Mean Market

I'd make a case for 1120 SPX before the next small correction takes place.... :unsure:

post-1110-1257982251.jpg

Ok, we're there now. Can we revert to the mean now, fer crissakes!

t24_au_en_usoz_6.gif

Oh, you mean the ass'n'pee. Nevermind.

gilda_radner_jane_curtin.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like a lot of those battery names but they are certainly a crap shoot.

Whatthehell, as long as you're playing with small cap story stocks, hold it and put a $6 GTC forever sell on it and forget it. There's a lovely bottom h*s on the weekly.

jshotz.jpg

And I recently heard a snippet of a speech by Obomber saying something about the "new" ethanol that was on the horizon that was viable, unlike the 'old' ethanol. Added it to my watchlist as well.

this is exactly right. i shorted the market and real estate from 2005-2007 only to get my ass handed to me. what is obvious to us only becomes obvious to the rest of the world much later because they are ignorant (or possibly stupid). i talk to people that have absolutely no idea what it means to monetize debt. yet they happily throw money into stocks and bonds (" Because I'm diversified!").

this rally is crap. the rally/lack of collapse of 10 and 30 year bonds is crap. but who the hell knows when they will all finally figure it out.

It's very simple really. If the Fed is buying and removing enough securities from the market, then prices must rise. The Fed's actions accomplish two things. They increase demand, and they reduce supply, since it's the Fed's intention to never sell. Ipso facto, markets will rise until the Fed stops this artificial skewing of supply and demand. And stop they will, either because they blunder and misinterpret the house of mirrors illusion of success, or because some exogenous force or power stops them.

It's not crap. It's manipulation. Manipulation is real. Everything else is crap.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that manipulation -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Manipulation is right.

Manipulation works.

Manipulation clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Manipulation, in all of its forms -- manipulation for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the surge of mankind into the abyss of moral hazard.

And manipulation -- you mark my words -- will not only save Geezer Homes, Goldman Sacks and Pillages, and Hewlett Thedogsout but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

Until, eventually, cruel reality brings it all to an end.

Whatthehell, as long as you're playing with small cap story stocks, hold it and put a $6 GTC forever sell on it and forget it. There's a lovely bottom h*s on the weekly.

jshotz.jpg

And I recently heard a snippet of a speech by Obomber saying something about the "new" ethanol that was on the horizon that was viable, unlike the 'old' ethanol. Added it to my watchlist as well.

Inv H&S or cup and handle it does look like a nice setup - I just hope it works out. I think the issue is more with my current levered position than with the company. Prior to the recent dilution the company did receive a buyout offer in 2007 or 2008 for $2/sh so there is interest in the company. Will continue to hold my full position in my IRA and pare back the position in my trading account.

One of my favorite hidden green stocks ever was Xantrex which has since been bought out by Schneider electric. One of the lessons I learned is valuation, what is worth $18 to one person is worth only $14 to another (the one with the money). One needs to be careful when attempting to value these types of companies.

Here's another one for ya.

There's no such thing as value.

ESPECIALLY for stocks that don't pay a dividend.

You own nothing. No right of control. No claim on earnings. Zip.

The value of something is the bid price.

Warren Buffet is different. For him, there's value because he gets control, and with control, he gets a claim on earnings. Buffet buys businesses. That's a very different matter than buying stocks.

There's really no difference between a stock, and a betting slip on a horse race or participation in the office football pool.

I continue to think of this as a finite world (per my quote below my name). Of course that leads to the currency question. You can have a finite world and infinite currency. That then leads to relative currencies; which is basically who is debasing their currencies faster.

If there was a major change to occur in the markets, it would be in the currency markets. If one nation stood up in way to make the value of the currency real, a lot of trades would flow there if there was a story to follow it. Of course getting the debt of the nation into the plus category would be necessary. And the numbers would have to follow it and be real versus imaginery numbers.

