B4 the Bell, Turdsday Sept. 23, 2004

Guest yobob1

I think that at some point ? perhaps very, very soon ? the Bush administration will have a political emergency on its hands as high oil prices start flowing through into shocking price hikes at the gasoline pump. That means that reversing themselves on an SPR drawdown will become a political necessity.

If that happens ? or should I say, when that happens ? some amazing things could occur. First, we'll see oil prices drop like a rock, perhaps as much as $10 in a single day. Second, we'll see George Bush's poll numbers shoot skyward. Third, we'll see the stock market rocket back up through the trading range and challenge the highs of the year.

Why? Because ordering a drawdown from the SPR will break the story that's supporting the oil bubble. It'll make Bush look presidential ? he "did something" about high oil prices. I've argued here that the stock market strongly prefers to see Bush re-elected, so the market will rally strongly as Bush's chances are improved. Of course the market will also rally simply because lower oil prices will be great for the economy. But then again, a great economy makes it even more likely Bush will be re-elected. It's a virtuous cycle.

http://yahoo.smartmoney.com/aheadofthecurv...?story=20040820

Didn't Daddy Bush open the SPR in 1991?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
=DJ NEWS WRAP: Topps Net Dn 31% On NHL Card Delay, Candy Woes

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Topps Co. (TOPP) on Thursday posted a 31% plunge in earnings for its latest quarter, citing the stalled release of National Hockey League trading cards ahead of a players' lockout, a strong lineup of basketball rookies a year earlier, and a sticky candy market.

Dow Jones Newswires

Blame it on the unemployed hockey players and white guys who can't jump. They can't afford their Ritalin for ADD, and are therefore avoiding sweets.

This candy business can get real sticky at times. Nothing like real life to gum up the works. The players need a sweet deal. They think the owners run a candy store.

I, too, blame the current malaise on the NHL. College hockey RULES!

I love the way most people thing that the SPR is a rabbit in the hat.

High oil prices, don't worry we've got the SPR

Oil causing a drag on the economy, don't worry we've got the SPR.

So:

1) what happens when the SPR doesn't do much (if they release some capacity)

and,

2) what happens if the SPR is only half full and there's a REAL reason for using it......

You know how sneaky the Arabs are, I bet one of their goals is to see some of the SPR released..............

Deutsche Bank cut Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM: news, chart, profile) to 'hold' from 'buy' and lowered its oil sector rating to 'neutral'.

" We've lowered our profit targets from 65 million dollars an hour, to just under 61 million dollars an hour." ;)

:lol: :lol:

they'll make it up in volume. :P

would *really* like to see the 10yr tank here.

The N.Y. Times is running an article..."Deal in Congress to keep Tax Cuts, widening Deficit" the guts of the article is that as they ram through the cuts knowing they will massively increase the deficit..they throw this in.."Republican Lawmakers said Wednesday that they hope to have a vote soon on a Constitutional Amendment that would require the Government to balance the Budget by 2010, EXCEPT if the Country is at WAR." Pass the Barf Bag...and if you really want to get ill read the article in full, note the numbers and read the last paragraph which has comments from the Red Neck Okie Senator Don Nichols whose knuckles drag on the ground when he walks.

DJ NY Republican Claims Heinz Ketchup Use Supports Kerry

SARATOGA, N.Y. (AP)--An upstate Republican has condiment giant H.J. Heinz Co. (HNZ) seeing red after claiming the use of its ketchup is equal to supporting Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

Assemblyman James Tedisco made the remark earlier this month while speaking at a Saratoga County Republican rally.

After reading the lawmaker's comments in an article published by The Saratogian, a Heinz official e-mailed the newspaper to say the company's ketchup is a nonpartisan condiment.

"Heinz ketchup is America's favorite ketchup and enjoyed by Republicans, Democrats and Independents alike," wrote Debora Foster, vice president of communications for Heinz.

Kerry, a Democratic senator from Massachusetts, is married to Teresa Heinz Kerry. She was married previously to the late Sen. John Heinz, a Republican, whose family founded the company.

Foster, however, pointed out that neither Kerry, his wife nor any of the Heinz's trusts or endowments hold a significant percentage of shares in the Pittsburgh-based company, the newspaper reported in Wednesday's editions.

Tedisco, a Republican from Schenectady, pledged during his speech that he "will not eat one ounce of ketchup until Election Day."

Though Tedisco said his words were tongue-in-cheek, he added that he "certainly won't eat Heinz ketchup until after the election."

"I made a commitment," he said, "and I'm going to stick with it."

Dow Jones Newswires

DJ NY Republican Claims Heinz Ketchup Use Supports Kerry

SARATOGA, N.Y. (AP)--An upstate Republican has condiment giant H.J. Heinz Co. (HNZ) seeing red after claiming the use of its ketchup is equal to supporting Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

I'm sure Republicans near the depressed city of Pittsburgh will appreciate morons like this boycotting one of their successful companies. even if it is tounge in (butt) cheek.

Archived