B4 The Bell, Moonday, May 17

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bear markets descend on light volume, not because there is more selling but because there is less buying. Bear markets have always been marked by diminishing volume. It is the nature of the beast.

How true, in general..........which made me hesitate when I saw last week's volume bar on the QQQ chart..........which almost looked capitulative :blink:

chart.asp?symb=qqq&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=3&maval=10,30&uf=8&lf=4&lf2=32&lf3=268435456&type=4&size=2&state=11&sid=144065&style=350&time=9&freq=2&comp=NO_SYMBOL_CHOSEN&nosettings=1&rand=166&mocktick=1&.gif

.....and this.....

chart.asp?symb=smh&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=3&maval=10,30&uf=8&lf=4&lf2=32&lf3=268435456&type=4&size=2&state=11&sid=176070&style=350&time=9&freq=2&comp=NO_SYMBOL_CHOSEN&nosettings=1&rand=7167&mocktick=1&.gif

....but the good ole hunchback chart pattern proved highly useful....yet again.

chart.asp?symb=smh&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=3&maval=50,200&uf=8&lf=4&lf2=32&lf3=268435456&type=4&size=2&state=11&sid=176070&style=350&time=8&freq=1&comp=NO_SYMBOL_CHOSEN&nosettings=1&rand=9834&mocktick=1&.gif

Sure TE there will be bounces along the way that will be shortable but I don't see a bounce just yet. The last 24 hours have been interesting in that every Major world market sold off together. We haven't seen that since 2002 and to me that indicates that the Financial wheels are coming off around the world, An article in today's National Post supported that it was about how people are moving out of their McMansions and moving down to 2,000 to 2300 sq. ft houses and how Van and SUV sales have plummeted in the last month (6 month waiting list on the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight) they aren't doing that of their own free will they are doing it because they have no cash or credit left-same reason fund net outflows went thru the roof last week for the 3rd consecutive week. Consumption should drop like a stone in the months ahead and defaults sky rocket. ;)

More Airline problems

BA chief warns airlines will collapse as fuel costs rise

By Michael Harrison, Business Editor

18 May 2004

Surging fuel prices could trigger the collapse of a number of airlines this year, the chief executive of British Airways, Rod Eddington, said yesterday.

The warning came as BA reported a 70 per cent rise in profits last year but cautioned that its performance this year would be hit by a ?150m increase in its fuel bill, taking it to more than ?1bn for the first time.

Mr Eddington said he was sure that some airlines would not survive the winter and indicated that full-service carriers were as much at risk as their low-cost rivals. His comments echo a similar warning made recently by the chief executive of Ryanair, Michael O'Leary. "There are 54 no-frills carriers in Europe and the number is growing. I have no doubt it will be a very tough winter for everyone in the industry and not just the no-frills carriers," Mr Eddington said.

The ?2.50-a-flight surcharge introduced last week by BA will raise ?75m, covering half the increase in fuel charges. BA has also hedged about half of its fuel purchases for the coming year at an oil price of $28.50 a barrel. But the recent strengthening of the dollar ? the currency in which aviation fuel is priced ? will push up BA's purchasing costs.

http://news.independent.co.uk/business/new...sp?story=522320

U.S. to Move Troops from S.Korea to Iraq This Summer

Mon May 17, 2004 06:27 PM ET

By Will Dunham

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will move 3,600 Army soldiers to Iraq this summer from South Korea for a one-year deployment, cutting American forces on the Korean Peninsula by about 10 percent to address the worsening Iraqi security situation, the Pentagon said on Monday.

The move illustrated the stress that the Iraq war is placing on the U.S. military, particularly the Army, with the Pentagon deciding between keeping troops in the potential hot spot of the Korean Peninsula, where North Korea is building its nuclear arsenal, and the current hot spot of Iraq.

U.S. officials said the United States remained committed to defending South Korea and the region from potential North Korean aggression, but acknowledged the move marked the first reduction in the U.S. troop level of roughly 37,000 in South Korea since the end of the Cold War.

A senior military official, briefing reporters on condition of anonymity, said the Pentagon was considering extending the tours of duty for troops serving in Iraq, particularly the Marines.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?t...storyID=5169978

I just heard on the radio that the markets are down today

because of the carbombing of the iraq council leader. 

I guess he was going to buy a lot of stock today until his

untimely demise.

:lol: :lol: you should email that to crapvision. :lol: :lol:

flockofsheeples,

They would have to pay for it - I don't give freebees to

any media 'cept Doc's and I pay for this. Ha! :blink:

Tanks.

Nikkei opens limit up (350 points) after Fukui pledges to engage in "market support operations".

U.S. Futures up 5 points in 15 minutes.

Just kidding.....................

Why do you do that Windy?

Archived