B4 the Bell Turdsday July 8, 2004

I lost my job today.  Entire Miami office was closed down and everyone was given their walking papers.  No warning, no severance, no nada.

Another friend down here is in the process of "training" his Russian replacement as his job is about to be outsourced.

Yet another friend here works for Siemens, which is closing it's Ft. Lauderdale software development office in August.  At least he got some notice.

Explain to me again like I'm 5 years old how the economy is improving and jobs are booming?

Shit, I have to think of how I'm going to tell my wife and kids.  This blows.

wow twig, sorrry to here about the job. not the first stoolie that its happened to. good luck.

i was at my best client's office yesterday. they have about 15-20 cubicles in a main bullpen area. just ONE was occupied, and its usually humming. ONE person and the rest were let go after a takeover. thats so sad as banking jobs are gonna contract as rates increase and or loan volume contracts. it was relly striking to see the almost empty bullpen, equipped cubicles, chairs and the whole enchilada; but, no name tags in the slots, no people, no energy, no jobs. thats alot misery there.

TB, Dick gets thrown undr the bus for medical reasons.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twignberries, Just read your last post. Am so sorry to hear that. Are there any other companies doing what your company did, in your area? Are they all shipping jobs overseas? Can you relocate, or change careers?

Your wife and kids should understand. It's not your fault. If you can involve your kids in the process of belt tightening, like it's a game, they may find it easier to take. Kids actually do well when real difficulties present themselves. They rise to the challenge and are remarkably resilient. Take care :wink2:

I lost my job today.  Entire Miami office was closed down and everyone was given their walking papers.  No warning, no severance, no nada.

Shit, I have to think of how I'm going to tell my wife and kids.  This blows.

Sorry about that, Twig.

They'll probably be supportive if you just tell them frankly, as you told us.

The Powers That Be want to keep the economy afloat through end of the year. So despite all the bearish talk about the markets here, there should be some residual momentum in the real economy which may help you land a similar position quickly.

But always consider going independent if you can swing it ... it's an opportunity for thinking out of the box.

This little chart is shown on a little wider scale going back to 5/26. Why? I dono. It means nothing. Nothing!

To make it a little bigger I had to recize it and drop color - may put it back tomorrow. Thinking of like fire at the bottom.

Hyper, I thought you went away. Too facinating, isn't it.

Wrecked Him, These chart programs should all let us filter out 10% spikes, but it's not a perfect world. Livecharts QC:ADVDECV is like that too.

twignberries, wow - thats really tough. Best of luck to you though - youll figure something out.

post-20-1089332455.gif

Twig- I just saw your post, man I am so sorry- very apropos to your post the other night on the perils of being a Canuck working in the U.S.-my nieces husband survived every cut by Nortel over the years until the one last week and they just had a second child-it SUCKS that they can get away with this stuff. Edmonton beckons I guess-all the best to you and your family!

McHugh who has a very HOT hand lately-is predicting a waterfall crash in his mid week update. Says the Semi's are leading the way projects at minimum 350 on the SOX and a possible 300-Wowza! ;)

I challenge you masterful 1....

Mr. McHugh is 99.9216% bearish 99.5268% of the time..and of course even a broken clock is right twice a day....so I would rather go with Doc anyday than a Precther type guy like himself.

But maybe Im just pissed off with the drawdowns on my LONG positions :D ..o well

we'll c

twig,

i know it sucks right now, but MH is right. if you can go independent and keep overhead low, you can always survive and really prosper during good times. im essentially unemployed everyday until i find work, but you get used to it and actually take pride in going solo. i know its tough, i walked out of a fee-split situation in like 1987 and i didnt know where i was going, had NO clients of my own and had signed a non-compete agreement at the place i walked outta, BTW, i finished my assignments with them, but they renegg'ed on a deal and i couldnt continue under those circumstances.

just remember what today feels like and vow to never feel that way again.

BDK- Welcome back I see you are your usual acerbic self-you've been missed- I think we bounce somewhere around 1070 something-may rally back to 1120ish before the waterfall. You're just mad because McHugh has been right give the guy credit! ;)

I lost my job today. Entire Miami office was closed down and everyone was given their walking papers. No warning, no severance, no nada.

Another friend down here is in the process of "training" his Russian replacement as his job is about to be outsourced.

Yet another friend here works for Siemens, which is closing it's Ft. Lauderdale software development office in August. At least he got some notice.

Explain to me again like I'm 5 years old how the economy is improving and jobs are booming?

Shit, I have to think of how I'm going to tell my wife and kids. This blows.

Ah man, sorry to hear that. Sucks :(

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. We will be fine. We have lots of family and friends for support. I like to believe I am good at what I do :) So I'm confident we will land on our feet.

We had planned a vacation to Edmonton on the 16th of this month. Non-refundable tickets and car rental, so I guess we will probably take the vacation as planned and use the time to make some clear headed decisions. I'll look around for work here in the meantime, and poke around in Edmonton while we're there as well.

First decision to be made is where do we want to be. Ft. Lauderdale is nice, but far from home.

I lost my job today. Entire Miami office was closed down and everyone was given their walking papers. No warning, no severance, no nada.

Yet another friend here works for Siemens, which is closing it's Ft. Lauderdale software development office in August. At least he got some notice.

Shit, I have to think of how I'm going to tell my wife and kids. This blows.

Just saw your note. Sorry to hear this. My experience on Wall Street was the same - sudden layoffs with no warnings. In one case, I was actually told to leave immeadiately. This was always a part of mass layoffs and I always managed to recover with a new position fast. But I eventually opted fo something more stable with less chance of a lyaoff.

Tell your family the way it is and hope for the best. It will be unsettling to everyone but moving on to something new, such as suggested above, will probably give you a new burst of energy later on.

Good luck and stay in touch.

Archived