November Sector Review

One more small wave down, and that will complete the 3 wave wedge following a final bear market short covering spike.

The NDX did it from December to March.

The OSX just did it from July to November.

One more move down, then its off to the races on Palladium........

post-7-1070849977.gif

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Off Topic,

I took my eight year old out of private school this past year and live in one of the best school districts in my state. That being said, The teacher is teaching the third graders rounding up/down of numbers. Math is an exact science and I don't think they should be rounding out anything. What to my fellow stoolies think?

I think they are dumbing my kid and other kids down.

It depends. If the rounding takes place at the second or third decimal point, I think that is probably OK.

"And you could say that silvers use in photography will be tarnished by digital photo, but that hasn't stopped the metal from rising."

I dunno TE....perhaps it has. Or something has. What's the percentage gain in silver vs. gold in the past 24 months ?

Isn't that a commonly expressed frustration here; that silver just isn't keeping up with gold's rise? If it'd been just a few weeks or months, ok, that could just be a glitch...but hasn't it been 2 or 3 years of increasing delta ? To me, that indicates something more systemic or structural afoot.

I don't commonly express it here any more, since it's not a well-accepted view, but I'm not that bullish on silver either. There are mines in Mexico with HUGE deposits, quoting an 80-cent per oz expected cash-cost of production. The current supply-deficit could be filled a lot quicker than people imagine, IMO. If Friedland's Mongolia property is for real, -that- would have a big big impact.

You know what that Mongolia field reminds me of more than anything? Idaho. Huge area....incredibly richly mineralized with all sorts of neat stuff....copper, silver, gold, tungsten, uranium, etc.,etc.. Huge deposits....rich grades.... Big stuff. And the world's cheapest labor. :o

I've read a few traders who are bullish on copper AND silver. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If copper-consumption, and thus mining, is going to boom, then silver -supply- is going to boom right along with it.

There are a number of other structural factors mitigating against a super-major silver price increase, but I'll just leave it there for now.

None of the above of course has anything to do with day-trading the metals. But I do think it's relevant for 1-year and longer timeframes.

Off Topic,

I took my eight year old out of private school this past year and live in one of the best school districts in my state. That being said, The teacher is teaching the third graders rounding up/down of numbers. Math is an exact science and I don't think they should be rounding out anything. What do my fellow stoolies think?

:P :P Rounding is an important concept to learn, unless you are an Einstien, then you don't round anything :P

Off Topic,

I took my eight year old out of private school this past year and live in one of the best school districts in my state. That being said, The teacher is teaching the third graders rounding up/down of numbers. Math is an exact science and I don't think they should be rounding out anything. What do my fellow stoolies think?

Learning the math concept of rounding is to open the mind of the student to the concept of estimating. The first application of that will be simple long division (the student will estimate if his answer is 'plausable'). (example: 4/5 is approximately one)

The next is to learn that most numbers used in scientific computations are in fact rounded numbers as 'displayed'. This concept will usually be introduced in the 5th grade when the concept is used in a Science class to demonstrate both pi and Avagadro's Number concepts. More examples will be taught including the fact that the speed of light is only accurate to a thousand miles per second.

At the same time (introduced near end of fourth grade) the student should be taught that it is an "error" to use more "significant" numbers in an answer than the numbers used in multiplication (example: 12 feet-accurate to one inch- times 140 feet - accurate to a foot --- Multiplying the two numbers can not be more cccurate than a square foot since that is the least "accurate" number). Sorry if that is esoteric to this time of evening (rule 5 and all), but that is the concept being learned. If the student does not learn the function of rounding, then the student can't learn the use of the slide rule.. oops..telling my age now!

This weekend came the news of the largest found prime number is now a whopping 6,320,430 digits. It took a month for computers to verify the new number. (2^20,996,011-1 ). Now that is a big number to estimate to a shown 1 digit accuracy.

Math Link

THE USUAL SURREAL, SCHIZOPHRENIC MKT ACTION

Japan Nikkei 225 ^N225 9:00pm 10,140.18 -233.28 -2.25%

US Dollar Index(NYBOT) Mar 89.50 89.51 89.50 89.51 -0.53

Gold(CMX) Feb 407.3 407.8 407.0 407.4 +0.1

Ano,

That is all well and good but, He is in the third grade and is not even the half way mark) I think it is early. But, this is a highly respected school district.

I sometimes make mountains out of mole hills. :)

Thanks also to B4, NE, Ned and Agent.

I'm sure you know this but I'm talking 85=100 and 60=50.

Next they be teaching 1+1=3 (Orwell)

TE, I agree. rounding is good, but teaching them that 100 can be used in place of 85 is kinda whacky.

I never thought about it until your post, but I don't think I was -ever- "taught" much of anything about rounding. It always seemed to just be an intuitive thing ya do on your own. The whole key to engineering is to round appropriately to the precision of your inputs. I.e., if your measuring instruments are accurate to millionths, you don't round to hundredths. Conversely, if your readings are only accurate to tenths, it's useless to disply, print, or calculate them, to millionths.

Ano,

That is all well and good but, He is in the third grade and is not even the half way mark) I think it is early. But, this is a highly respected school district.

I sometimes make mountains out of mole hills. :)

Thanks also to B4, NE, Ned and Agent.

my wife just checked her curriculum guide; rounding is taught her in advanced classes 2nd grade, and on-grade-level classes 3rd grade.

Off Topic,

TE, I am a former math teacher. Rounding along with estimation are very helpful skills to learn. If a student can estimate an answer first, the chance of an answer being off by a several decimal places goes down.

Example -- what is 7% of 1000.....you would be surprized by the number of students who would answer 700 or 7000 instead of 70. If they "estimated" that 7% is "like" one tenth and one tenth of 1000 is 100---then they know that 700 or 7000 is too big for the answer.

:grin:

Archived