IDS World Markets Thurs 20th September 07

Fears of dollar collapse as Saudis take fright

Saudi Arabia has refused to cut interest rates in lockstep with the US Federal Reserve for the first time, signalling that the oil-rich Gulf kingdom is preparing to break the dollar currency peg in a move that risks setting off a stampede out of the dollar across the Middle East.

The Saudi central bank said today that it would take "appropriate measures" to halt huge capital inflows into the country, but anal cysts say this policy is unsustainable and will inevitably lead to the collapse of the dollar peg.

There is now a growing danger that global investors will start to shun the US bond markets. The latest US government data on foreign holdings released this week show a collapse in purchases of US bonds from $97bn to just $19bn in July, with outright net sales of US Treasuries.

The danger is that this could now accelerate as the yield gap between the United States and the rest of the world narrows rapidly, leaving America starved of foreign capital flows needed to cover its current account deficit - expected to reach $850bn this year, or 6.5pc of GDP.

Jim Rogers, the commodity king and former partner of George Soros, said the Federal Reserve was playing with fire by cutting rates so aggressively at a time when the dollar was already under pressure.

609148[/snapback]

So, are interest rates headed higher?

609168[/snapback]

It looks like Weimar run has started. :angry:

current futures quotes

SI Z07 13085 13570 13035 13565 + 460

CD Z07 98600 99780 98550 99970 + 1310

GC Z07 7296 7464 7289 7459 + 164

GC V07 7240 7381 7235 7381 + 151

TX Z07 79110 79140 78520 78525 -665

US Z07 N/A 111230 110310 111040 -200

SP Z07 154090 154200 153400 153850 -290

TY Z07 N/A 109175 108315 109035 -155

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canadian retailers are getting a windfall. They are NOT passing along their savings on imports from the US or anywhere else for that matter. Canadian consumers are getting screwed. Canadian residents who earn their livings in US dollars are just screwed, period.

Oh well, I could always sell may house and buy something nice in Plattsburgh.

Is there such a thing?

609178[/snapback]

The government will make things right. :D

To Suds:

On off topic, is there any non-main-stream-media information circulating about the recent "meteor" impact in Peru and the resulting illnesses?

609210[/snapback]

There isn't much informatin at all, since none of the reporters that went to the site have come back. :ph34r:

:lol:

Seriously, now... apparently folks got to the crash site after a few days and found this baby bathing in what looked like mud, and the putrid smell that made folks ill was just that the poor kid was in a serious need of a diaper change.

post-1762-1190299275.jpg

*DJ Bernanke:Govt-Backed Programs Must Not Bail Out Investors

I think this guy is certified bi-polar

what in the hell was the 50 basis pt cut for then?

609166[/snapback]

It's like giving a 7-year-old a $100 bill to go to the grocery store and telling him that he should only buy whole grain products, fruits and veggies. The reality is he'll come back with 60 candy bars.

609192[/snapback]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

609196[/snapback]

A sign of the times. I remember when a TEN would do that and I am under 70.(not by much) :lol:

609166[/snapback]

It's like giving a 7-year-old a $100 bill to go to the grocery store and telling him that he should only buy whole grain products, fruits and veggies. The reality is he'll come back with 60 candy bars.

609192[/snapback]

Depends where the 7yr old kid is located. If it's in south east L.A., he'd probably buy a gun, andd then come back with the whole frickin' store.

609211[/snapback]

I was reading Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends the other night to my son at bedtime. We came across Smart, and I couldn't help but laugh thinking that this might have been inspired by Bernanke as a child.

Smart

My dad gave me one dollar bill

Cause I'm his smartest son,

And I swapped it for two shiny quarters

Cause two is more than one!

And then I took the quarters

And traded them to Lou

For three dimes -- I guess he don't know

That three is more than two!

Just then, along came old blind Bates

And just 'cause he can't see

He gave me four nickles for my three dimes,

And four is more than three!

And I took the nickels to Hiram Coombs

Down at the seed-feed store,

And the fool gave me five pennies for them,

And five is more than four!

And then I went and showed my dad,

And he got red in the cheeks

And closed his eyes and shook his head--

Too proud of me to speak!

by shel silverstein

http://www.srp-enterprises.com/starrie/silverstein.htm

609166[/snapback]

609192[/snapback]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

609196[/snapback]

I could have gotten 60 bars for $3 as a kid in the 60'ies :blink:

A sign of the times. I remember when a TEN would do that and I am under 70.(not by much) :lol:

609223[/snapback]

Archived