IDS World Markets Wed 28th November 07

Dow up 340 pts, Naz up 3%, BKX up 5%...  :o

... and here I am holding the only red thing on my screen.. CFC calls are down for the day.  :lol:

That is absolutely hilarious.  Any other year it would be pretty depressing.

628656[/snapback]

Countrywide says it's not in trouble

Countrywide Financial Corp. moved to reassure investors Tuesday that it wasn't borrowing too much and wouldn't be constrained in its ability to provide home loans.

"We said it back in August, we said it in September, we said it last week, we'll say it until we turn blue in the face, but we have ample liquidity to fund our growth and operational needs," David Bigelow, Countrywide's managing director of investor relations, said at an FBR Capital Markets conference in New York.

Countrywide shares rose 33 cents, or 3.8%, to $8.97, marking only the second gain in two weeks for the stock. The shares are down 79% this year.

Bigelow rejected criticism that Calabasas-based Countrywide had threatened the soundness of the Federal Home Loan Bank system by borrowing excessively. He also said Countrywide didn't expect issues affecting Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to materially hurt its ability to make home loans.

LATimes

Personally, I think blue might be an improvement on orange.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dow up 340 pts, Naz up 3%, BKX up 5%...?  :o

... and here I am holding the only red thing on my screen.. CFC calls are down for the day.?  :lol:

That is absolutely hilarious.? Any other year it would be pretty depressing.

628656[/snapback]

Countrywide Financial Corp. moved to reassure investors Tuesday that it wasn't borrowing too much and wouldn't be constrained in its ability to provide home loans.

"We said it back in August, we said it in September, we said it last week, we'll say it until we turn blue in the face, but we have ample liquidity to fund our growth and operational needs," David Bigelow, Countrywide's managing director of investor relations, said at an FBR Capital Markets conference in New York.

Countrywide shares rose 33 cents, or 3.8%, to $8.97, marking only the second gain in two weeks for the stock. The shares are down 79% this year.

Bigelow rejected criticism that Calabasas-based Countrywide had threatened the soundness of the Federal Home Loan Bank system by borrowing excessively. He also said Countrywide didn't expect issues affecting Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to materially hurt its ability to make home loans.

LATimes

628669[/snapback]

"He also said Countrywide didn't expect issues affecting Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to materially hurt its ability to make home loans."

How could it hurt its ability to make home loans? It already doesn't HAVE any ability to make loans.

Oh oh, bad news for bears, Cramer:

Savor This Rally; It'll Get Ugly Again

Market hugely Dover Sole, more Dover Sole than anytime in years. Third-to-last day of the quarter, the last day you can mark up stocks without worrying that the feds will investigate you. A successful offering from the most beleaguered enterprise out there -- Freddie Mac . New, fresh capital from overseas for the worst of situations. Comments from a Fed head that actually recognized that something might be wrong, helped by incredibly and undeniably weak data.

Link

Oh oh, bad news for bears, Cramer weighs in

Savor This Rally; It'll Get Ugly Again

Market hugely Dover Sole, more Dover Sole than anytime in years. Third-to-last day of the quarter, the last day you can mark up stocks without worrying that the feds will investigate you. A successful offering from the most beleaguered enterprise out there -- Freddie Mac . New, fresh capital from overseas for the worst of situations. Comments from a Fed head that actually recognized that something might be wrong, helped by incredibly and undeniably weak data.

Link

628671[/snapback]

Boy, that IS bad news. And Abbey Jo nowhere in sight.

Dow up 340 pts, Naz up 3%, BKX up 5%...?  :o

... and here I am holding the only red thing on my screen.. CFC calls are down for the day.?  :lol:

That is absolutely hilarious.? Any other year it would be pretty depressing.

628656[/snapback]

LATimes

628669[/snapback]

Definitely.

post-1762-1196280647.jpg

sudaca, what those markets doin down south of the equator?

628675[/snapback]

Goin' bananas, of course... Brazil, Mexico up 4%, add in currency effect and it gives you 6-7% in USD terms for the day.

Brazilian bank ADRs up 10-11%.

Even Ecuador and Bolivia, that don't have stock markets, are up :huh:

I think the Fed is gonna have to cut, and cut aggresively, BTW.? I think Fed Funds target has to go down 100bps in the next 6 months.

628559[/snapback]

what happens when dollar tanks another 20%? Oil will be over $150/bbl and gasoline, home heating oil and natural gas will be over $5/gal.

Consumers are already getting squeezed. More squeezing isn't going to help. As it is a recession is inevitable. Cutting rates will simply turn it into a depression.

Cutting rates only works if the existing debt can be refinanced at a lower rate and at the same time additional debt is created to spur growth. This is impossible at this junction. Already debt is being destroyed and asset prices are declining. Refinancing is not possible and the capacity to expand debt, in aggregate, does not exist. The price of marginal debt is irrelevant.

628570[/snapback]

Brilliant and succinct. Love it. However, I agree with Suds. US rate cuts will be matched by rate cuts elsewhere. There are also forces related to debt contraction and the need of some foreign holders to pay debt service and payoffs in dollars that could boost the dollar. From that standpoint, it's hard to know which way the dollar will go. I'll stick with what the charts are telling me. The size and staying power of a short term dollar rally here should give some good clues about just how low the dollar is headed in the big picture.

628592[/snapback]

How is this for the Dollar rally. :unsure: and check real money B)

GC Z07* N/A 8159 7910 8050 + 47

GC G08* N/A 8232 7981 8120 + 47

TX Z07* 75145 75735 75075 75140 + 35

Archived