The Power of Positive Thinking

Last night over in M2M Calculus came up with a theory on why Wall Street anal cysts are always bullish as opposed to elsewhere in the world, where anal cysts tend to tell it like it is.

Ever notice that the big Banks and Brokers outside the US pretty much report what they think. But in the US it seems only Roach goes against the grain.

Why is this?

Well, it's only a theory of mine but selling and marketing aren't inbred in non-US citizens. Therefore it's not necessary a case of Wall Street always being bullish, it's just that bad news doesn't sell therefore it's almost impossible to go against your inherited genes.

I've noticed this a lot especially last year when I saw an interview with some American football player complaining about always having to wear his helmet on the pitch and how that was effecting his 'marketability'. Hello, sorry but I thought you were a sportsman, not a businessman trying to sell something. If an English footballer came out with a line like that he'd be slapped down by everyone, club, media and especially the fans.

Not knocking the US by the way, just giving my humble view.

That led me to a diatribe on the culture of Positive Thinking, which I of course think is a bunch of dangerous malarkey that causes all kinds of social ills and individual emotional problems.

Because we have been raised in a culture that preaches that if you just think positive all the time, everything will work out just the way you planned.

Complete and utter horseshit. "Positive thinking" was an idea invented to sell books and semianrs and self help courses. If you have no talent, I don't care what your goals are, and how hard you work to achieve them. You are going TO FAIL. Europeans, and other cultures know this. In this country, what it takes to succeed is a talent for lying and conning people. If you're good at that, hell, you don't even have to work hard. Jsut make some shit up, and pitch it. Plenty of positive thinking suckers out there to sop it up.

No wonder so many people on this country are on drugs. They can't understand, after being fed all this bullshit all their lives, why things are so shitty.

It's called "REALITY", man.

PS, I was the only person in history to have failed the Dale Carniegie sales course back when I was a young stock borker.

Hadjin disagreed with me.

"..re: Positive thinking..  "Complete and utter horseshit. "Positive thinking" was an idea invented to sell books and seminars and self help courses"  ...Doc

Sorry Doc, can't agree with you there.    A Positive Attitude state of mind is HUGE in determining the outcome of events.  I've seen it impact business, health, sports and personal relationships...  Its kind of like Faith, you still have to do your "preparation (Works)" part.

I'm sorry you  (feel) have never experienced its undeniable magic.

To which I respond:

It's true, in my own case, I have never seen any positive results from thinking positive. In fact my greatest inspirations, the things that have worked for me have come from the despair engendered by failure, from the pits of defeatism. Usually it is at that moment, when I have become totally convinced that all is well and truly lost, that my best ideas have come. Ideas borne of desperation, and failure, hopelessness and despondency.

I can give you examples of famous negative thinkers who achieved great success too. There was a program on Larry David, Jerry Seinfeld's partner, the other night. The guy is a deeply negative thinker. But he's a comic genius.

It's about talent and persistence. Without both, failure is guaranteed. Positive thinkers who succeed are blessed with great talent. The majority end up living a life of strife, struggle, mediocrity, and failure.

Hundreds of millions of Think and Grow Rich, Power of Positive Thinking type books, courses, and seminars have been sold in the US in the last 30 years. How is it then that we as a society are more in debt than ever, that our financial markets run on the basis of fantasy and subterfuge, that a greater percentage of the population is living in poverty, that we no longer manufacture and sell anything of value to the rest of the world, that we are embroiled in an unwinnable war, making more and more enemies all the time, that our dollar has sunk to near the lowest level in its history, that 40% of the population cannot afford to go to the doctor, that we have a higher percentage of our population in prison than ever before, that we have endemic problems with addictions to drugs, alcohol and gambling, that we have the greatest percentage of obesity than any country in the world, that we are one of the most violent countries on earth, that our economy is a hollowed out shell, based on the biggest Pobnzi scheme in history, that we face the greatest financial crisis in the history of the world as a result of the greatest bubble the world has ever seen.

This is where all that positive thinking has gotten us as a society.

We live in interesting times. Good luck with the market today.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HP Pondering Sale (this "tabled" statement is typical Carly "You're So Vain" talk)

IBM Sells

More jobs to be outsourced. Waiting for Dell news. They could wind up being the only "Made in the USA" brand soon.

Merck Cuts Forecast

Merck's product line died years ago. It's the IBM Dinosaur of Drugs. It's bottom may signal a buy on Biotechs. It's the only "tech" I'll be long for the next decade.

It's true, in my own case, I have never seen any positive results from thinking positive. In fact my greatest inspirations, the things that have worked for me have come from the despair engendered by failure, from the pits of defeatism.  Usually it is at that moment, when I have become totally convinced that all is well and truly lost, that my best ideas have come.  Ideas borne of desperation, and failure, hopelessness and despondency.

I can give you examples of famous negative thinkers who achieved great success too.  There was a program on Larry David, Jerry Seinfeld's partner, the other night. The guy is a deeply negative thinker.  But he's a comic genius. 

It's about talent and persistence. Without both, failure is guaranteed. Positive thinkers who succeed are blessed with great talent. The majority end up living a life of strife, struggle, mediocrity, and failure. 

Hundreds of millions of Think and Grow Rich, Power of Positive Thinking type books, courses, and seminars have been sold in the US in the last 30 years. How is it then that we as a society are more in debt than ever, that our financial markets run on the basis of fantasy and subterfuge, that a greater percentage of the population is living in poverty, that we no longer manufacture and sell anything of value to the rest of the world, that we are embroiled in an unwinnable war, making more and more enemies all the time, that our dollar has sunk to near the lowest level in its history, that 40% of the population cannot afford to go to the doctor, that we have a higher percentage of our population in prison than ever before, that we have endemic problems with addictions to drugs, alcohol and gambling, that we have the greatest percentage of obesity than any country in the world, that we are one of the most violent countries on earth, that our economy is a hollowed out shell, based on the biggest Pobnzi scheme in history, that we face the greatest financial crisis in the history of the world as a result of the greatest bubble the world has ever seen. 

This is where all that positive thinking has gotten us as a society.

We live in interesting times.  Good luck with the market today.

This is a complex issue here for sure. I can not disagree with you, Doc, in the things you describe. I am in the mental health field for my career, so I often have to attempt to help people to deal with such complexities. I think that the healthy thing is to think realistically. The problem with the books, tapes etc. that are sold is that they don't face reality, and they get folks in big trouble there. If one does face reality, one will notice that there are both problems and possible solutions, both pain and pleasure. If one can notice the positive real things and positive potential things, that is helpful. Just as it is helpful to face and deal with negative things or problems. There can be extremes of positive or negative thinking, both of which are unrealistic and unhealthy. Thinking positively about driving your car into a brick wall is no more helpful than having panic attacks while on vacation at a pleasant and safe sea shore location. And there can be realistic positive, negative, and-- best of all-- combinations of positive and negative thinking, which accurately reflect reality, and which then help the person to deal with the real world.

Correction Commences

How Far Down, How Much Longer

Your Golden Stool, including short and long term updated charts and price targets, is loaded. Even if you are not a goldbug, you should check out the Golden Stool. It's in your Anals daily. Take a subscribatory and download the Golden Stool RIGHT NOW!

Archived