B4 The Bell Thursday October 14

It's not an irresponsible generalization to say that the community of nations, representing 90-plus percent of the earth's population, rejects our government's argument that Iraq must be invaded--and fears George W. Bush far more than it fears Saddam Hussein.

I think they want a "regime change"..hopefully, they'll get it.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James Baker's Double Life by NAOMI KLEIN The Nation, November 1, 2004

When President Bush appointed former Secretary of State James Baker III as his envoy on Iraq's debt ?, he called Baker's job "a noble mission." At the time, there was widespread concern about whether Baker's extensive business dealings in the Middle East would compromise that mission, which is to meet with heads of state and persuade them to forgive the debts owed to them by Iraq. Of particular concern was his relationship with merchant bank and defense contractor the Carlyle Group, ?

Until now, there has been no concrete evidence that Baker's loyalties are split, ? . But according to documents obtained by The Nation, that is precisely what has happened. Carlyle has sought to secure an extraordinary $1 billion investment from the Kuwaiti government, with Baker's influence as debt envoy being used as a crucial lever.

The secret deal involves a complex transaction to transfer ownership of as much as $57 billion in unpaid Iraqi debts. The debts, ?, would be assigned to a foundation created and controlled by a consortium in which the key players are the Carlyle Group, the Albright Group (headed by another former Secretary of State, Madeleine Albright) and several other well-connected firms. Under the deal, the government of Kuwait would also give the consortium $2 billion up front to invest in a private equity fund devised by the consortium, with half of it going to Carlyle.

[...]

So who is most affected by a business slowdown. Well it's simple - all the above and then some. But the one most affected will be the one who gets the biggest piece of the quarter. I don't know who that is but I suspect it's Office Depot - they are taking the biggest risk.

Good point. I think it may be startling to know just how little the factory actually gets as a percentage of final retail price in the US.

Recently the Canadian broadcasting Commission was attacked by little, teeny Bill O'Reilly cuz Foxes application for Canadian Cable was turned down cuz in the Commissions opinion it was neither fair nor balanced in its coverage. Teeny Bill said it was cuz Canada was afraid to hear the truth-not so Teeny Bill we know Bullshit when we see it and smell it and you reek of it! ;)

In case you missed it:

A 100-year bear market?

Today's headlines confirm Prechter's dark predictions

Given this rapid, dramatic shift -- from the glowing promises of the '90s to the dark realities of today -- we felt forced to re-examine Prechter's predictions of a devastating market crash and a 100-year bear market.

Prechter's message never wavered: Recently he told me: "One thing I've repeated consistently is that the great bear market will take the DJIA at least below 1,000 and likely to below 400. Precedents for this severe a decline are the English stock prices in 1720-1722 and American stock prices in 1929-1932."

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?...rss&siteid=mktw

The Big Contraction is here and there will be no ideas or machinations that can stop it.

Straight-line thinking, Cause and Effect laws work fine during expansion (inflation).

I turn switch. Bulb lights.

When expansion stops and contraction (deflation) begins, straight lines begin to bend.

I turn switch. Maybe the bulb lights.

In order to extend the expansion phase past its natural contraction, Man has tried to set up his own laws of Cause and Effect.

He has attempted to make bending lines straight by controlling the immediate environment around which these laws operate (City Life).

But now he has created too many laws to fit into that immediate environment. They are spilling over into areas not under his control. (Ancient Iraq and Afganistan)

As he tries to fiddle with the spill-over, he must neglect the false Cause and Effect laws he once controlled and all the Causal laws are beginning to lose their Effects.

Thus the contraction has begun in earnest and there is no way out. If one can straight-line-think of a way out. It will not work.

Life is a infinitely bigger than the one we see in our computer screens.

Interesting comments.

A 100 year bear market, which basically implies a collapse of our modern way of life, is almost unfathomable.

I would envision that a 100 year bear market is more like a 100 year period of chaos where civilization finally levels off at some natural type level.

I am not looking forward to the chaotic part.

from todays London Daily Telegraph, the Vancouver Sun and Israeli Daily Haaretz- " The most senior Islamic Terrorists are are being held in a ultra-secret ghost Prison in Jordan run by the CIA. The article in the Israeli Daily haaretz written by Yossi melman a leading authority on Intelligence said at least 11 Senior Al qaida and other terrorost Leaders are being held in Jordan, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, Abu Zubadayah and riduad Isamuddin. "Their detention outside the U.S. enables CIA interrogators to apply methods that are banned by U.S. Law . There was no immediate comments from Officials in Jordan" Sure glad Abu Ghaid was an anomaly- Huh! ;)

from todays London Daily Telegraph, the Vancouver Sun and Israeli Daily Haaretz- " The most senior Islamic Terrorists are are being held in a ultra-secret ghost Prison in Jordan run by the CIA. The article in the Israeli Daily haaretz written by Yossi melman a leading authority on Intelligence said at least 11 Senior Al qaida and other terrorost Leaders are being held in Jordan, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, Abu Zubadayah and riduad Isamuddin. "Their detention outside the U.S. enables CIA interrogators to apply methods that are banned by U.S. Law . There was no immediate comments from Officials in Jordan" Sure glad Abu Ghaid was an anomaly- Huh! ;)

Jordan officially denied running a secret prison -- which tends to confirm the story.

If it were just a wild unfounded rumour, Jordan would feel no need to respond.

Archived