The One True Measure Of The Holiday Spirit

I love Christmas in Miami. Oh, sure, it's not like Christmas up north. We don't have Jack Frost nipping at our nose. We have Harvey Heat Rash nipping at our underwear regions. And we never look outside on Christmas morning to discover that the landscape has been magically transformed by a blanket of white, unless a cocaine plane has crashed on our lawn.

But forget the climate. Christmas is not about weather. It's about the holiday spirit, and there is only one true measure of that . . .

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Nancy and I saw UFO Invasion At Rendlesham last Friday. The two words that most aptly describe that documentary are shocking and compelling. Not only regarding the possible visit there twenty-three years ago but also what seems to have been done in the governments (plural) attempt to cover up whatever happened then.

It repeats tonight from 9 to 11 PM on the Sci Fi Channel and is well worth taping.

Good Morning!

In order to help speed up page loading to help those on dial up connections, I have moved the Kitco charts and the Barchart Markets applet to a small popup page that loads quickly. The links are at the top right and bottom center of the page and in the left menu. I have also removed the Hitbox counter. These changes should help the page load more quickly. To speed up loading you can also go to your profile and change board settings to reduce the number of posts per page, and not load avatars and signatures. If you are a lurker, you'll need to register to avail yourself of these options.

Hope this helps.

I'm also working on more frequent updates to the Wall Street Urinal news feed. I hope you are enjoying this new feature as well. The links to this are also at the top right and bottom center of the page and in the left menu. The Urinal and market stats can be toggled in the same window for your convenience.

I'll run a poll to see how you like the new setup.

It repeats tonight from 9 to 11 PM on the Sci Fi Channel and is well worth taping.

Dude, you're are so like 20th century. You're still using tape? No wonder the economy is in the crapper. Go out and buy a media center PC from Dell or HP with Intel's hyperthreading and corsair memory. Crank up Bill Gates's version of TiVo (media center pro) and turn that show into stripes of digital data on you're new SATA drive from Western Digital.

TBO - Re Ahold

In a rights issue existing shareholders have the right but not the obligation to buy new shares commensurate with their stake. It is almost exactly like an option on the new shares and frequently rights/options can be detached from shareholder ownership and freely sold on a secondary market.

However, if shareholders fail to exercise these purchase options then the underwriter has to buy all the shares not so purchased. I don?t know how big a stake the controlling family holds (who obviously were the prime negotiators of the deal) but you can imagine that on a ?3bn deal the underwriters actually faced huge risks if the offering was not successful.

So given that their capital and reputation were on the line it is no surprise that other advisors like consultants, accountants, lawyers etc. racked up ?50m odd in fees trying to check that the proposed financing was adequate and that Ahold wasn?t a serious enough basket case that the scheme was never going to work.

The term ?rescue rights issue? is often used but as far I can see Ahold really was dead in the water without substantial new financing. It is easy to point the finger at financial advisors but at the end of the day they in fact enabled the company to continue thereby saving countless jobs and securing real economic activity. And though many people obviously lost money on the shares it should be hoped that they were aware of the risks of share ownership. Of course they weren?t because they were certainly not playing the role the shareholder democracy system relies on of independently verifying that management is working in their best interest and not a bunch of vainglorious, incompetent and possibly dishonest idiots.

Missed the Intraday World deadline, sorry for OT post

mornin' stooltown!

glad, tanks for another eye-opening opening :lol:

moanin' jr....say, can you explain anything about HAL ? Curious what's going on, and also why it was heading up near end of day. The only news I could find was that they won more iraq biz.

tanks!

success to all today.

mornin' stooltown!

glad, tanks for another eye-opening opening :lol:

moanin' jr....say, can you explain anything about HAL ? Curious what's going on, and also why it was heading up near end of day. The only news I could find was that they won more iraq biz.

tanks!

success to all today.

will pm you later this morn, busy getting stops set and short targets mapped.

watch miners 2day... they are somewhat vulnerable here to profit taking.

LIVE

ES H04 106750 107050 106550 106650 -100

Open-Outcry Traded Markets

Symbol Open High Low Last Change

GC G04 4100 4114 4098 4105 + 6

SI H04 5657 5705 5645 5690 + 33

TX H04 8884 8888 8855 8872 -16 :lol:

I1 H04 N/A N/A N/A 106740 unch

EC H04 12283 12330 12272 12300 + 31

US H04 109000 109130 108290 109110 + 180

TY H04 112025 112115 112000 112100 + 135

Archived