B4 the Bell Fryday Sept 3, 2004

Guest yobob1

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now it is time to move on.

Amen.

Glad to know you found a place to hide out. ;)

Now is it just me, but didn't I hear GWB say last night that he wanted to make prescription drugs more affordable for all of the elderly?

WASHINGTON, Sept. 3 - A day after President Bush heralded his efforts to help the elderly cope with increased medical expenses, federal officials announced the largest premium increase in dollars in the Medicare program's history, raising the monthly expense by $11.60 to $78.20.

The increase, which amounts to 17 percent, results largely from increased payments to doctors and reflects rising medical expenses generally, officials said. The rise has nothing to do with a program that will start in 2006 to offer prescription drugs, for which beneficiaries must pay a separate premium.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/04/politics/04health.html?hp

Wow - too heavy folks. :cry: There is so much pain & hatred surrounding the Middle East. I am very sad. Very sad for my Arab and Iraqi friends, very sad for my Jewish friends.

Doc - I don't speak of 16 Israelis killed in an exploding bus because I am numbed and horrified and am so weary of hearing of these events. Just a coping mechanism - not to be equated with not caring. How else to function??

MOVE ON

Santana

Move on, there?s no time to waste complaining

Move on, can?t you feel your heart expanding

Every time I turn around

Ignorance one step behind

So come on and try again

You can make it if you try

Move on, there?s no time for hesitation

Move on, all you need is motivation

Every time I turn around

Ignorance one step behind

So come on and try again

You can make it if you try

Keep on moving on

Keep on moving

Got to keep on trying

Every step of the way

Got to keep on trying

Every step of the way

Airlines in short sellers' scopes

By Matt Andrejczak, CBS.MarketWatch.com

Last Update: 6:00 PM ET Sept. 3, 2004 

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) - As U.S. airlines struggle to stay aloft, some investors are circling like hawks anticipating three of the largest U.S. carriers will be in bankruptcy by year-end and spark an industry-wide shake-out.

Short holdings in airline stocks - betting that prices will fall rather than rise - are five times greater than after Sept. 11, 2001, when the industry was under siege. As of Aug. 15, investors were shorting 187.8 million shares of nine carriers listed in the AMEX Airline Index and discounter AirTran - a 56 percent rise since January, according to Schaeffer Investment Research data.

"The short interest has been going through the roof," said Chris Johnson, Schaeffer's director of quantitative analysis. "It's off the charts."

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?...%7D&siteid=mktw

More Negative Surprises Seen For Semis

09.03.04, 11:20 AM ET

Prudential Equity Group downgraded the semiconductor sector after weak reports from Intel (nasdaq: INTC - news - people ) and Integrated Device Technology (nasdaq: IDTI - news - people ) and said to expect more negative earnings surprises from the chip industry. "Both Intel and Integrated Device Technology blamed unit weakness, and not average selling price (ASP) erosion, for the sluggish growth," it said. "While some may view stable ASPs as a positive sign, we see this as a signal for further downside revenue risk as excess supply may lead to competitive pricing pressure. We view the Intel, Altera, and IDT downward revisions as cautionary to the overall industry, and we expect a series of lowered company estimates and negative earnings surprises to follow suit."

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2004/09/03/0...yahoo&referrer=

Blame the Victims? The Arabs were the biggest losers of 9-11 and the Likud/Neocons were the biggest winners or you are trying to tell us that the Likud/Neocons were the victims and the Arabs were the winners?

Actually the real winners of 9-11 have been New Jersey and Westchester. These areas profited the most from it in terms of an exodus of jobs from lower Manhattan. A suburban conspiracy???? :lol:

MH  Clinton is the Dem's biggest fundraiser.  He could have made a difference over the next two months.

The web bot project as reported at Urban Survival had been predicting illness forcing someone out of the campaign. I would have expected Cheney--though AQ would have found a way to disrupt his pacemaker with a cell phone by now. Turns out it's Clinton from natural causes, if you can call his diet natural.

I might start to take some photos of all the shops closing down and all the lease signs springing up and post them in LOB.

Bris, please do! I already started a thread there on this. I just haven't gotten around to taking more pictures. I need to just leave my digicam in the car. Hopefully I can add more in the next few weeks.

Saw a short docu on Dutch tv about the man behind the prez--Karl Rove.

Among his many skills(very intelligent guy) his real trademark is taking an opponent's "apparent" strength and using it against him--so that it becomes a weakness.Like anti-Kerry Swift boat ads--journlist reckoned that this has all the hallmarks of Rove.

Apart from the "I knew that I was going to make GWB prez before he knew he wanted to be" he claims to have turned Texas from a Dem bastion into a one-party state(Rep).

His avowed aim is now to turn the entirety of the US into a one-party country(a la Texas).Be very afraid!

A closer examination of a photograph included in President George W. Bush?s Air Force records, released by the White House earlier this year, shows then-Second Lieutenant Bush wearing an Air Force Outstanding Unit Award which he never earned. The photograph is also displayed on George H. W. Bush?s Presidential library website.

bush250.jpg

Lies, lies and more lies

Archived