B4 The Bell Weak-end Den, August 21-22

The problem I have with the accident hypothesis is the high number of these "accidents" over the last year or two, after going decades without any such "accidents." Why the sudden outbreak? Is it the "Y2K problem" asserting itself 3-4 years after the fact? Come on.

I lived in the SF Bay Area for 13 years, moved back east in July 2001. Seemed like they were always having accidents at the refineries. I think its normal.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love it, USA mens basketball team lost, again. :lol:

'Merkuhns have no respect for the game anymore; that's why they perform horribly in international competition. It's disgusting. Players from other countries are generally just as good now. When 'Merkuhn teams go in with no respect for the game, starting with the fact it is a team game, the result if inevitable. When the teams with Michael Jordan won, it really was not a result of Jordan's skills as an individual, it was a result of all members of the team, including Jordan, respecting the game and the capabilities of the opposing players/teams. This is just one example, and a microcosm, of the narcissism, puny-mindedness, and insect-like unthinking (putatively) self-serving mechanical attitudes/behavior of most 'Merkuhns at present.

P.S. Good point on the cell phones.

Mr. Kerry's campaign produced a crudely printed flier from Alachua County, Fla., promoting a "Pro-U.S.A. Rally" this weekend that listed "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" and "Alachua Bush/Cheney Committee" as being involved. Mr. Kerry's campaign said a volunteer picked up the flier at the office of the local Republican Party committee, where some volunteer's for Mr. Bush's local campaign committee work.

Mr. Bush's campaign, which has said it has no involvement with the group, said it had nothing to do with the flier either, and described it as unauthorized.

Mr. Kerry's campaign also sent out an Internet advertisement featuring a segment of a debate between Mr. Bush and Senator John McCain of Arizona during the 2000 primary in which Senator McCain took Mr. Bush to task for playing host to an event at which the leader of a "fringe" veterans group questioned Mr. McCain's military service in Vietnam.

"That fringe veteran said John McCain had abandoned the veterans - I don't know if you can understand this, George, but that really hurts," Mr. McCain is shown as saying to Mr. Bush at the debate, held in South Carolina. "You should be ashamed."

The spot includes an on-screen heading that says, "George Bush is up to his old tricks."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/22/politics...gn/22swift.html

If I were Kerry, I would publicly call on John McCain to demand that Bush repudiate as false, the claims made by the group. GW obviously has access to the truth.

i jumped the great Mississippi and started considering the East Coast. since im in an exchange and from Kali, my offers w/in 10% of ask were returned as FP counters - remember, these are all cash offers devoid of financing contingencies or delays - also, my property has sold, so im "cash-in hand." recently, the sellers are coming back "to see i/we i still like their market." im not sure this means anything drastic, but im close on 2 decent deals (one actually pretty good). somewhere a while back i decided id pay cap gains taxes and not sweat it; maybe, just buy a little casa somewhere for retirement and pay taxes on the remainder. i can still say there isnt much available under $2M that is priced reasonably, but just because we are from Kali, we are not "like totally stoopid." :lol:

kudos to Yobob1 who suggested 2 months ago that taxes might not be a bad options. once i accepted that potentiality, things got easier. somewhere along the line, not being overweighted in a "fixed" asset may not be a bad idea. im not sure that the recent gold move isnt a result of the "last place to hide" trend. i dont want 4% on a 10-yr UST, i wouldnt buy most real estate, confetti sucks as countries see who can devalue the most and fatest. where you gonna hide?

Big Stoolie thanx to Long On Uranus and Dharmaeye for helping me out - much appreciated!

Because of this reality, I'm afraid to even jaywalk.

dude, our intersections have cameras - you know how dangerous it is in Kali to not blast through an amber light. you do it now and you're popped! at night you can see the big flashes lighting the intersection when someone draws a ticket. im in a pretty small city too.

Character Assassination by the Bushinistas...of course they're guilty!

ROANOKE, Virginia (CNN) -- Democratic vice presidential nominee John Edwards called on Saturday for President Bush to condemn the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth ad campaign.

Edwards, a senator from North Carolina, said President Bush could end the dispute if he were to say, "Stop these ads."

The latest ad, a 30-second spot released Friday, uses segments from Kerry's testimony before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in 1971. In the ad, Kerry says, "They had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads," "randomly shot at civilians," and "razed villages in a fashion reminiscent of Genghis Kahn."

