IDS World Markets Wed 7th December 05

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

t?s=^AORD

Yet another one of those sideways days, *yawn*. All Ords +0.2% and the only sector showing much life is Energy, +0.9%. Utilities are down the most, -0.9%.

Gold producers are steaming north, up around 2%. BHP and RIO both up but not as much as the golds. In the oils it looks like Woodside confirming the new all time high, currently +0.8%. Not much happening on the others.

Marginal gains in Asia so far..

European Economies: Retail Sales, German Orders Rose

Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- European retail sales rose the most in three months in November and manufacturing orders in Germany increased more than forecast in October, reinforcing the European Central Bank's view that the economy is gathering pace.

An index of retail sales in the dozen nations sharing the euro rose to 50.7 from 50.4 in October, according to a survey for Bloomberg LP by NTC Research Ltd. published today. Factory orders in Germany rose 2 percent from September, the Economy Ministry in Berlin said...

Australia's Economic Growth Rate Slows to 0.2%

Dec. 7 (Bloomberg) -- Australia's economy slowed more than expected in the third quarter from its fastest growth in 1 1/2 years as the government spent less, record fuel costs dented consumer spending, exports fell and companies cut inventories.

Asia-Pacific's fifth-largest economy expanded 0.2 percent from the second quarter, when it expanded 1.3 percent, the Bureau of Statistics said in Sydney today.

-----------------

Australia's Central Bank Keeps Rate Unchanged at 5.5%

Dec. 7 (Bloomberg) -- Australia's central bank left its key interest rate unchanged today as growth in Asia-Pacific's fifth- largest economy slowed from the fastest pace in 1 1/2 years and falling oil prices ease inflation pressures.

Federal Finances Slide into Deep Budget Hole

by Charles Mackay, Tuesday December 06 2005

The US federal budget deficit expanded to about $82 billion in November - roughly $25 billion worse than in November 2004.

A black hole seems to have opened in the bottom of Treasury coffers. The US Treasury suddenly announced midday Tuesday an auction for a third December short term cash management bill. The amount was $11 billion, bringing the total outstanding CMB borrowings to a record amount of $49 billion. This amount is scheduled to be repaid in full next week, although the huge size of these borrowings makes their repayment problematic for the Treasury. In early December 2004, the Treasury borrowed $42 billion in CMBs.

more in the WSE

http://wallstreetexaminer.com/?itemid=1802

w?s=^AORD

Chart action indicates weakness creeping in toward eod although most stocks on my screen appeared to be performing in an orderly fashion. All Ords closed +0.2% and the Energy sector extended its gains to close +1.6%. On the other hand Utilities slunk lower, -1.1%.

The gold producers continued to perform well. With pog $512, we may have a few nervous shorts out there, both in stocks and the metal.

Asia chugging upwards with the only red being Taiwan, -0.3%.

Over to Europe:

t?s=^FTSE

t?s=^GDAXI

t?s=^FCHI

http://quote.yahoo.com/m2?u

tantalum market has

substantially recovered from the volatility of the year 2000 'electronics

bubble' and demand is now growing at 5-8% per year.

Tantalum's has the ability to store and release electronic charge and its main

use is in the manufacture of capacitors, components that regulate the flow of

electricity in electronic circuit boards. Capacitors are widely used in most

electronic devices, especially mobile phones, digital cameras, DVD,s gaming

platforms and laptops.

Being inert, with a high melting point, tantalum is also used in medical

implants and in special alloys for the aerospace industry where the markets are

also expanding. With increasing demand from China as its processing and

electronics industries develop, demand has recovered to its pre-bubble record

levels. Raw material demand is currently 5,000,000 lbs/year tantalum pentoxide

and growing at an estimated 5-8% per year, after averaging over 8% annual growth

in the 1990's.

Major Western raw material processors currently source the majority of their raw

material supply on long-term contracts from Sons of Gwalia's hard-rock mining

operations in Western Australia. Another significant supplier of raw materials

to the market is the U.S. Defence Logistics Agency, which traditionally sells

around 500,000lbs per annum of tantalum pentoxide in concentrates. However, its

stockpile will be depleted within 12 months at current disposal rates.

99% of you can ignore this post.

For the other one percent, let me make myself clear.

My livelihood depends on selling subscriptions to an investment newsletter. This message board is a conduit to introduce potential new subscribers to that newsletter.

I am not here to be a hall monitor for idiots who refuse to follow the guidelines, one of which is "No politics." I am not here 24 hours a day. When some moron starts something that is likely to piss off other morons, I don't have the time to go back and cleanse every offending post and every repost of offending posts.

I have asked that politics not be discussed here because it always inevitably leads to problems. Most people do not want to read political and geopolitical arguments on a stock market and investment message board. If you want to participate in that kind of discussion, then go where they talk about those things, not here.

One or two of you have taken it upon yourselves to threaten me and criticize me right here on the board, for the way I run things . This is the height of self-serving stupidity and rudeness. Do it again, and it will be the last time. I'm tired of these disruptions. If you have a complaint, send it to me privately, and I will discuss it with you. Or go post your complaints about me somewhere else. If you are not here to help others, AND to help me achieve my goals for this place, then you are hereby invited to leave.

I love this board, and I love the people who post here, and the people who come here to read and learn, and I am not going to let you ruin that, for me, or anyone else who comes here for education and enjoyment. We're here to talk about the markets and to have a little fun in the process. If you don't get that, then you don't belong here. If I have to spend a little time enforcing the basic guidelines, then I'll do it. Those few who want to argue with me about that are going to find themselves cut off from participation here. That will be their loss, not ours.

So please, don't waste your breath threatening me. Because you will be the loser. The other 99% of us will continue on here, and continue to make this place better than ever.

I sincerely apologize to all for this rant. I thank you for your patience with me, your understanding, and your support.

Now lets go have some fun, and get back to the business of what we are here for -- making money in the market, Bear, or (heaven forbid :)) Bull.

Foxy

A small section of the UK press are reporting that the German property market is THE one to invest in for the longer term.

I think this idea was first mentioned by Jum Mellon the head of the fund management firm Regent Pacific, they've got a pretty good record over the last several years.

Any thoughts on this?

Link 1

Link 2

Archived