Global quantitative easing is the worst. It is a symptom of credit issuance exceeding costs.

Why does the stock market go up? Because some companies pay dividends short term which exceed other more risk adverse investments. Because of an excess of shorts in some instances.

One thing I don't see discussed at all is every pension plan that has a 7 percent annual return expectation. I haven't figured that out yet, how pension plans are counted as income by pretending a higher long term return at some companies.

If you live in a society where you have drilled into your brain that the currency becomes increasingly worthless, it is hard to buy the dollar. Therefore, you are told to invest in global companies. To me that seems like guessing on their currency quesses more than their own business. Plus, if you are assuming a seven percent return on your pension plan obligations, having your currency go south, seems frightening.

My own question is: how exciting is it after the easy money, and second, after the next required deleveraging, if it still exists?

Latest Story

The Endless Up Phase – Professional Edition

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 By Lee Adler Cycle based stock screening data was mixed on Wednesday. New short term buy signals continued to diminish, as is natural and expected as a cycle matures. Sell signals are not yet increasing, which would be the first clear sign that the short term up phase was approaching an end. Click here to download complete report in pdf format (Professional Edition Subscribers). Try the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that time, you don’t find the information useful, I will give you a full refund. It’s that simple. Click here for more information.

Don't doubt many people swear by Dell but I know someone who "went on a payment plan" for one of their laptops and it was a nightmare service wise when they needed to get help... all i know is my HP PC's and printers have been reliable every time I've bought one. Don't care where they are made...we don't make sheet hear anyway so on a point of purchase decision not an issue cause we out sourced everything...check that...we do make stuff....a sheetload of "debt"....and we are good at it too...

Who the hell buys a computer on a payment plan????? If you can't afford to pay cash for one, you can't afford it. Simple.

I think that the problem many of us still have is in attempting to make sense of the market in terms of the economy. This is not wise. The stock market has absolutely nothing to do with the economy.

Marc Faber on BNN, brought over from IDS explains why it is backward. As economic conditions worsen the Fed creats more money which flows into equities. :unsure:

It's very simple really. If the Fed is buying and removing enough securities from the market, then prices must rise. The Fed's actions accomplish two things. They increase demand, and they reduce supply, since it's the Fed's intention to never sell. Ipso facto, markets will rise until the Fed stops this artificial skewing of supply and demand. And stop they will, either because they blunder and misinterpret the house of mirrors illusion of success, or because some exogenous force or power stops them.

It's not crap. It's manipulation. Manipulation is real. Everything else is crap.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that manipulation -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Manipulation is right.

Manipulation works.

Manipulation clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Manipulation, in all of its forms -- manipulation for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the surge of mankind into the abyss of moral hazard.

And manipulation -- you mark my words -- will not only save Geezer Homes, Goldman Sacks and Pillages, and Hewlett Thedogsout but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

Until, eventually, cruel reality brings it all to an end.

I wonder if the makers of the movie Wall Street realized that the behaviors depicted in it would end up causing an economic crisis as severe as the one we're in. Certainly most of the viewers of it didn't; they went home and merrily bought and held stocks. The amazing thing really is that it took 20 more years after the movie came out for it to happen.

I wonder if the makers of the movie Wall Street realized that the behaviors depicted in it would end up causing an economic crisis as severe as the one we're in. Certainly most of the viewers of it didn't; they went home and merrily bought and held stocks. The amazing thing really is that it took 20 more years after the movie came out for it to happen.

...ummm. No. I do believe that the movie Wall Street was filmed and in the can just prior to the 1987 crash. Michael Douglas and the producers actually looked like idiots given the timing. I think the release was delayed due to the crash.

In 2007 the same studio was pining for a sequel, also starring Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen. They may even have filmed it. If so, it too sits in a can waiting for better times...since they did it again, the market crashed...again.

Perfect contrarian signalmakers these Hollywood producers. It's no wonder they occasinally have trouble getting financing. :lol:

Archived