The ad does not include Kerry's preface, in which he said he is reporting what others said at a Vietnam veterans conference. Instead, a swift boat group member refers to the statements as "accusations" Kerry made against Vietnam veterans.

An official transcript shows Kerry was referring to a meeting in Detroit, Michigan, that was part of what was called the Winter Soldier investigation. He told the Senate committee that veterans had testified to war crimes and relived the "absolute horror of what this country, in a sense, made them do."

"John Kerry had a moment of truth in his life in 1968 and in that moment of truth he chose to serve his country when he volunteered for military service, and volunteered again to go to Vietnam," Edwards said Saturday. "This is a moment of truth for George W. Bush. We're gonna see what kind of man he is and what kind of leader he is."

"To say that John Kerry did not serve courageously is a lie," Edwards said, adding that Kerry's war record is beyond dispute.

Edwards demanded that Bush set the record straight himself and not through his representatives.

"I'm not interested in hearing spokespeople for George Bush, spokespeople for his campaign," Edwards said. "I'm not interested in hearing from front groups for George Bush, financed by his friends. We want to hear from the president of the United States. Not rhetoric."

According to Edwards, the ads were funded by friends of President Bush -- the same people who funded similar attacks on Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona during his presidential primary campaign in 2000.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/21/edwards.swiftboat/

dude, our intersections have cameras - you know how dangerous it is in Kali to not blast through an amber light. you do it now and you're popped! at night you can see the big flashes lighting the intersection when someone draws a ticket. im in a pretty small city too.

What country is that town in?

I live in Sacramento (i.e. Excremento after rain and unfavorable wind conditions). We're just starting to get Big Brother's cameras. So far, I can choose diving routes to avoid them. I know, if you're caught in one, your choice is slam on your brakes and get rear-ended versus go through and get a ticket. Great choice.

I guess the local governments need to steal the money in order to put off Chapter 9 bankruptcy for a little while longer ...

well, i guess that up for discussion - its either northern TJ or Socal :lol: . actually, its north san diego county - our streets reportedly follow old goat trails so its not exactly a metropolis. the big steel poles holding the cameras (they are on like 3 corners or the major intersections) are really outta place.

It's in the Puritan Repuplic of 'Merkuhstan, and one of the most "liberal" "Califates" to boot!

I know, if you're caught in one, your choice is slam on your brakes and get rear-ended versus go through and get a ticket. Great choice.

zzzzzzzzactly, its a really dangerous situation, particularly if my little taurus gets rear-ended by a monster truck or some landscape contractor with couple of tons of yard waste in the bed of a 1970 ford pick-up. i liked sacramento's downtown area, but i like mature landscaping that isnt primarily palm trees.

Homeland Insecurity At The Pentagon...

I received a phone call earlier today from a friend of mine who was driving by the Pentagon. She said:

"... I just stopped five feet from one of these Humvees to ask the guy in the drivers seat for some directions and he was TOTALLY SOUND ASLEEP SAWING LOGS WITH HIS MACHINE GUN IN HIS HANDS. "

Ha! That's exactly what he wanted you to think!

Sleep-simulating skills honed to razor sharpness.

By JIM RUTENBERG

Published: August 22, 2004

Vietnam veteran who had served with Senator John Kerry in a Swift boat group broke a 35-year silence this weekend to back Mr. Kerry's version of events from their mission together, and to chastise veterans critical of the senator as having "splashed doubt on all of us."

The veteran, William B. Rood, is now an editor at The Chicago Tribune, which ran a first-person article in which he recounted the day on its Web site yesterday. His account added to a growing debate over the most serious claims from the group, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. And it ensured that questions swirling around the group, the veracity of its claims and some of its prominent backers' connections to the White House would dominate the campaign for yet another day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/22/politics...gn/22swift.html

:)

detroit is going to grind to a hault in the next two years

That's exactly what I thought two years ago. Except I spelled "halt" correctly back then :lol:

LOL!!!

Ya Got Me!

You were correct in your spelling - but obviously forgot to account for the heilcopter drops in your assessment.

I'm probably wrong too, but I have a 100% chance of being more right than you at this point...with the possible exception of spelling that is.

;)

Archived