B4 The Bell, Humpday May 12

Stutz-Yes I saw that too- it seems the atitude of "Bring it on-we'll kill them all,we will kill or capture them etc" by non combatent politicians has filtered down to the grunts, it is very sad we either value life or we don't, if it is the latter then we have become "them".

Word.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sherlock, When the Berlin wall came down many years ago, my first thought was that the U.S would need a new enemy, something really big. My next thought-- it'll either be Islam or Alien...(and I don't mean illegal alien of Mexican persuasion) For the last couple of years I've been very preoccupied with Iraq and 911, but have also been trying to track and analyse what's going on with SDI, as well as the Mars missions.

The "is there life on Mars?" question, once the province of fringe loonies is now becoming acceptable, particularly in it's microbial form and is a dominant theme in mainstream media. What's interesting is it is also seguing into "how evolved is it?" in some publications. Popular Mechanics just ran a little article, saying something to the effect that, any idiot knows there's intelligent life out there.It's just a question of how the govt plans to deal with it when it comes into our airspace or lands on our lawns. Interesting.

The Drake hypothesis has been largely discredited by recent discoveries in physics, so those remaining scientists clinging deperately to this outdated belief are being challenged, by their peers, not by earnest types in tinfoil hats.

SDI (star wars defense initiative) promises to be hellishly expensive in an environment of economic decay. The arguments used to support it may have to be stronger than the possibility of missiles being launched from Korea, or other hostile states. In a climate of impoverishment, any threat of nuclear strike would be countered with, "Well I guess we better leave them alone then", from the average Joe. However, the administration might use the spector of aliens beaming down from motherships and eating your children (as insane as that sounds) to gain support for their big pork project.

It would also make for one heck of a distraction from the failures of the current administration. Could be a major propaganda coup for them. If the sh** hits the fan, they might just let the cat out of the bag.

What has interested me as a student of propaganda is how the Mars missions with it's focus on detecting life seems to be synchronized with a renewed vigor in SDI. They're tracking together and that indicates to me disclosure is coming down the pike.

I wouldn't believe any spin the government puts on the ET thing though I'm sure we're being observed, but threat-- probably not. Space brothers?--doubt it.

The Space brother dudes will turn contact into a religion. Those who already have a religion will demonize the competition.

Those of us who can keep our heads about us will just say, "hey, 4 foot tall bug eyed insectoids that are smarter than us. SCARY...but kewl!!"

Schaeffer in his evening letter remains short and long term bearish. He is very bearish HGX and Semi's Personally now that I have had time to sift thru the days entrails, I have to say I am not sold on the key reversal theme. Dow new highs were 7-new lows 196, NazQuack new highs-20-new lows 96. All indicies are still in breach of trend lines, the Dow came the closet to getting back inside which would have been accomplished with a break over 10050. I also note the Bulls are Bullhorning everywhere that we have turned the corner and THAT is a BEARISH sign-stay tuned! ;)

threadbare and Peak Oil......

Excellent reads and annalYSIS.

Unfortunately, Greenspan is no Volcker when it comes to inflation and the DoL has

made matters MUCH worse with revisionist forward-looking policies. Broker was

speculating today "what if rates remain low".

Also mentioned to him the built-in short advantage on silver and the carry-trade.

Clue: He doesn't know nor does anyone else prior models aside. :unsure: :rolleyes:

Of the 6 new highs listed on the NYSE today, I see STK is listed as one of them. Yet a look at its daily chart says this is bad data. With only 5 real new highs, it's a clue that bears should be wary. The extreme McClellan reading of the past few days is another.

http://www2.barchart.com/nysehigh.asp?&wha...=nysehigh%2easp

However, lest anybody thinks I've turned bullish, I'll repeat that below the 50dma, the benefit of the doubt has to be given to the downside, key reversal or no.

This little chart remains so un-fazed by the high volitility - low volume rumba. Ho Humm.

Tight stops covered shorts in time to keep most of the gains.

Should have reversed SPY at the 200 ma. It was too easy

and I missed it. What the hay! ;)

Had to dong some skuds to offset shorts which didn't stop out, so I picked

KKD (a jumper) and SNV (relative strength) and got lucky. Also some

other crap which will have tight stops on.

Excellent forum today and Stooltrading was delightful - but we look forward to some digit calls and maybe a finger.

Was daydreaming and imagined "Capitalstool" the movie.

I think it would work. PG of course.

post-20-1084403837.gif

Schaeffer in his evening letter remains short and long term bearish. He is very bearish HGX and Semi's Personally now that I have had time to sift thru the days entrails, I have to say I am not sold on the key reversal theme. Dow new highs were 7-new lows 196, NazQuack new highs-20-new lows 96. All indicies are still in breach of trend lines, the Dow came the closet to getting back inside which would have been accomplished with a break over 10050. I also note the Bulls are Bullhorning everywhere that we have turned the corner and THAT is a BEARISH sign-stay tuned! ;)

B4,

I agree with ya.

Today's reversal may have simply been a panic short covering rally by the bears.

Outstanding calls today.

Good on ya.

300+ Local Teachers to be Laid Off

But, he said irreparable damage has already been done to the district's teachers. "This last year and a half worth of budget cuts, layoffs

http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=1863331&nav=5D7lN4oS

Chicago Eliminates 800 Jobs Via Early Retirements

Schrader. Without the early retirement program, the city would have needed to make up to 800 layoffs to balance the 2004 budget.

http://www.wbbm780.com/asp/ViewMoreDetails.asp?ID=39089

Carmax Cuts Profit Outlook, Cites Gas Prices

Your typical used car buyer has been disproportionately affected by the layoffs over the last two years," Taylor told Reuters

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,119766,00.html

County To Lay Off 400

or 8 percent. The layoffs are expected to take effect July 8. In addition, the county will eliminate 986 unfilled positions.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/3296986/detail.html

School board to lay off 557

DC school-based administrators. Of the 285 jobs cut, many are language, art, music and physical-education teaching positions

http://washingtontimes.com/metro/20040511-115521-6737r.htm

Archived