B4 the Bell, Thursday......again?

Guest yobob1

You know I note Robbie the Bruce is on the thread now Robbie is a Scot Ex pat in Vancouver -Robbie lets hear your take your take on Canada-eh!

for sure dude!

I didn't know how bad Scotland was until I left and had something to compare to. The class system of the UK is a nightmare. I am totally sold on Canada for a long list of reasons, but it can be summed up in that you have a better chance at a good life here.

I don't want a free ride, just the chance to make something of myself. In Canada more doors are open to you. I walked into a bank with my first pay cheque and walked out with a Visa card, and the ability to withdraw funds without waiting seven business days for the cheque to clear.

Employers are willing to take a chance on you and let you prove yourself, I was working as a doorman of a nightclub just after University in Scotland, dodging punches whilst trying to land job interviews.

You seem to be brainwashed into knowing your place in the UK. You will never attempt to be something because you born in a certain area or are a certain religion. In Canada, and the US for that matter, you can be whatever you want if you work hard enough. The difference is that the US is starting to fear and seems to be backing into a corner. This kind of thinking is rampant in Scotland where racism and bigotry are everywhere.

I was pressured to join the masons as all my relatives were members. I was basically told join and start your new job on the following monday. I told them to stick it, and two months later was in Canada.

Now don't get me wrong, Scotland is a beautiful place and the people are wondeful, but it's not fair and I hate that.

Canada sums up everything I've come to believe in. Any nationality is welcome, racism and bigotry are not tolerated and you get a good crack at a decent living. Most important though, is that it's fair.

If the current world problems were viewed as a flood, Canada would be the high ground, the himalaya.

Out of five close friends from my Uni class, three are working basic jobs for just above minimum wage, trying to do a post-grad at night whilst getting into more debt, one joined the police and the other the army. I have not heard from the army friend in five months.

I count myself lucky to be in Canada, and whilst still a landed immigrant, when I become a citizen I shall be proud to call myself Canadian.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck in your search for a new home.  You might like The Netherlands, my country of birth, since it is quite accommodating to foreigners.  The beer and the cheese are excellent.  On the other hand, the weather and the congestion are two things I am glad I have left behind .

Madame WH, I have to say I think Europe would be one of the worst places to be in if things become dark and gloomy. Look at the history. Much better to be out of the mainstream areas. An island in the South Pacific sounds nice :)

SO, how does one attempt to leave the homeland with large stores of precious metals?? Presumably arriving at JFK bound for NZ with 100 oz of gold in my suitcase would not be viewed upon to lightly, no??

Edit: The above question does not imply that I currently have gold, nor wish to ship gold out of the mainland. I understand that such holdings would be viewed as unpatriotic ;)

SO, how does one attempt to leave the homeland with large stores of precious metals?? Presumably arriving at JFK bound for NZ with 100 oz of gold in my suitcase would not be viewed upon to lightly, no??

Edit: The above question does not imply that I currently have gold, nor wish to ship gold out of the mainland. I understand that such holdings would be viewed as unpatriotic ;)

Would think you could send a cheque to a gold dealer in NZ and have it waiting in storage for when you arrive?

Robbie- Goood on ya Lad and well said! 3M said a few months back that abroad you put a package of Canadian Cigs on the table and you are treated well in any restruant in the world. Well I have traveled the world and can say 3M is right which means there is not more to say-Robbie enjoy your evening! G'nite all!

SO, how does one attempt to leave the homeland with large stores of precious metals??  Presumably arriving at JFK bound for NZ with 100 oz of gold in my suitcase would not be viewed upon to lightly, no??

Edit: The above question does not imply that I currently have gold, nor wish to ship gold out of the mainland.  I understand that such holdings would be viewed as unpatriotic ;)

Would think you could send a cheque to a gold dealer in NZ and have it waiting in storage for when you arrive?

New Zealand has an Investor residence category that recognises the potential contribution international investors make to building a strong and vibrant New Zealand.

We welcome people who want to invest in New Zealand as it brings opportunities to New Zealanders to build their skills. Investment also encourages enterprise and innovation and builds our connection to the world............

If your funds are gold, your evidence can include original ownership certificates and an independent market valuation.....

Moving to New Zealand info link

SO, how does one attempt to leave the homeland with large stores of precious metals??  Presumably arriving at JFK bound for NZ with 100 oz of gold in my suitcase would not be viewed upon to lightly, no??

Edit: The above question does not imply that I currently have gold, nor wish to ship gold out of the mainland.  I understand that such holdings would be viewed as unpatriotic ;)

Right, but what if a large percentage of a supposed investment in gold contains nusimatic qualities??

Entering NYC is more difficult than entering the US from Canada. Three times I have been stopped at the midtown tunnel and informed that my registration expires in less than a month. Is that a crime now?

A friend in North Jersey repeatedly encountered a 'checkpoint' on the road between his house and the nearby business district.

Becoming exasperated by the hassle and delay, he observed to the officer, "I live on this street. This is the fourth time I've been stopped today. Can't you give me a break?"

