B4 The Bell Humpday July 21

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10:56am U.S. WILL CONSIDER QUOTAS ON SOCK IMPORTS FROM CHINA

Given the significance of the SOX to the markets and the economy, I for one am glad to see someone doing something to defend the SOX!!!

:D

10:56am    U.S. WILL CONSIDER QUOTAS ON SOCK IMPORTS FROM CHINA

Given the significance of the SOX to the markets and the economy, I for one am glad to see someone doing something to defend the SOX!!!

No not those socks, Mr President. The ones you put on your feet! You know, big L on the left foot, big R on the right foot.

The script calls for using MSFT to lead the markets higher.

The Boys need to bring the price down to get on board the train before it leaves the station. Nothing new in that thought.

I of course could be very wrong as well.

I have an opposing view. Everyone already owns as much MSFT as they want and what happens then? Looks to me (declining volume) that eveyone who wanted to own stocks in general was already in. Much like the home lenders scraping the bottom of the barrel, the stock market paper pushers are out trolling for buyers. Desperation?

10:56am? ?  U.S. WILL CONSIDER QUOTAS ON SOCK IMPORTS FROM CHINA

No not those socks, Mr President. The ones you put on your feet! You know, big L on the left foot, big R on the right foot.

If he just put on his suit over his bunny PJs, he wouldn't need socks ... or shoes.

David Crosby & Graham Nash announce candidacy for POTUS

www.crosbynash2004.com

Crosby could become the first president to pardon himself.

Crosby Fined for Drugs, Guns

"By the time we got to NASDAQ

"It was painful to be long,

"And the tout houses were wrong,

"And had conflicted interests.

"And I dreamed of Kudlow and Cramer

"Riding P/Es in the sky,

"And no one asking why

"Buy Krispy Creme Donuts.

"We are anal cysts

"Who are beholden

"To the folks who make our handshakes golden,

"And we've got to ingratiate ourselves with Goldman-n-n-n-n.."

etc., etc.

Some investors might wonder what the big deal is about Ford's profit coming entirely from its financing arm. After all, a profit's a profit, isn't it? It is -- but many industry experts are concerned that the company can't seem to make any money on its main business, and is relying too much on low interest rates and easy credit to keep its balance sheet looking healthy. As UBS put it in a research note, it's "hard to get excited about these gains as they essentially borrow earnings from future periods." Ford Credit makes up 20 per cent of revenue, with autos at 80 per cent.

And Ford's profit improvement didn't just come from its financial unit, it also involved some favourable accounting. UBS estimated that the firm's profit was boosted by about $200-million from a reduction in loan-loss provisions.

Ford should get away from the credit business and back into cars

Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - Page B9

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/Articl...21//?query=ford

Archived