IDS World Markets Thurs 12th April 07

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

w?s=%5EAORD

Just cruising sideways today..... All Ords flat with little movement in the sectors. Telecomms are sitting at +0.8% on the green side and at the other end IT is -1%.

Nothing much happening in the miners: BHP -1% and RIO +0.4%. Newcrest is the only gold doing anything, +1.2%.

Oils are showing signs of life: Woodside +0.3% and Santos +1.3%.

Still bubbly in the UK :blink:

U.K. RICS House-Price Index Rises as Agents Have Less to Sell

April 12 (Bloomberg) -- U.K. house prices rose at a faster pace last month as the number of unsold properties on agents' books fell to the lowest in almost three years, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors said.

The number of real-estate agents and land surveyors reporting higher home values in England and Wales outnumbered those showing declines by 26 percentage points, the most since January, the London-based organization said today. The average number of unsold homes per surveyor fell to 60, the lowest since June 2004.

Today's report suggests that three interest-rate increases have failed to cool Britain's property market, where a shortage of homes helped drive prices up about 10 percent last year. Investors expect the Bank of England to raise borrowing costs again in the first half.

--------------

European Growth Will Outpace U.S. This Year, IMF Says

April 11 (Bloomberg) -- The International Monetary Fund raised its forecast for European economic growth and predicted this year will be the first since 2001 in which it outpaces U.S. expansion.

The economy of the 13 nations using the euro will expand 2.3 percent in 2007, beating the 2.2 percent predicted for the U.S., the IMF said in its semi-annual World Economic Outlook released today in Washington. The lender increased its forecast for Europe from 2 percent and cut its U.S. projection from 2.9 percent.

Euro-region growth is showing few signs of slowing from the fastest pace in six years after companies increased spending and hiring to meet booming export orders, pushing unemployment to a record low. The European Central Bank may need to raise interest rates more than once more this year if growth remains above its ``trend,'' or non-inflationary level, the IMF said.

Australian Employment Gains 10,500; Jobless Rate 4.5%

April 12 (Bloomberg) -- Australian employment climbed in March and the jobless rate fell to a 31-year low as builders and retailers hired more workers, pushing up the currency on expectations the central bank may raise interest rates as soon as next month.

Employment rose 10,500 after gaining a revised 23,200 in February. The jobless rate dropped to 4.5 percent from 4.6 percent, the Bureau of Statistics said today in Sydney.

---------------

Australia Dollar Reaches 17-Year High After Unemployment Falls

April 12 (Bloomberg) -- The Australian dollar reached a 17- year high after a drop in unemployment increased the risk the central bank will raise interest rates in May.

The currency is leading gains in the Asia-Pacific region this month as traders boosted bets borrowing costs will rise from a six-year high of 6.25 percent. The spread on Australian 10-year government bonds over similar-maturity U.S. Treasuries widened to the most in a week.

The iTunes store Wednesday began selling online movie titles from MGM, the Hollywood studio boasting the biggest catalog of modern movie titles. An Apple spokesman said a batch of 25 MGM movies became available at iTunes Wednesday, and that more titles will be added over the next few weeks.

MGM says its catalog comprises about 4,000 movie titles. These include such dandies as "The Thomas Crown Affair," "Ronin," and "Lilies of the Field."

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/004078.html

I'm curious as to how much revenue this will generate. You can get videos over the internet now but Apple gives you the ability to watch them on an iPod. I don't know how interesting that would be to me as I don't travel a lot. I think that the kids would be interested in this.

As usual, my guess is that Apple makes the money on the devices; not delivering the content.

I would just like to say I respect everyone on this board. I would hate to see anyone leave especially Lee. I have much of admiration for many of you and it really helps to get through a rough day by reading and laughing at the many great posts. I am sorry if I have offended anyone with my posts or pictures. My intent was only to entertain in a positive light. I am sorry Doc if I do not include links to stories or reveal sources of articles. I will try to do much better in the future. I do miss the individuals who have left and it is a shame that happened.

I have to say this board really helped me through some tough times recently. If you remember, my wife gave birth to twins last October. Both were doing fine. Then in November one died of NECROTIZING ENTEROCOLITIS, 90% of my son's intestines rotted away. The doctor did not even come in for almost 6 hours from the time his condition became alarming. God only knows what my baby was going through. By the time the doctor showed up he had to call in for an emergency surgery. My son died 24 hours later. I have found an attorney because my son was in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit while all this was happening. I am sorry to tell you this but I wanted to say that this board has helped me learn more about the markets as well as made me laugh when all I wanted to do is put my head down and cry.

I know we joke about the millions and billions individuals make as CEO's, traders, Pigmen, ,etc. But in the end what does it really matter.

Thanks again.

Bob

w?s=%5EAORD

All Ords had another day of stuffing around, managing only +0.1%. Telecomms, +1.8% propped the index to a degree as it was a fair drop to the next highest sector, Consumer Staples, +0.7%. IT continued to be the biggest loser, -0.9%.

In the miners, BHP slid a little more, -1% and RIO squeaked out +0.3%. Low volume on the golds with only Newcrest closing up, +0.9%.

Oilwise, Santos had a big day, +3.3% and Woodside didn't do so badly, +0.7%.

Asia mixed ranging from China +1% to Singers -1.3%.

Europe in a slide, so far:

t?s=%5EFTSE

t?s=^GDAXI

t?s=^FCHI

http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=europe

I totally missed this, thanks for pointing it out Shorty.

" Speculation on China

The dollar accelerated its drop against the yen yesterday after Reuters reported Chinese central bank Governor Zhou Xiaochuan, in an interview with Emerging Markets magazine, said China would stop stockpiling foreign exchange reserves totaling $1.07 trillion, the largest in the world.

``Many people say that foreign exchange reserves in China'' are already large enough, Zhou told Emerging Markets magazine, according to Reuters. ``We do not intend to go further and accumulate reserves,'' he said.

There may have been confusion over Zhou's comments, according to strategists including Scotia Capital's Sutton.

``The mere idea of China no longer accumulating reserves is preposterous'' unless China's yuan is allowed to flow freely, she said. ``We do not think this is about to occur.''

China is the second-largest holder of U.S. Treasury securities, with $353.6 billion, trailing Japan, which has raised $648.8 billion. As China diversifies away from dollar assets, it may push up yields on U.S. Treasuries and raise business and consumer costs. "

Full Article

Wow, why didn't commods gap up 30% on the back of that?

Maybe it's just a shot across the bow of gentle ben's dinky boat, at the same time it's a shot in the foot.

Looking up Zhou Xiaochuan Paulson in googler renders this pic of Dante's hell:

dante_hell.jpg

Archived