The cop snarled, "Pull over there. You're getting a summons."

In fact, he got two summonses. One for having a P.O. box address instead of a street address on his license. (Yes, the state issued the license with that address ... but it's HIS offense.) The second for having "unclear license plates" (again, issued by the state).

He talked to the patrolman's supervisor, pointing out that the summonses were issued for punitive reasons, because he had protested the inconvenience. The super was unyielding: tell it to the judge. Not our problem.

This is not an isolated incident. The unpleasant fact is that the 9/11 disaster empowered law enforcement with a "sit down and shut up" attitude. So much as opening one's mouth really is a criminal offense now. In courts that have 95% conviction rates, to be charged is tantamount to being convicted.

I don't like it. And longer term, I ain't puttin' up with it, neither.

Myself, that would be intolerable, period. If that shit ever happens here, I'll be sellling, liquidating and moving. Inconvenience? Whatever. I'm a Jew. The reason I'm alive today, why I got to be born in the first place, was because before me, generations before generations, someone knew when it was time to get the hell out of dodge. When one's home become's a police state, that's when it's time to go.

Gfokker

If you want toread about the heartbreaking experiences similar to what your anticipating, get ahold of the Intellectual Biography of Hannah Arendt by Elzabeth

(I forget the spelling of the last name but its hyphenatd and ends-Bruehel????}

Its very long ,but no matter, just simply dip nto the early middle portion and read--

While you read her experiences about trying to persuade her coreligionists about the future Germany compare it to bears trying to persuade bulls--I dont mean to trivalize the German experience but the poignancy wll be doubled as you read---

Its almost an encyclopedia of anguish--

I dont agree with everything she said and n some cases she wss completely wrong---I think near the end she became a little pranoid but .......the courage the craziness of the wold she generated by her contrarianism--

For the record--I met her once in Chhicago durin the controversial period after writing "Eichman Jeruselam" and after a 30 minute conference I so impressed her that she dismissed me as insane---But Istill love her memory--

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: :cry:

Doc- You have posed a good question- Canada which for a long time has been referred to as the flea on the Elephants ass couldn't put up a long fight but it would put up a good fight. This Nation of which i am a Member for too many years had an inferiority complex it doesn't anymore and it never had a sense of patriotism until the last 10 years-the flea is awakening and I think you can sense that! ;)

New York City's police force outnumbers all of our military personnel, Brian. And, as we've seen this year, the US forces are far more demented and gratuitously violent than our forces. We'd be screwed.

Entering NYC is more difficult than entering the US from Canada. Three times I have been stopped at the midtown tunnel and informed that my registration expires in less than a month. Is that a crime now?

A friend in North Jersey repeatedly encountered a 'checkpoint' on the road between his house and the nearby business district.

Becoming exasperated by the hassle and delay, he observed to the officer, "I live on this street. This is the fourth time I've been stopped today. Can't you give me a break?"

The cop snarled, "Pull over there. You're getting a summons."

In fact, he got two summonses. One for having a P.O. box address instead of a street address on his license. (Yes, the state issued the license with that address ... but it's HIS offense.) The second for having "unclear license plates" (again, issued by the state).

He talked to the patrolman's supervisor, pointing out that the summonses were issued for punitive reasons, because he had protested the inconvenience. The super was unyielding: tell it to the judge. Not our problem.

This is not an isolated incident. The unpleasant fact is that the 9/11 disaster empowered law enforcement with a "sit down and shut up" attitude. So much as opening one's mouth really is a criminal offense now. In courts that have 95% conviction rates, to be charged is tantamount to being convicted.

I don't like it. And longer term, I ain't puttin' up with it, neither.

Myself, that would be intolerable, period. If that shit ever happens here, I'll be sellling, liquidating and moving. Inconvenience? Whatever. I'm a Jew. The reason I'm alive today, why I got to be born in the first place, was because before me, generations before generations, someone knew when it was time to get the hell out of dodge. When one's home become's a police state, that's when it's time to go.

Gfokker

If you want toread about the heartbreaking experiences similar to what your anticipating, get ahold of the Intellectual Biography of Hannah Arendt by Elzabeth

(I forget the spelling of the last name but its hyphenatd and ends-Bruehel????}

Its very long ,but no matter, just simply dip nto the early middle portion and read--

While you read her experiences about trying to persuade her coreligionists about the future Germany compare it to bears trying to persuade bulls--I dont mean to trivalize the German experience but the poignancy wll be doubled as you read---

Its almost an encyclopedia of anguish--

I dont agree with everything she said and n some cases she wss completely wrong---I think near the end she became a little pranoid but .......the courage the craziness of the wold she generated by her contrarianism--

For the record--I met her once in Chhicago durin the controversial period after writing "Eichman Jeruselam" and after a 30 minute conference I so impressed her that she dismissed me as insane---But Istill love her memory--

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: :cry:

Thanks, BD. I'll get a copy and check it out.

Archived