B4 The Bell Frieday October 1

The Fed still sees the Emerald City shining up ahead:

Fed's Bies sees solid U.S. growth

Governor says economic activity should expand, oil prices could weigh on economy.

October 1, 2004: 7:08 AM EDT

IRVING, Texas (Reuters) - Federal Reserve Governor Susan Bies delivered an upbeat assessment of the U.S. economy, saying both the household and business sectors appeared to be in good shape.

"If oil prices get too high, then consumer spending will slow down and the overall economy will slow down," she said in an answer to an audience question.

"Even with an expected rise in interest rates and some moderation in profit growth, the financial condition of the business sector should remain strong and able to support continued expansion," she said. 

http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/01/news/economy/fed_bies.reut/

I wonder how high oil prices have to get before the Fed thinks it will have some effect on the economy? :blink:

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1317386,00.html

He is the conservative bastion of the US supreme court, a favourite of President Bush, and a hunting partner of the vice-president. He has argued vociferously against abortion rights, and in favour of anti-sodomy laws.

But it turns out that there is another side to Justice Antonin Scalia: he thinks Americans ought to be having more orgies.

[...]

"I even take the position that sexual orgies eliminate social tensions and ought to be encouraged."

:lol: :o :lol:

FORTHCOMING VICE-PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE:

Moderator:

"Vice President Cheney...your hunting buddy, Supreme Court Justice Scalia has just come out of the closet in favor of orgies to reduce social tensions here in the United States. What is your position with respect to orgies?"

Vice President Cheney:

"Well, I'm glad you asked that question. I've always been a missionary position kind of guy, and unlike Senator Kerry, I'm not the type to change my position and flip flop around."

:shocked :huh: :o :D

"I even take the position that sexual orgies eliminate social tensions and ought to be encouraged."

:lol:? ? :o? ? :lol:

Looks like his sidekick Clarence Thomas got to him.

Their calling card is leaving behind a Coke can with a pubic hair on it. :lol:

I think these ultraconservative types are so repressed that sometimes they can't help but blurt out their true feelings--------------------------sorta like tourettes syndrome :D

FWIW

Some very knowledgeable people, who I trust, suggested that yesterday?s aggressive fixed income seller was a foreign central bank. They sold approx $5b in 5yrs and $9b in 10yrs. I can?t confirm whether or not it was a central bank. More importantly the seller is back this morning.

FWIW

Some very knowledgeable people, who I trust, suggested that yesterday?s aggressive fixed income seller was a foreign central bank. They sold approx $5b in 5yrs and $9b in 10yrs. I can?t confirm whether or not it was a central bank. More importantly the seller is back this morning.

Wouldn't have anything to do with that Sep. 28th China Daily article quoted above, would it?

Just a wild-ass guess ... :mellow:

I didn't watch the debate. I already know who won. Bush. People will vote for Bush because they think he went to war on the basis of faulty information. They will ignore the fact that he got exactly the information he wanted, because he's a beer swilling, pretzel eating, pickup truck driving regular guy who cares about people like us.

Doc, no offense intended, but I hope you are wrong about that. My sense of it was that Kerry clearly won the debate. He came across as more polished, more statesmanlike, and more wise. Bush was floundering and playing defense most of the night.

My hope is that Kerry will get a pop in the poles from the debate. People love to be on the winning side, so if it appears that Kerry has a good chance to win, a majority of the undecided vote will swing his way. Ideally, Kerry will ride this wave of momentum to victory.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the debate. Maybe I'm giving the people to much credit. I sincerely hope not.

Good morning, what's up?

The whole world, that's what.  All is well. There is a Santa Claus. Baseball is returning to DC.

Sweetheart deal for Peter Angelos owner of the O's. Nice to see a team back in D.C. What's the name of the team gonna be? Washington Invaders?

Does the continuous quest for money really justify everything in the US?

How can you move a major sports team from one City to another? What about the ties to the local fans and community? Seems to me that the fans just shrug and agree that wherever the money is that's the likely place the team will end up. The phrase 'business is business' seems to to placate everyone as if I stick a knife in my business partner and best friend's back it's justified if there's a dollar to be earnt - perhaps he is now deemed the fool for not stabbing me first...........

If you tried to move a major football team in the UK or continetal Europe there would be complete uproar and the excuse of 'business is business, gotta go where the ????'s are' would cause even more uproar and likely some deaths as well.

The greed is the US astounds many people including me. Having said that I do like alot of Americans :)

Good morning, what's up?

The whole world, that's what.? All is well. There is a Santa Claus. Baseball is returning to DC.

Sweetheart deal for Peter Angelos owner of the O's. Nice to see a team back in D.C. What's the name of the team gonna be? Washington Invaders?

Does the continuous quest for money really justify everything in the US?

How can you move a major sports team from one City to another? What about the ties to the local fans and community? Seems to me that the fans just shrug and agree that wherever the money is that's the likely place the team will end up. The phrase 'business is business' seems to to placate everyone as if I stick a knife in my business partner and best friend's back it's justified if there's a dollar to be earnt - perhaps he is now deemed the fool for not stabbing me first...........

If you tried to move a major football team in the UK or continetal Europe there would be complete uproar and the excuse of 'business is business, gotta go where the ????'s are' would cause even more uproar and likely some deaths as well.

The greed is the US astounds many people including me. Having said that I do like alot of Americans :)

Theme on wall street is "sell-yo-mama-fer-dolla"

Business partners for a dollar seems like an incredible deal.

All kidding aside I hope that any cleansing process in the economy over the next decade will refocus merikans away from the quick buck.

I didn't watch the debate. I already know who won. Bush. People will vote for Bush because they think he went to war on the basis of faulty information. They will ignore the fact that he got exactly the information he wanted, because he's a beer swilling, pretzel eating, pickup truck driving regular guy who cares about people like us.

This is what happens when you grow up in a society where truth is lies. Most people in this country believe that legal limits should be placed on free speech. Did you know that? They don't want the truth. They can't handle the truth. They want to live in the lie. They like it there.

As an aside, the other night, I was watching the final Expos game in Montreal on TV. Big crowd. When the lady began to sing the US national anthem, a noticeable booing began to well up from the crowd. The majority, horrified, then began to applaud, drowning out the boos. God forbid, we offend the massa, was my thought.

Doc

I did watch the debate. I must admit I drifted off a few times but for the most part I thought Kerry blew him away. Kerry's presentation, composure and statesmanship made it no contest. It was so bad CNN was so embarrassed for shrub we saw less and less of him on the split screen as the "debate" went on. There was really nothing new that was said. I was very disturbed that the whole discussion was about Iraq less the civilian and military casualties of course. We wouldn't want to talk about THAT. Is this what America has come to? Bushes whole pathetic platform has been about the war on terrorism and of course the media is eating out of his hand. I hope what you say isn't true. If America doesn't want to pursue reality we are all doomed. Somehow I think that is about to change. Once the market lets go and real estate returns to the norm you can bet your ass the masses will be very unhappy with the political atmosphere. Only then will the policies of their elected officials be put on credit watch.

I see the yield and futures continue their race to the top. Stunning disconnects everywhere I look including the HGX. The metals are firm which is a 10 sigma on the horizon. The number 1 enemy of power continues to fire warning shots across the bow. Sinclair summed it up beautifully last night. They cannot continue to push around the metals with the 1.5 trillion daily traded clown buck in a spiral dive. Its all about the dollar and will continue to be. The metals/dollar relationship is set in stone. I say bring it on. As important an issue as Iraq is, its the 3 deficits that should be central to the minds of Americans. I think the bond is screaming for attention indicating cracks forming in the debt bubble.

Archived