IDS World Markets Tues 22nd January 08

And now a message from your friends, the pigmen:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...Qqas&refer=home

"Investors should use the recent tumble in global stocks as an opportunity to buy them, according to UBS AG."

"``We understand the macro challenges facing the economy and many uncertainties, but we believe this level of pessimism is unwarranted,'' New York-based strategist David Bianco wrote in a note today. ``The market is panicked over a substantial and secular drop in the S&P 500's earnings power.''

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Needless to say, the intraday oscillators are at levels I haven't seen before. They bounced on the open at 7 AM, but are now rolling over again. Actually the DIA didn't bounce. Just the SPY and qqqq, both of which are now headed for the lows again.

Ugly.

I have no clue where our Wall Street Examiner Professional Edition open ETF chart picks will trade, but I suspect that one of them will hit its target price in the early going, which under our rules would close out the trade. On the other one, I removed the target price because it appeared that the chart had more potential on the downside than was indicated.

BAC and Wach just smelled up the room...both missed by over a dollar:

7:03 [bAC] Bank of America Q4 EPS 5 cents vs $1.16

7:04 [WB] Wachovia Q4 earnings 3 cents per share vs $1.20

639072[/snapback]

You've got to look on the bright side, at least they still got earnings (or so they say).

"Bank of America Corp., the second- largest U.S. bank, said earnings dropped 95 percent after at least $5.28 billion of mortgage-related writedowns."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...8itA&refer=home

When the brokers tell everybody to not panic and sell, I look at it this way.

Selling isn't panic.

Standing frozen like a deer in the headlights and not selling; that's panic.

When I spoke to my cousin last Monday about the market, it triggered a rational fear response, and he did the prudent thing. He sold. He was in the minority. Everybody else panicked and froze.

Archived