Riverboat Capsized

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

short term prediction....If the market craters then the next place to keep the dream alive will be just above the previous low... A lower low would be not good...I think that is their play...The trading range trick to duct tape psychology...there is plenty of evidence that the muddle through or jobless recovery excuse will be able to explain it away for awhile... Oh my god it's financial doomsday... no it's not it's muddle through jobless recovery...

The higher high might be a problem though... just have to see...

Hypertiger:

What you are describing is The Paper Pyramid. The 700-story JPM Towering Inferno.

As time goes on, a larger and larger base of recruits are required to sign on the dotted line in order to push the Multilevel Marketing Pyramid up another notch. Each successive base becomes larger and larger. When the base runs into exhaustion and collapses, the entire Pyramid starves and implodes.

California Firefighters:

This is the top job in California. The most coveted position among those who do not have advanced degrees. Average fireman here makes $150,000, working minimal hours. Most have massive construction businesses on the side, and make a fortune "off hours" running their empires from the fire station.

The City of Los Angeles had openings for 15 firefighters a couple of years ago. There were so many applicants, the fire department had to rent the Rose Bowl in order to handle all the applicants.

Check out any F-350 Crew Cab pulling a huge boat or motorhome in Los Angeles. More than half are owned by firemen, identified with the firehat logo sticker on the back window. These guys have tons of toys, supermodel wives, and live a carefree existence.

Flat out, being a California fireman is the best job on the planet.

Probably the best job on the planet until there is no way to further increase state and local taxes. Then the cutbacks will begin when the RE bubble starts to impode.

Don't know exactly when that will be - as RE prices in the area where I live are now about 5 times annual household income. Never thought it would get that high.

Could this happen HERE???

Nah!!! (Here's a truncated version of much of what is said by HRFF's FURmer P'ton professor Stephen Cohen in his latest work on Russia). It's illustrative of what can happen when the wheels fly off an economy and power falls into the hands of the few, at the expense of the many. Cohen alleges, inter alia, 240 MILLION Russians were plunged into poverty and more orphans were created by the economic convulsions of the 1990's/post-Communist era than were caused by the horrors of WWII, which claimed the lives of tens of millions.

These are the sorts of visions conjured up by HyperTiger. Sure hope he?'s wrong!

http://demography.narod.ru/mortality/2001/doder.html

BobBrinker Weekend Update:

He must be followed closely, as a key Agent within The Matrix.

This weekend, he is gloating about how his "market timing" has allowed his model portfolios to gain 17% YTD vs. a 11% gain on the Wilshire 5000.

Bragging on how he "nailed" the March 11 lows by noting the "successful retest" of the prior lows.

A caller wanted more info on the new gold ETF, whether or not it was a decent investment. He disparaged gold as a "complete disaster" for investment purposes, and said the price performance when measured against the $800 highs was "pathetic".

Said the Thursday employment report was critical. He expected no major change. He still says that the stock market will continue to rise, discounting an economic recovery later this year or into 2004.

Another caller inquired about the "grants" being given to first time homebuyers, and whether he should take advantage of it. He said that these "grants" were absurd, must be a catch, and said it was probably a "loan".

More embarrasment for the bears.

The matrix membership ID card has an anti-gold validation requirement stamped boldly on the back. I hate this guy. :angry:

I'm going with Jimmy Rogers this time. Selling and shorting. :P

Could this happen HERE???

Nah!!! (Here's a truncated version of much of what is said by HRFF's FURmer P'ton professor Stephen Cohen in his latest work on Russia). It's illustrative of what can happen when the wheels fly off an economy and power falls into the hands of the few, at the expense of the many. Cohen alleges, inter alia, 240 MILLION Russians were plunged into poverty and more orphans were created by the economic convulsions of the 1990's/post-Communist era than were caused by the horrors of WWII, which claimed the lives of tens of millions.

These are the sorts of visions conjured up by HyperTiger. Sure hope he?'s wrong!

http://demography.narod.ru/mortality/2001/doder.html

The NY times recently had a story about how Russia was "recovering". They did mention that this recovery started after a 50% plunge in industrial production in the late 90s.

Most people in the US would call a 50% drop in production a major depression. That would translate into 10 to 20 million jobs lost in the US if that happened here. Aren't bubbles fun?

Guest libertas
Probably the best job on the planet until there is no way to further increase state and local taxes. Then the cutbacks will begin when the RE bubble starts to impode.

Oh there is always a way. That's what will cause California to be the deepest into the depression

CoBoy- what you LOOK for is a large and meaninful change in the Commercials position- on the way up they were not overly bullish-I suspect they were as surprised as we were at how high it did go. However their flip this week to a net short position of minus 42,144 is meaningful and a hard right turn. As to Nasdaq you are very wrong they added 14,048 to their shorts on NDX putting them net SHORT 18,645 contracts as of Tuesdays close -this is a NEW 52 week-HIGH on the NDX for the Commercials and is a MAJOR sell signal. And of course and as always at market turns the small trader Bulls are net long up the wazoo. Trade Safe!

CoBoy- what you LOOK for is a large and meaninful change in the Commercials position- on the way up they were not overly bullish-I suspect they were as surprised as we were at how high it did go. However their flip this week to a net short position of minus 42,144 is meaningful and a hard right turn. As to Nasdaq you are very wrong they added 14,048 to their shorts on NDX putting them net SHORT 18,645 contracts as of Tuesdays close -this is a NEW 52 week-HIGH on the NDX for the Commercials and is a MAJOR sell signal. And of course and as always at market turns the small trader Bulls are net long up the wazoo. Trade Safe!

nice post brian, thanks..

That's what will cause California to be the deepest into the depression

Yes indeed, The state will be hit hardest out all all in the union. Without a doubt. It will be very dire, especially moreso in Sillycon Valley. I can already envision massive defections from the state once the tax rate becomes completely out of control.

Brian,

Are they generally Shorts and/or Puts and is there anyway to determine how far out the Puts are?

Thanks,

CA

Just watched Part II of "The Money Masters" linked by dmckin on Hyper's forum. Conclusion; Don't wish for a gold standard. International banks hold 90% of the world's gold. I assume this means they let it fly when they are good and ready .

Butt8,

Can ye, pls, provide the URL for MoneyMasters Part 2?

I can't find Part 2 anywhere!

success!

gruff

Just watched Part II of "The Money Masters" linked by dmckin on Hyper's forum.   Conclusion;  Don't wish for a gold standard. International banks hold 90% of the world's gold.  I assume this means they let it fly when they are good and ready .

It's true, as you say, that "on the books" the CB's have 90% of the gold.

However, the more important statistic, as put forth by the excellent work by Frank Vennaroso, is "how much is actually in the vaults"?Turns out there is a pretty good chance that anywhere from 25% to 50% of the book amount has been leased to the open market, never to return.

It's dowry, baubbles, bracelets, pandas, and all sorts of things, but what it is NOT is bars within a CB vault.

Gold is the only investment I have which I am sure has a zero chance of turning into a big fat zero.

Archived