Trying to Start a New

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

t?s=^AORD

Buyers picking their way through the possibilities today but not in a hurry. All Ords +0.3% and Telecom leading for the second day in a row, +1.2% and Healthcare is at the other end, -0.5%.

In the miners, BHP and RIO hovering around the flat zone after an earlier selloff. The golds are up around 3% on light volume.

The major oils, Woodside and Santos, are up slightly although the sector is -0.1%.

Over in Asia, China doing a surge +2.5% but most the other bourses down slightly.

Yen Declines to Record Against Euro on North Korean Missiles

July 5 (Bloomberg) -- The yen weakened against the dollar and reached a record low versus the euro after North Korea fired at least six missiles over the Sea of Japan, posing a threat to the region's security.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe said Japan will consider economic sanctions against North Korea as the missile test ``is a huge security concern'' for the country, which has joined the U.S. in calling for the communist nation to abandon its nuclear weapons program. North Korea has told Japan that any move to impose sanctions would be considered a declaration of war.

Chile Consumer Prices Rise More Than Expected in June

July 4 (Bloomberg) -- Chilean consumer prices rose more than expected in June on higher transportation and labor costs, adding to speculation that the central bank will raise interest rates this month.

Prices rose 0.6 percent in June from the previous month, the government-run National Statistics Institute reported today in Santiago, exceeding the median forecast from 16 anal cysts in a Bloomberg survey that they would increase 0.4 percent. Annual inflation in June was 3.9 percent, near the top of the central bank's target range of 2 percent to 4 percent.

Bank of China Shares Rise in Shanghai Trading Debut

July 5 (Bloomberg) -- Shares of Bank of China Ltd., the nation's second-largest lender, rose as much as 31 percent on their first day of trading in Shanghai after investors ordered about 33 times the stock on offer in the nation's largest domestic share sale.

Bank of China is a litmus test for efforts to channel more of the nation's $1.9 trillion of household savings into equities after restrictions that forced Chinese companies to sell stock in Hong Kong and New York were recently lifted.

w?s=^AORD

Basically still the sideways trawl on the 5-day chart. All Ords drooped a touch into close, finishing -0.1%. Property Trusts did a bit of a dead cat bounce to finish as leading sector, +0.6% and 8 sectors closed red with Materials down the most, -0.8%.

BHP and RIO both slid in the arvo: BHP ended -1.3% and RIO -1.1%. The golds, however, maintained their gains of around 3%.

In the oils, Woodside chugged along sideways, +0.6% but Santos had a sudden selloff, not sure what that was about, -0.7%.

Asia all over the place: China +2.1%, India +1.5%, Taiwan -1.1% and Nikkers -0.7%.

Over to UK/Europe:

t?s=^FTSE

t?s=^GDAXI

t?s=^FCHI

http://quote.yahoo.com/m2?u

Monday's holiday-shortened session continued recent strong buying, as we closed above the day's average price of ES 1284.5 and sustained the short-term uptrend. The Power Measure closed very strong, reflecting strong price action through most of the session. Once again, Institutional Buying was weaker than normal, but Selling was much lighter than usual (this is not an unusual pattern during a holiday session), giving us an Institutional Composite closing reading of +242. For the third consecutive session we saw strong buying in the broad market (see the TraderFeed entry on this topic), with the Adjusted TICK at +954. Demand fell to 65; Supply dipped to 24. New 20 day highs rose to 1541; new 20 day lows fell to 175. Among the large caps in my basket, 13 are now trading in intermediate-term uptrends--quite a positive shift--and 4 in downtrends, for an Institutional Momentum score of +480. This is the highest reading in well over a month. As long as we continue to make higher highs and expand the number of issues registering fresh 20-day highs, the short-term trend remains up.

Brett N. Steenbarger, Ph.D.

Good Morning!

WSE HQ North is crawling with construction workers as they rush to completion tomorrow night. The temporary stairs to my office on the second floor have been removed while the new stairway is constructed by hand. I will post a precious metals report as soon as I can get up to the office, hopefully by 12:00. Meanwhile, I posted several new reports in the WSE Pro over the past few days. They are available at http://wallstreetexaminer.com.

Between the server failure, my trip north, and the construction on my home, it has been a crazy couple of weeks indeed. Things will be getting back to normal next week. To all WSE Pro subscribers my sincerest thanks for your patience and support!

Lee

Bear dines on pizza and beer in vintage car near Tahoe

MESSY EATER IGNORES BLARING HORN, BIG CROWD OF ONLOOKERS

STATELINE, Nev. (AP) - A bear cub drew a crowd of spectators at a Lake Tahoe neighborhood as it munched on barbecue-chicken-and-jalape?o pizza in the back seat of a vintage red Buick convertible.

It also apparently washed it down with a swig of a Jack Daniel's mixer, an Absolut vodka and tonic, and a beer taken from a cooler, the vehicle's owner said.

Story

Wonder if that bear was trained by a Stoolie. Couldn't possibly be Shorty could it?

Man, they're just getting more and more obvious.

I can't post a link, but in a DJ Newswire article about the bill to regulate FNM and FRE (which the banks oppose, natch, because it wouldn't allow them to dump their worst crap on Fannie and Freddie any more) --

"Joe Pigg, senior counself for the (bank group), said in an interview Monday...)

Bear dines on pizza and beer in vintage car near Tahoe

MESSY EATER IGNORES BLARING HORN, BIG CROWD OF ONLOOKERS

STATELINE, Nev. (AP) - A bear cub drew a crowd of spectators at a Lake Tahoe neighborhood as it munched on barbecue-chicken-and-jalape?o pizza in the back seat of a vintage red Buick convertible.

It also apparently washed it down with a swig of a Jack Daniel's mixer, an Absolut vodka and tonic, and a beer taken from a cooler, the vehicle's owner said.

Story

Wonder if that bear was trained by a Stoolie. Couldn't possibly be Shorty could it?

I don't think so. Shorty would have gone after the car with the Krispy Kremes in it.

Archived