B4 The Bell, Moonday April 12

And what about the weekend warrior guardsmen? Anyone know if and when they were ever used in overseas combat? I know Shrub got frontlined into the Guard to avoid serving in Nam. :angry:

I'll answer that one. :P

As of Friday, 52 National Guard and Reserve troops had died in the Iraq war. Although the Pentagon says it has no comparative statistics readily available, that total apparently is the highest death toll since the Vietnam War, a much longer conflict in which far fewer reservists served.

"Weekend warrior is dead," said Lt. Gen. H Steven Blum, chief of the National Guard Bureau, which oversees all reserve forces. "The National Guard is and will continue to be used at a rate that is unprecedented" in the 30-year history of the all-volunteer military.

Iraq Duty Sets Record for Guard, Reserve

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the 9/11 commission grills the Attorney General Tuesday, here's what they should ask.

????Until now, Attorney General John Ashcroft has been a beneficiary of the intense attention paid to National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice. The controversy surrounding Rice has taken the focus away from Ashcroft's own counterterrorism record -- a record of misplaced priorities, missed opportunities and mistakes. But, on Tuesday, Ashcroft will raise his right hand, take an oath and testify publicly before the 9/11 commission.

????Here are 10 key questions the commissioners should ask the Attorney General:

1) If counterterrorism was a top priority for the Justice Department prior to 9/11, why did Ashcroft ignore the FBI's specific request in August 2001 for additional counterterrorism resources?

????That month the FBI submitted their internal budget request to the Department of Justice, seeking 248 counterterrorism agents and support staff, 54 translators to review a backlog of foreign language intelligence and 200 professional intelligence researchers to analyze the intelligence. Yet when Ashcroft submitted his final budget request to the White House on Sept. 10, 2001, 24 hours before the al-Qaida attacks, he did not request funding for any of the FBI's urgent needs. In fact, Ashcroft proposed cuts in counterterrorism efforts, including a $65 million reduction for counterterrorism equipment grants, a $20 million reduction for border control and a $1.4 million reduction for the National Domestic Preparedness Office. Of the 68 programs where Ashcroft proposed increases, not a single one involved counterterrorism. In Attorney Janet Reno's budget for 2000, counterterrorism was her first priority. What was Ashcroft's thinking that led him to remove it as a priority and to propose extensive cuts?

http://truthout.org/docs_04/041304E.shtml

Terrorist chemical threat 'worse than suspected'

By Mark Huband, Security Correspondent, in Paris

Published: April 12 2004 5:00 | Last Updated: April 12 2004 5:00

Terrorists plotting to use chemical weapons in Europe have more advanced plans than security services previously suspected, a senior French counter-terrorism official has warned.

Small groups of chemicals experts have been detected in several European countries and have developed ways of communicating with each other that allowed them to avoid being exposed.

"We have underestimated the terrorists' willingness and capacity to develop chemical weapons," the French official told the Financial Times. He said a recent wave of arrests in Britain and France has revealed how far they had developed their plans.

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?p...d=1079420277921

For Captain's Log. Bowie.

I

I will be king

And you

You will be queen

Though nothing will

Drive them away

We can beat them

Just for one day

We can be Heroes

Just for one day

And you

You can be mean

And I

I'll drink all the time

'Cause we're lovers

And that is a fact

Yes we're lovers

And that is that

Though nothing

Will keep us together

We could steal time

Just for one day

We can be Heroes

For ever and ever

What d'you say

I

I wish you could swim

Like the dolphins

Like dolphins can swim

Though nothing

Will keep us together

We can beat them

For ever and ever

Oh we can be Heroes

Just for one day

I

I will be king

And you

You will be queen

Though nothing

Will drive them away

We can be Heroes

Just for one day

We can be us

Just for one day

I

I can remember

Standing

By the wall

And the guns

Shot above our heads

And we kissed

As though nothing could fall

And the shame

Was on the other side

Oh we can beat them

For ever and ever

Then we can be Heroes

Just for one day

We can be Heroes

We can be Heroes

We can be Heroes

Just for one day

We can be Heroes

We're nothing

And nothing will help us

Maybe we're lying

Then you better not stay

But we could be safer

Just for one day

...9/11 commission grills the Attorney General Tuesday, here's what they should ask...

Get real Plunger my friend. That testimony will be like a

slow pitch girls softball game. Whatch for Kerry to be the relief pitcher if

Asscrafty has trouble getting on base. K will put the Osama your mama

spin on and A'crafty will hit it out of the park. Just my op. They all

work together, get paid on Friday and take home free office supplies.

Oh - almost forgot - RCL may be getting ripe.

Depends-Don't forget as Zen just posted that Kimmit has asked for two MORE brigades of troops-that won't go down well. MWH re your earlier post-the rules of engagement for American troops are different from those of NATO or Canada or the Brits-the American mantra is overwhelming force (shoot first and ask questions later) the others are defend yourself when fired upon. Note the Brit area of Iraq is quiet and note their criticism of the American rules.

