B4 The Bell Thursday August 5

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i rarely agree with doc politically, but the fact is that kerrey served, bush did not... the underlying logic is just that kerrey could be caommander in chief... bush has been CIC for 4 years so maybe its a wash.... the more important point that doc made is about the "trends" in our govt, which are even filtering through to lower levels - in our little hamlet, we now have red light cameras at intersections. they are ugly, intrusive and actually kinda scary. this govt acts more dictatorial than democratic - im not sure i want to see how far they go with another 4 years.... still undecided.

edit: hey doc, just sat thru another 8 hrs of mind-numbing USPAP. got 8 more today! :angry:

8:30am 08/05/04

U.S. weekly jobless claims fall in latest week

By Corbett B. Daly

WASHINGTON (CBS.MW) -- The number of people filing for unemployment insurance for the first time fell by 11,000 to 336,000 in the week ended July 31, the Labor Department said Thursday. The four-week average of new claims, which smoothes out distortions in the weekly figures caused by weather and other one-time factors, rose by 6,750 to a level of 343,500. Meanwhile, the number of Americans continuing to receive state unemployment benefits fell by 35,000 to 2.91 million in the week ended July 24. The insured unemployment rate, measuring the percentage of claims among those eligible for benefits, remained unchanged at 2.3 percent.

Shouldn't the headline be

"The four-week average of new claims rose by 6,750 to 343,500"

I was responding to your posting of Republican presidential campaign propaganda.

I am a lifelong Democrat. It is in my blood and part of who I am. I don't like Republicans, and I especially don't like right wing Republicans. And I am not going to allow right wing lies to be posted on this website without challenging them.

The material cited comes direct from where all the other filth comes from in that campaign. I find it hard to understand how anyone with a skeptical eye would be willing to buy into this crap. This is the adminstration that looked for legal ways to torture people. Lying isn't something that phazes them in the least.

You may not like Kerry, but he is the only option. Voting Libertarian or for Nader, whom I admire, is a wasted vote. The issue is, we have to stop this gang that's in there now. That is the only issue as far as I am concerned.

Kerry is the man. I support him and his campaign, and I have done so financially.

That's my position, lest there was any doubt. Now feel free to post whatever you want. I will be here to respond when I feel it necessary.

Several facts have come out about Kerry's duty in Vietnam. any number of opinions can be formed from these facts.

1. Kerry volunteered for Officer school knowing he would end up in a war zone

2. Three purple hearts was a ticket out of Vietnam

3. Kerry elected to leave Vietnam after 4 months of service because he had 3 purple hearts

4. 2 of 3 purple hearts awarded to Kerry involved no lost time and did not require a trip to the hospital

5. Third purple heart involved 1 day of lost time but did not require a trip to the hospital

Some veterans love Kerry and some despise the man for his actions during and after the war. Both are well reasoned points of view imho.

mho

Getting shot/injured in war does not make you a hero.

Wishing to get out of a war zone does not make you a coward.

for the rest of it - I do not live in the US but I have been enjoying what it has given the world.

You guys should vote according to your your consciense.

now somebody please kick the pig :lol:

mho

for the rest of it - I do not live in the US but I have been enjoying what it has given the world.

Don't kick the Pig!

A little boy comes down to breakfast. Since they live on a farm, his mother asks if he had done his chores. "Not yet," said the little boy. His mother tells him he can't have any breakfast until he does his chores.

Well, he's a little pissed, so he goes to feed the chickens, and he kicks a chicken. He goes to feed the cows, and he kicks a cow. He goes to feed the pigs, and he kicks a pig.

He goes back in for breakfast and his mother gives him a bowl of dry cereal. "How come I don't get any eggs and bacon? Why don't I have any milk in my cereal?" he asks.

"Well," his mother says, "I saw you kick a chicken, so you don't get any eggs for a week. I saw you kick the pig, so you don't get any bacon for a week either. I also saw you kick the cow so, for a week you aren't getting any milk."

Just then his father comes down for breakfast and kicks the cat as he's walking into the kitchen. The little boy looks up at his mother with a big smile, and says, "Are you going to tell him, or should I?"

Doc "Events is the propaganda rag of the extreme right wing. I am truly dismayed that you would want to be a tool of the current crowd of liars, thugs, and propagandists who do Goebbels and Goehring proud. "

Doc? Thats what you call Vietnam Vets Organization ?Men who served with kerry.

bearman: as a Vietnam vet, 1st Air Cav 1966-67 all I can say is that my service and others like me should not be part of the political debate today. I think the current problems offer plenty of debate.

After fighting in Viet Nam, Kerry came to the right conclusion, and his decisions to quit the war, and his position after leaving the war were the right ones, in my opinion.

Bush stayed home, drank and partied, and shirked his duty. I think that contrast says it all about the character issue here.

mho

http://www.wavsite.com/sounds/14722/down16.wav

Archived