IDS World Markets Wed 14th June 06

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

t?s=^AORD

The buyers were waiting right from open as the last of the sellers reacted to the US action. All Ords off the lows, currently -0.3% after being down around 1.5% at one stage, however there will probably be some roller coaster action for the rest of the day. Materials is the only green sector, +0.5% and Energy is down the most, -1.4%; unusual to see those two diverge.

BHP and RIO are both green with BHP +0.5% and RIO +2.3%. The golds are still red but it's minimal compared to the last few trading days.

In the oils, Santos and Woodside are both down around -1.2% but buyers are nibbling.

A fair range in Asia from China -1.6% to Taiwan +1.4%.

w?s=^AORD

Oops bit late with the arvo report, been doing the backyard blitz for the last couple of days with more to come. I didn't get to see much of the action but I wasn't in the least surprised to see All Ords close +0.2%. This is a bounce off pretty good support but where it goes now is anyone's guess. Materials led the sectors, +1.3% and IT finished down the most, -0.5%.

BHP and RIO had a good innings. BHP ended +1.5% and RIO did even better, +3.3%. In the golds, Lihir and Newcrest closed +1% but Newmont slipped into the red, -1.1%.

The oils did well with both Woodside and Santos closing on their highs.

A mixed bag in Asia ranging from China -2.5% to Taiwan, +2.1%.

Over to UK/Europe:

t?s=^FTSE

t?s=^GDAXI

t?s=^FCHI

http://quote.yahoo.com/m2?u

U.K. May Jobless Claims Reach Highest in Four Years

June 14 (Bloomberg) -- U.K. jobless claims rose in May to the highest in four years as the effects of last year's economic slowdown and higher energy costs prompted companies to shed workers.

The number of people claiming jobless benefits climbed 5,800 from April to 950,900, the highest since April 2002, the Office for National Statistics in London said today.

Economic growth slowed to 1.8 percent last year, the lowest rate since 1992, triggering the longest stretch of rising jobless claims for 13 years.

China's Industrial Output Growth Accelerates in May

June 14 (Bloomberg) -- China's industrial production rose the most in two years in May, reinforcing expectations the central bank will further restrict lending in the world's fastest-growing major economy.

Output at factories, mines and power plants climbed 17.9 percent after rising 16.6 percent in April, the Beijing-based National Bureau of Statistics said in a statement today. The gain beat every forecast in a Bloomberg News survey of 22 economists.

Australian Consumer Confidence Falls on Higher Rates

June 14 (Bloomberg) -- Australian consumer confidence dropped to an eight-month low in June as record gasoline prices and higher interest rates sapped household budgets.

An index measuring confidence fell 0.5 percent from May to 103.8, its second consecutive drop, according to a survey by Westpac Banking Corp. and the Melbourne Institute released today in Melbourne.

I was wrong. Just gave away another 2 1/2 % of my profits by my FTSE/DAX long shenanigans. I am hoping that the inflation figures cause a further ramp in the futures to get out of 2 positions breakeven. If not then I will close them for a loss then GO SHORT.

What was I thinking. Even I think the decline is long in the tooth. Actually Wednesday and Thursday should be a bloodbaths according to my charts.

RESESTABLISHING SHORTS and LIMIT ENTRY SHORTS

BDK

Archived