WOOOOOOZAAAAAA......

Hope some of u boys were short NFI.....

GMR still moving.....

MRDX breaking out.....

Positive D everywhere on the PMs.....

No question echo bubble coming to an end soon....my only concern....record short positions on lots of tech stocks and the QQQ ...may have a blowoff first

Stocks moving 300% in a day, infomercials on daytrading on every channel....caught Waxie Parness ? this weekend....WTF

Check out MACE today 4-9 and over 10 after hours as Cramer touted it on K n C as the next TASER

Anthony Noto of NAZ 10000 fame ....who touted Internet stocks alll the way down being lauded today on K n C for giving YHOO a strong buy at 44

Need any more signs....some well respected trader on K n C today said he was shorting all strength with Index Puts .....feels the Iraqi situation is going to get uglier....Daboyz were incredulous

TRADE SAFE

Plunger:

Here's another one.

From yesterday's Los Angeles Times:

"Crazy for Condos"

"Condominiums increasingly are the most popular option on the block, resulting in sharply higher prices and attracting high-income move-up buyers."

"I wanted to live in the city, said Dr. Matilda Jude, 32, a radiologist who recently bought a 2 bedroom condo in Brentwood for $470,000. "I'm very happy where I am, I'd do it all over again."

"Everyone is buying condos everywhere", said Walt Tamulinas of ERA in Yorba Linda. His daughter, Kristy, 30, bought a 3 bedroom townhouse for $301,000 in July, and today its worth $425,000.

"Alle Tithof, 29, a tanning salon owner, and her husband, Matt Hill, 30, who runs a venture capital firm in Santa Monica, looked at 50 condos and bid on 4, before landing the 1,800 sq. ft. 2-bed unit for $505,000."

"Jeff Ris, 44, and his wife Noel, 43, recently moved up to a $900,000 3-bedroom townhouse in Manhattan Beach. One reason for the spike in luxury townhome construction is the increasing demand for second homes."

"Buyers are cashing in their stocks and putting the money into vacation and weekend beach units that sell for $1.2 million and $2 million, said Dennis Maloney, a Shorewood agent in Manhattan Beach."

"Nelly Farnoody, a 32-year old psychologist and her surgeon husband, Dr. Zahiri, 35, will close escrow soon on a 1981 4-bedroom 3,300 sq. ft. townhouse in Bel-Air for $1 million."

War in Iraq??

Who cares??

Not these people. No material adverse change expected in plastic surgery, tanning, radiology, and psychiatry as a result of the Iraq situation.

I feel like I'm living in Alice in RepoLand. Hard not to get sucked into the Credit Vortex and not participate in the Real Estate Frenzy.

Many friends are astonished that I no longer own a home, throwing money away on rent, and buying gold and silver.

I am the Manhattan Beach Nutcase.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just heard GWB ruminating on NPR about how much he is looking forward to the recommendations of the 911 Commission :huh: , and that it might be time to start looking at reorganizing the country's intelligence services. Apart from the fact that 2 1/2 years after 911 and just before an election is somewhat late in the game to be doing this, I was wondering if Sled has any outsourcing ideas on the President's suggestion? ;) ;)

This chart has the largest real estate gains over a five year period by zip code. The largest gain is 159% in Oakland California.

Wyndy's story is amazing. stock options as a form of compensation have to end. These people are essentially looters of public companies who get to step up to the printing press time and time again. It's like winning the lottery... all luck, no skill required. Insiders get to have a 24/7/365 party with money they create. The message gets out that only losers don't have options, so everyone wants them, or more of them. Get a few "anal cysts" to issue some buy recommendations to get the stock into ZooAnimal mode, and presto, you have so much money you don't even know what to spend it on.

Meanwhile, a person has to take hazzard pay in Iraq to try and save his farm. Even though he produces an honest product in an honest fashion. Paper spinmeisters live like royalty, to hell with everyone else. The government has their back in cahoots with central banks, crapvision and the whole merry band of crooks.

Medical evacuations in Iraq war hit 18,000

By Mark Benjamin

United Press International

Published 3/31/2004 3:04 PM

WASHINGTON, March 31 (UPI) -- In the first year of war in Iraq, the military has made 18,004 medical evacuations during Operation Iraqi Freedom, the Pentagon's top health official told Congress Tuesday.

The new data, through March 13, is nearly two-thirds higher than the 11,200 evacuations through Feb. 5 cited just last month to Congress by the same official, William Winkenwerder Jr., assistant secretary of defense for health affairs.

In both cases, Winkenwerder described the evacuations as "total evacuations out of theater," and he said both times that the majority of evacuations represented routine medical treatment and not life-threatening injuries.

"As of March 13, 2004, data from the Transportation Command shows 18,004 total evacuations out of theater," Winkenwerder said Tuesday.

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20040330-051545-6818r

Archived