B4 The Bell, Tuezelday, June 8

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dominion homes (dhom) slashes guidance. Cancellations will push down unit sales by 15% and net sales by 35% compared to year ago. Company builds 100k-350k houses in Central Ohio and Kentucky.

This is what we have been looking for. An outlier market, in the case the midwest but often Dallas or Houston, completely falls apart. This indicates that buyers are exhausted and simply are unable or unwilling to stretch farther. Usually the coastal markets will follow the outliers within three months.

On a side note last weekan article was circulating about the housing market in So CAl. A couple with no debt, over 150k in savings, both with graduate degrees and both holding good jobs could not afford the payments on a conv 30yr mortgage for an average starter home. Think about that for a moment.

The whole foundation of the American dream, home ownership, has been eroded away to produce a few quarters of economic growth. How much does housing need to fall before real buyers are able to re-enter the market?

Dominion homes (dhom) slashes guidance. Cancellations will push down unit sales by 15% and net sales by 35% compared to year ago. Company builds 100k-350k houses in Central Ohio and Kentucky.

This is what we have been looking for. An outlier market, in the case the midwest but often Dallas or Houston, completely falls apart. This indicates that buyers are exhausted and simply are unable or unwilling to stretch farther. Usually the coastal markets will follow the outliers within three months.

On a side note last weekan article was circulating about the housing market in So CAl. A couple with no debt, over 150k in savings, both with graduate degrees and both holding good jobs could not afford the payments on a conv 30yr mortgage for an average starter home. Think about that for a moment.

The whole foundation of the American dream, home ownership, has been eroded away to produce a few quarters of economic growth. How much does housing need to fall before real buyers are able to re-enter the market?

The problem with that couple who can't afford the starter home is that they have too much income and no debt. They need to cut their incomes and get themselves into debt in order to qualify for one of the many government assistence programs now available to put them into their "American Dream" home. :blink:

HB- It is also often overlooked that Reagan and Paul Volcker pushed interest rates to all time highs to slay the inflation monster and they stayed the course and won.

B4....

I think you will find the present Fed Chairmen was Chairman of the Council

of Economic Advisors at the time....a real pain for Volcker.

Rog: I live in Central Illinois ( pop around 130,000) our housing mkt is down roughly 20%. High end, not sure about the lower mkt. I do not put a lot of credence in the fact as we are a small area, but I wonder if we are more the norm than the excpetion?

Today's Trick:

Ameritrade web site slowdown.

Take Cover!

Who is left to buy? :huh:

These stunts are not about buying...

On days with big downward pressure at the open, they put the site in slowdown mode to prevent people from heading for the exits.

It's working fine again now.

Never ever ever ever ever ever happens on up days.

Watch the Ten Year Yield...They need to stuff it here to keep the homebuilders cranking.

Watch DHOM for a massive squeeze if they pull it off.

Here in the midwest there was a buying frenzy in houses when interest rates started going up. Now however I see lots and lots of houses for sale with no takers. Usually in my area, a first-ring hence affordable suburb, houses sell pretty fast. $135-160K for a small two bedroom.

I hear the market is very soft in Milwaukee for houses in the 400-500 range, which is not the highest bracket.

Archived