B4 The Bell Tuezelday September 21

Hiding Bear

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bush, in Shift, Taps Into Emergency Iraq Funds

15 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - After initially insisting it had enough money, the Bush administration has begun tapping its $25 billion emergency fund for the Iraq  war to prepare for a major troop rotation and intense fighting this fall, administration and congressional officials said on Tuesday.

Already the Pentagon has used more than $2 billion from what the White House dubbed its "contingency reserve" fund. The money is being used to ramp up production of armored Humvees to support the upcoming troop rotation, as well as to buy body armor and bolster fuel supplies, the officials told Reuters.

The decision to tap into the $25 billion reserve fund underscores growing concern within the administration about the rise in anti-American violence in Iraq.

It also comes on the heels of last week's announcement that the White House planned to divert nearly $3.5 billion from Iraqi water, power and other reconstruction projects in a bid to improve security.

"As we've always said, our troops in the field will have what they need, when they need it," said Chad Kolton, spokesman for the White House Office of Management and Budget.

"In this case, making some of those resources available now ensures that our troops will have the equipment they need going into the fall," when the troop rotation is planned, he added.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=...ng_dc&printer=1

Orvack - I agree with you about copper.

It has been in a long corrective wave since the beginning of the year - see weekly chart below.

Looks ready to break out upwards.

Something close to at least 158 very possible.  That's about $6000 per contract from today.

That what I see in the copper stocks. Getting ready to get in.

As for futures, that account is loaded with silver options...

Ex. : Amerigo (ARG.to)

Out of a nice cup, retracement to the support :

post-20-1095781255.jpg

The carry trade is the motor of the U.S. economy. Shut it down, and an eerie silence ensues ... before the sheet hits the fan for real.

Excuse my ignorance on bonds, but at what point did the carry trade start and at what point would it end?

Is this a valid way to measure it:

So would above a .5 ratio end it?

post-20-1095781405.png

barfing all bullish all the time " As we noted ahead of the last Fed meeting, the market has historically bottomed after the second rate hike by the Fed. This trend held in the latest cycle." Perhaps someone can explain to me how a flatter yld curve is bullish for equities? I know I am a little dense, but give me a freaking break

Archived