Wall Struck Performance

ISM is a "touchy feely" type of number. It's a survey.

If a midget puts on a pair of platform shoes and is asked if he feels taller, the midget will respond with "a lot taller". If Shaq puts on the same type of shoes, he won't notice the difference.

Manufacturing is coming off a depression, at least temporarily. The view to those who work in it is one of relief.

By the way, has anyone noticed the poor performance of the cardboard container business?

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the still sea conspires an armor

And her sullen and aborted

Currents breed tiny monsters

True sailing is dead

Awkward instant

And the first animal is jettisoned

Legs furiously pumping

Their stiff green gallop

And heads bob up

Poise

Delicate

Pause

Consent

In mute nostril agony

Carefully refined

And sealed over

Horse Latitudes The Doors.

MH- Still believe they're(ISM) 'directional', not 'magnitudinal',

indicators.And, no matter what the past 'correlation' is, the GDP #'s,

at least quarterly, are "statistical flatulence" ...

Speaking of which, there's a much better correlate out there.

The 'other' ISM number - Incoherent Sphinxter Mumblings - shows a near-perfect correlation between excellent GDP growth and century/decade combos that begin with 199x but a far less certain relationship, possibly even a negaitve one, with 200x combos.

---------------

All kidding aside, unless the ISM number was 'readjusted' along with the GDP statistical revisionism that happend in 1995 (and '97, and 98, 99, etc) I don't think it holds much power.

Old stock market hand John Dorfman, writing on the Bloomberg site, touts the 63% gain in his Robot Portfolio last year. Then he explains,

Here's how the Robot works. Using Bloomberg stock screening software (the Quicksearch, or QSRC function) it identifies all U.S. common stocks with a market value of $500 million or more. Currently, there are about 1,900 such stocks.         

It eliminates stocks with trailing 12-month losses, or with debt greater than stockholders' equity. At the moment, that leaves about 1,200 stocks.         

From those, the Robot simply selects the 10 with the lowest P-E ratios. Any graduate student in finance could design something more sophisticated -- and probably less profitable.

Robo-trader

I'm choking on this. Choosing the 10 lowest P/E's in a field of 1,200 financially-fit large cap stocks is a very crude screening method, particularly when you consider the unreliability of corporate earnings. No trend indicator is used at all.

Dorfman's claimed results are way beyond what other researchers, such as O'Shaughnessy's 40-year study What Works on Wall Street, found.

I would be interested in comments on this article from VectorVest users.

The Fed previously said it was not worried about the continued stagnation in the money supply, but I think they?ll change their tune soon.

Why is there so much debate about what is causing the decline in M2 / M3? Whoever collects the data, can't they break it down so we can tell what is shrinking?

Old stock market hand John Dorfman, writing on the Bloomberg site, touts the 63% gain in his Robot Portfolio last year. Then he explains,

Robo-trader

I'm choking on this. Choosing the 10 lowest P/E's in a field of 1,200 financially-fit large cap stocks is a very crude screening method, particularly when you consider the unreliability of corporate earnings. No trend indicator is used at all.

Dorfman's claimed results are way beyond what other researchers, such as O'Shaughnessy's 40-year study What Works on Wall Street, found.

I would be interested in comments on this article from VectorVest users.

Hang on, I'm skeptical that nearly 60% of american large caps have balance sheets that are so healthy. Equity greater than debt? I.e. an unleveraged balance sheet? 60%? Can't be.

A RATHER BULLISH LOOKING DAY IN THE SM

THE whoa-scary turnaround in the DOW--like the Monday turn around after Saddam was captured--will have zero predictive value--and it's just what the doctor orders in a bull mkt to straighten out overly bullish sentiment and send traders home with something to worry about over the weekend-the a/d line was still positive...a rather healthy "pause that refreshes"--[unfortunately, that Abby-the-Ape woman kind of remark is what we're gonna have to put up with from here on out-UGH!]

Archived