IDS World Markets Fri 8th May 09

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

China Carmakers May Buy Taiwan Technology

May 8 (Bloomberg) -- Chinese automakers have bought assets from the U.K. to Australia as they seek to challenge General Motors Corp. and Toyota Motor Corp. in the global market. Their next stop may be closer to home.

Taiwan’s biggest partsmaker, Tong Yang Industry Co., and TYC Brother Industrial Co., ranked second, both said this week they’re open to deals that may help boost sales in China, Asia’s biggest auto market. China’s push to develop more-advanced cars and warming cross-strait ties may make that possible.

The Taiwan cabinet is set to consider opening up 65 industries, including the autos, to mainland investors within two months, Fan Liang-tung, executive secretary of the Ministry of Economic Affairs’ Investment Commission, said May 6.

Chinese automakers are already building a presence in Taiwan, with Chery and Geely, the largest private automaker, both set to begin sales there this year. An automakers’ group also sent an 83-member delegation to the island last month to look at options, including cooperation in developing in-car navigation systems.

the 2x and 3x long ETFs were getting goosed in laughterhours gambling.

if tomorrow turns out to be a big up day, i'll be selling some newly acquired FAS and UYG and URE, and i'll be going totally into funny market funds in my formula 401(k). will also dump some DIG and ERX i've been patiently holding.

one of my hobbits has a 529 thru fidelity. i recently clicked on all the site's friggin' buttons and pulldown menus, and i've found no way to exchange the 529 holdings for something vanilla (e.g., like a funny market fund). they've got me and my daughter just where they want us! bastids.

the SPX 200d is heading down, little by little. if we get there within a week or two, there won't be much difference between it and the january high. perfect storm for a smackdown, or at least a major lump on bully's head.

hey, doc, when will we get our much-deserved black monday? :ph34r:

the 2x and 3x long ETFs were getting goosed in laughterhours gambling.

if tomorrow turns out to be a big up day, i'll be selling some newly acquired FAS and UYG and URE and i'll going totally into funny market funds in my formula 401(k). will also dump some DIG and ERX i've been patiently holding.

one of my hobbits has a 529 thru fidelity. i recently clicked on all the site's friggin' buttons and pulldown menus, and i've found no way to exchange the 529 holdings for something vanilla (e.g., like a funny market fund). they've got me and my daughter just where they want us! bastids.

the SPX 200d is heading down, little by little. if we get there within a week or two, there won't be much difference between it and the january high. perfect storm for a smackdown, or at least a major lump on bully's head.

hey, doc, when will we get our much-deserved black monday? :ph34r:

Joe3, do call Fidelity on the phone. I have Fi too, and there are all sorts of things that you can do there, that you can only find out about on the phone-- even though you can do them on line once you know where they are. Their web site has a lot on it, and it isn't always easy to locate some of it. Sometimes I think there are only about 3 companies in the world that know how to organize and index a large web site efficiently.

w?s=^AORD

All Ords managed to crawl into the green to close +0.2%. The sectors were relatively flat: Financials +0.9% and Energy +0.8% while on the downside IT -1.2% and Consumer Staples -0.8%.

Nothing too exciting happening in Asia: China +1%, Honkers +0.2%, India -0.2% and Nikkers +0.5%.

Over to UK/Europe:

Footsie

image;size=239x110

DAX

image;size=239x110

CAC 40

image;size=239x110

i say with gratitude that the warrior-monk who writes my market report is also the same guy who hangs out with us during the fight scene from [your favorite action flick] and gives us moving projections like a big cat on a gazelle, edumacates us on the market's over- and undercurrents, and can share a guffaw with us quite regularly.

gamsahamnida, doc. keep up the good work.

and i'z hopes your mom's otay.

Joe3, do call Fidelity on the phone. I have Fi too, and there are all sorts of things that you can do there, that you can only find out about on the phone--

good advice, caps. i'll give 'em a hassle later today. we'll see how fideliful they really iz. <_<

Ah, Friday night local time.. An opportunity to stay up late, post some charts, donate a little commish, and have a lengthy shwang at the futes. Good times B)

Yeah Fri nights are cool. Back when I was a kid that was the night of the week we had fish 'n chips in newspaper, hot chocolate made with REAL MILK (powdered milk was the norm because we lived in the boonies) and best of all, no school the next day. The celebratory feel of Fri night stays with me even 50 yrs later... :)

Doc, @bond lovers

this is one of my favourite blogs regarding this topic. highly recommended to read

http://acrossthecurve.com

about last auction

http://acrossthecurve.com/?p=5194

Bond Market Close May 07 2009

May 7th, 2009 3:29 pm | by John Jansen |

Prices of Treasury coupon securities have taken a rather traumatic tumble this day as Tim Geithner conducted a 30 year bond auction and the invited guests failed to show up for the party. As I related in an earlier post the auction was a debacle and the price action since the result printed is worrisome.

The auction came with a 9 basis point tail. If you bought those bonds you would think that you had a huge cushion. That is not the case as all who own the bonds are now underwater.

This result is one of the reasons I dislike the bid to cover ratio statistic.The cover here was 2.14 versus a recent average of 2.05. That stat always fails to not where the bids lie. In this case they are miles from the market so who cares what the ratio is.

The yield on the 2 year note climbed 3 basis points to 0.99 percent. The yield on the 3 year note is 4 basis points higher at 1.47 percent. The yield on the 5 year note is 9 basis points higher at 2.14 percent. The yield on the 10 year note jumped 11 basis points to 3.29 percent. The yield on the Long Bond exploded 17 basis points to 4.27 percent.

The yield curve has exploded also with spreads dramatically wider. The 2year/10 year spread widened 8 basis points today to 230 basis points. That is a new wide for this cycle.

The 10 year/30 year spread traded at 100 basis points and currently rests at 98 basis points. That traded yesterday morning at 90 basis points.

The 2year/5year/30 year butterfly is 98 basis points. I think early this morning i had clocked it at 90 basis points which is support.

I am not sure what one does here. I have cogitated on trading from the long side but there are several factors which militate against that course.

The price action is ugly. There will be bonds for sale at every level above the market. The street and investors are long and very wrong.

Tomorrow is unemployment Friday. I am not sure if I want to carry a position through that number.

It is also rate lock Friday and for about ten Fridays in a row the market has chosen to sell off and has done that without the ungodly long positions which it is lugging at the moment.

For all of those reasons I think I will remain flat and take another look after the Labor Report tomorrow.

Separately, one trader has emailed that low coupon mortgages have sold off quite hard this afternoon and have given up about 8 ticks versus the 5 year Treasury.

My friend who dabbles as a technician sees support for the 10 year in the mid 330s. He is quite concerned that it did not have even a cup of coffee in the 3.25 percent neighborhood.

Corporate bonds are feeling the tiniest bit toppy.

==============

CRUDE topic

check this site. one of the best

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/twip/twi...ate.html#demand

Demand is falling. There is no green shot. No recovery.

rising reserves of unused oil

tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/twip/disdsusm.gif

and falling demand

tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/twip/dispsusm.gif

THIS IS JUST A BEAR MARKET RALLY:]

check this also

Rising reserves of unused oil put strain on storage

Record inventories of crude oil are building up around the world threatening to swamp storage space and belying optimism in the markets about an imminent economic recovery.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbys...on-storage.html

Archived