slightly, however, after a Chinese central banker called the report "distorted"...

====================

Any interest here in a "Lotto Ticket of the Day" contest/pick? My entry for today:

AATK

Up 11% Pre-Market on average days' volume (83K shares).

Up over 33% in the first half-hour of trading.

Closed up 18%. 3.6 million shares traded today. :blink:

No news. No P/E. No friggin' clue why it's up except that it's up.

I wonder what will happen if the average foreign investor begins to sell US dollars the way US citizens currently do. That's really what the WTO announcement today is all about- a deliberate reduction in the amount of US dollars that US suppliers seek to receive. What if the US' trading partners decide to trade amongst themselves for currencies with greater "fundamental" value? I'd prefer to be paid in euros than USD, and I'm sure a You-rope-pean would prefer to receive CAD over USD.

Wiemer+republic

Point is they can?t all unload otherwise it will be worthless. Weimar republic.

Butt papers holders haven?t realise what kind of mess they are in.

Inflate till those debts become worthless.

Senator Paul Sarbanes:  ?I know, but if we ever hit it, it almost would be like falling off the cliff, would it not?

Alan Greenspan:  ?No.  I would think not, largely because the stock of dollar assets is so huge and the ability to move them around is fairly limited, that I think adjustments don?t occur off the cliff? The question is, what do the holders do with those assets? They?re so heavily involved in dollar-denominated claims that while obviously they can move out of them, and would, there are limits to how fast these things tend to move.?]

Sir Prints A lot is no fool

I wonder what will happen if the average foreign investor begins to sell US dollars the way US citizens currently do.? That's really what the WTO announcement today is all about-? a deliberate reduction in the amount of US dollars that US suppliers seek to receive.? What if the US' trading partners decide to trade amongst themselves for currencies with greater "fundamental" value?? I'd prefer to be paid in euros than USD, and I'm sure a You-rope-pean would prefer to receive CAD over USD.

There ain't no gold backing the Euro.? They sold most of it.? The only thing propping up the Euro is the Growth and Stability Pact, which most countries are violating anyway.

Not exactly.......

Perhaps you are thinking of the European National Central Banks gold sales of the late 90's and into 2001, or so. The most remarkable of these sales was Bank Of England's (not an ECB member) massive sales throughout that period including dumping millions of ounces at nearly exactly the bottom around the US$255/oz range in the spring of 2001.

In any case, the European Central Bank, rather than the individual member nation Central Banks, has actually been a relative pillar of prudence as far as gold holdings is concerned, with reported gold bullion holdings down only slightly from December 2000 (404 million ounces) through September 2004 (392 million ounces.) Link-See Page 161

I am not here to defend any Central Bank, but my own opinion of the ECB is that it is far more transparent about it's operations than the Fed. For example, their reporting of Operating and Balance sheet statements are far more believeable. Also, they allow, by bank charter, "arm's length" auditing by external auditors, which Bank of England does not and the Fed makes a mockery of.

The transparency of the banking operations and a conservative approach to gold holdings were early on identified as imperatives if the Euro was to be trusted as a fiat currency and represents, IMO, a key advantage the Euro has and will continue to have over the American Peso.

One final comment-If there is a world Central Bank that is to be admired, or at least given due credit to, it might well be the Reserve Bank of Australia , headed by Governor IJ Macfarlane. Straight-up men, no BS, serious about their fiduciary responsibility and superb monetary policy managers.

Edit-Corrected page number and typo.

Archived