B4 The Bell, Tuezelday, July 6

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MH- As you know I have been predicting that you would have a VAT tax in your future for many months. We have had one in Canada for years on everything but food. A consumption tax is not a bad thing if the $'s go to pay off the deficit and fund MediCare as they do here.

Guest yobob1
Twig-

You would still be entitled to your social security check. Make sure to leave them your forwarding address. :lol:

Yobob-

The poverty line for a family of 4 is around 13K I believe, and hasn't been changed in many years. The only social engineering we have had in the last 3 years has been tax breaks and special deals for corporations. The working poor still can't afford health care. The elderly still can't afford essential medications. And our government says it is a crime to import medicines from Canada because Canadian drugs are not safe.

My point is Doc, we've tried the government route and that's not working. Throwing more money at it isn't going to fix it. One wonders what happened to the Doctors' oath along the way. Bizzaro is correct in that it's not just the poor or the rich feeding at the trough it's rampant everywhere on the scale and those of us left, a shrinking minority, to fill the trough are getting damn tired.

During the depression, my grandmother paid the doctor with chickens. Try that one today.

Outages Cause Oil to Set One-Month High

Tue Jul 6, 2004 10:16 AM ET

By Toby Reynolds

LONDON (Reuters) - Oil prices rose to their highest level in a month on Tuesday as supply disruptions in Iraq and Nigeria added momentum to a five-day rally.

U.S. light crude (CLc1: Quote, Profile, Research) climbed 94 cents to $39.33 a barrel in the first trade since weekend pipeline sabotage cut Iraqi oil exports almost in half. The U.S. market was closed on Monday.

London Brent crude (LCOc1: Quote, Profile, Research) rose 56 cents to $36.86 a barrel.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?t...storyID=5597768

Archived