Baghdad Riverboating

Anyone wonder why U.S. troops keep getting killed in Baghdad?

Oil? No.

Politics? No.

Occupation? No.

Lack of water? No.

Lack of food? No.

The reason the Iraqi population is in an uproar is because they are being left out.

Left out of The Great Global Speculative Stock Market Frenzy.

From today's Los Angeles Times:

IDLED TRADING IN BAGHDAD FRUSTRATES IRAQI INVESTORS

U.S. officials plan a modernized, stronger stock exchange. Shareholders and brokers wonder what is taking so long.

But Iraqi investors are becoming impatient.

"No one can buy, no one can sell", said Hassan Abdul Latif, owner of Al Jazeera Brokerage Co. in Baghdad. "Everything has stopped. Investors are suffering."

Each day, Latif finds himslef soothing the nerves of anxious clients who visit his office to ask when trading will resume. Abdul Kahlil Fadhl, a 62-year old retiree who says his $50,000 nest egg is tied up in Iraqi stocks, is so frustrated he's thinking about organizing a demonstration. "I feel hatred against the government that is causing this stagnation," he said.

For the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority, the first order of business is a new location for the stock exchange. Once the exchange is up and running, it will relieve pent-up pressure for some popular stocks expected to rise, such as shares of State Co. for Carbonated Drinks, which makes Pepsi here, and hotels such as the Babylon and the Palestine, which are doing good business thanks to the reconstruction workers and journalists in town.

No, this story is not a joke.......

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great intro wndy.....what a bizarre world we live in today... :unsure:

and on a related topic...

"US base hit after Bush visit" News24

yup, I'm sure morale is waaay up in Iraq now....yuppers... :P

And this one caught my eye....

Russian oil merger 'suspended'

Guardian - 3 hours ago

The planned merger of two Russian oil giants threatened to unravel today when Sibneft, one of the companies, said it was suspending the deal.

Not sure where this one is going, but it seems destabilizing to me...one more thread unraveling...i.e. higher oil...hit to the mkts? :unsure:

Hey Guys,

I wonder if Halliburton will get the contract for the new and improved Iraq stock exchange. On second thought I see old cueball Grasso heading for Iraq right now ,with a somewhat more modest pay package, augmented by all the Iraqi "virgins" he can handle. Aahh yes, it brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. :cry:

On a more somber note, I'm starting to hear a bit more about the gold bull from the lips of John and Jane Q these days. While I have no idea how far this puppy can go it does catch my attention when Oyster is calling for aa intermediate term top in the next couple of weeks combined with Crapvision attention. The people I have recommended these stocks to, who have poo pooed them for quite awhile, have actually started to buy them and ask for more "tips".

Just an observation that makes me say, with respect for those of you who are wildly bullish on commods in general, lets be careful out there :wink2:

For the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority, the first order of business is a new location for the stock exchange. ?[/i]

i vote for Kabul. that'll teach 'em.

I vote for Kuwait City. Not only were valueless securities traded for ever higher prices there in 1990, but payment for them was made on kited/uncashed checks. Therefore there is no need for a Fed-like authority to continually pump in "repos" to maintain market levels. Participants provide their own fiat money supply.

Hyper-right on-that is a classic "what you gonna do when the well runs dry-you gonna sit right there and cry!-I'm Walkin oh yes indeed I'm walkin". Todays abbreviated session was a joke this POS is like an SUV stuck in the mud with all 4 tires spinning--It would NOT surprise if it CRASHED. Trade Safe!

Today the market was open for only 3.5 hours. To see how volumes match up to normal trading days we divide 6.5 hours by 3.5 and then multiply the volumes today by the answer (1.857). Looking at KGC we did 1,117,200 shares and 47,700 just after the bell. Multiply that by 1.857 we get 2,167,490. So it would have done more than 2.1 million shares on a normal trading day. For the KGC breakout, volumes are very important. Stocks don't go higher on lower volume... well, that's not entirely true. Some do but when they pull back they really have deep retracements. But the longer stocks extend themselves on lighter volume the bigger the destruction when they finally break down.You don't want to buy stocks that go up because there's a lack of sellers but due to new money being committed. KGC enjoys a firm bid and looks like she's going higher.

post-7-1070046068_thumb.jpg

Anyone wonder why U.S. troops keep getting killed in Baghdad?

Oil?  No.

Politics?  No.

Occupation?  No.

Lack of water?  No.

Lack of food?  No.

The reason the Iraqi population is in an uproar is because they are being left out.

Left out of The Great Global Speculative Stock Market Frenzy.

From today's Los Angeles Times:

IDLED TRADING IN BAGHDAD FRUSTRATES IRAQI INVESTORS

U.S. officials plan a modernized, stronger stock exchange.  Shareholders and brokers wonder what is taking so long.

But Iraqi investors are becoming impatient.

"No one can buy, no one can sell", said Hassan Abdul Latif, owner of Al Jazeera Brokerage Co. in Baghdad.  "Everything has stopped.  Investors are suffering."

Each day, Latif finds himslef soothing the nerves of anxious clients who visit his office to ask when trading will resume.  Abdul Kahlil Fadhl, a 62-year old retiree who says his $50,000 nest egg is tied up in Iraqi stocks, is so frustrated he's thinking about organizing a demonstration.  "I feel hatred against the government that is causing this stagnation," he said.

For the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority, the first order of business is a new location for the stock exchange.  Once the exchange is up and running, it will relieve pent-up pressure for some popular stocks expected to rise, such as shares of State Co. for Carbonated Drinks, which makes Pepsi here, and hotels such as the Babylon and the Palestine, which are doing good business thanks to the reconstruction workers and journalists in town.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

windy, i pissed in my pants!!! What a piece!

"Hassan Abdul Latif, owner of Al Jazeera Brokerage Co." :wink2: :wink2: :wink2:

Archived