B4 The Bell Thursday November 4

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've taken IQ tests - several. They are very dependent on education. Mostly vocabulary and problem solving but based on principles one learns in a good all around educational system. I am not surprised that states with the poorest rated schools would score lowest on IQ tests.

tanks Butter.

Yes, they don't seem to actually measure -intelligence- that well.

They're measuring education as well. And probably a whole host of other factors like diet, awakeness, etc..

I remember reading a study a few years back on how "special programs" funding for school districts (can't remember which city) became skewed because it turned out that the standard IQ tests produced a result heavily biased against inner-city kids. Something about the makeup, or phrasing, of the questions themselves.

I see Oregon is way down the list.... :P But hey, the state voted for Kerry! :lol:

If we are all here to make $, How come nobody called this a wave three to the upside? Jim Curry is and I agree But, I also believe that it stops before 1175.

Arrrgh, do you mean we have to endure a wave 5 too?

I can't get Ike's playback to work right, that's why I don't subscribe. And I read lots faster than I listen, so I get impatient.

The market sure appears to be increasing due to emotional optomism after a relatively painless election and ok news on the economic front. I find it interesting that the bond interest rates have not jumped up higher. Many bulls are calling for a great economy and significantly higher market next year.

Anything can happen going forward. The ecoomy has shown a lot more resiliance than I thougt. But with the dollar falling a bit and the trouble in the Middle-east and all over the world just beginning to get going I think the world is much more unstable than at any time in the past 65 years. The great thing for everyone here, except for me, is that the market ought to be volitile.....

Good Luck everyone....

THe whole concept of IQ is flawed. There are many different kinds of abilities, and to think that you can put a number on someone after measuring certain skills, and say that the number in some way meaningfully quantifies "intelligence" (a.k.a. high levels of whatever you've decided to measure) --

well, that's stupid! :lol:

jstrack, regarding bonds, this just posted in M2M by seamus...maybe of interest...

----------

I am one who quit trading back in 03 - too tough fighting it. I am not a bear, just realistic

Let me tell ya tho - corp spreads have been rocketing in the past week...

A bond like Goldman 14s going from 100 to 92 bid in one week (bps over UST) means only one thing to me - hedge funds and a lot of capitulation,

We shall see

----------

TE, tanks for the max-pain and Ike info.

T-bare-

That?s Tin Lining #2 of this election- the surrealists, satireists & writers will have plenty of good material (#1, Bush is the fan blades for the sh-t, along with the rest of us). Tripp's smokin?, got the impression he?s a bit upset?

Also at Counterpunch, Karmic Blowback and the Democrats By spArk, has some thoughts on a topic I?ve been chewing on lately:

? Can Bush be forced to be better? ?. That Bush might be the most dangerous person to inhabit the Oval Office is not meaningless, but it's not the end of the world, either. The most effective ways of changing the world have always been bottom-up without rising too high. The co-op where we played the indymedia election coverage was started in 1970. Other co-ops started all over the country around then and in the early 70's. A revolution to eat well and grow sustainably rose up, and is now mature and successful enough to be the target of corporate co-optation. No president in that time significantly helped or hurt the co-op movement. Nor has any president in that time slowed down corporate media consolidation or addressed homelessness. More and more, I feel we should simply operate as if the federal government is irrelevant and see if we can make it true. Build our own regional networks for food, media, energy, etc., and take care of ourselves. Run down the system by unplugging as many people as possible from it. It can't run without our juice.

The more people see how much freer it feels outside, the better.

ie, just walk away, take the path less traveled, follow your bliss, whatever meme makes the most sense in your own scheme, & do it now? Wasted a year & half of my life trying to engage with the political scam, fool me once?. Fascinating to hear the crapmedia all glide along behind the memo 'All in all, election went smoothly, no prob, lets all Move On, nothing to see here'- gotta admire the seamless closing of ranks- Edwards started to look a little rough, got back with the program tout suite...

Brian (or as some here spllel it, Brain :) ) -

? The Prime Minister ruled OUT any future Canadian contribution to U.S. led Operations in Iraq, and Bill Graham the Defence minister will NOT take up a U.S. request that it send CF-18 Fighter-Bombers to fly cover in Afghanistan." Shrub think lumber, steel, hogs and cattle all phoney and all contrary to NAFTA. Soon you may hear the words-Oil, Gas and Power.

Troops massing at the border as we post? Oh? what?s that? You say they?re Bush Youth Corps?. Young Republicans? Bayonets fixed on paintball guns? Wearing Ghost Dance shirts? nevermind?

"What the president is doing in fiscal policy is weakening the country, making us more vulnerable. It's so strange," said Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota, top Democrat on the Senate Budget Committee. "There's no free lunch, and at the end of the day our country will have a tremendous price to pay for this profligacy."

http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat...5302_lead_story

Yep, those midwesterners sure are dumb, there in fly-over country.

Canadian freedoms 'under threat'

By Lee Carter

In Toronto

Canada's privacy commissioner has warned in her annual report that personal freedoms in the country are being eroded by the "war on terror".

Jennifer Stoddart told parliament that as agencies collected more information on people, there were higher risks that travellers would be treated unfairly.

The kinds of security measures taken by the US came in for particular scrutiny.

Better solutions might lie in using existing information more effectively, she added.

Mistakes

Ms Stoddart said recent US pressure on the Canadian government to share information with US authorities about all people travelling to Canada meant there was more of a possibility that people would be wrongly singled out and treated unfairly.

She warned that mistakes had already been made,....................

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3984311.stm

:shocked

Air speeds dropping....good night all.

THe whole concept of IQ is flawed. There are many different kinds of abilities, and to think that you can put a number on someone after measuring certain skills, and say that the number in some way meaningfully quantifies "intelligence" (a.k.a. high levels of whatever you've decided to measure) --

well, that's stupid! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

you're so -caustic- drano ! :lol:

yah, IQ is sorta generally maybe useful as a loose kind of concept...but it reeks of being one of those anal bureaucrat love-affairs with fitting people into little boxes. One of our friends here can't really read (actually a result of undiagnosed dyslexia I'm thinking) but he's well-known as the best diesel mechanic in the entire county...while a woman who Robin teaches dance to has a masters in finance...and is currently in bankruptcy :lol: Robin sez she's a real airhead.

"What the president is doing in fiscal policy is weakening the country, making us more vulnerable. It's so strange," said Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota, top Democrat on the Senate Budget Committee. "There's no free lunch, and at the end of the day our country will have a tremendous price to pay for this profligacy."

http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat...5302_lead_story

Yep, those midwesterners sure are dumb, there in fly-over country.

yup, bunch o' hicks is all.

-I'd- never go to the Mayo Clinic out there in farm-country, for brain-surgery of all things!

altho....it has been suggested that perhaps I should... :lol: :lol:

hmmm....I'd feel better about ol' Kent if he'd noted that -he- didn't vote for any of the many fat-dripping spending bills that were presented to -every- prez in the past 40 years... :P

As a former suscriber of EWI i gotta tell you they are going downhill with the brakes off..the futures free week is as useful as tits on a Bull!

Yup. I was snookered too for awhile.

For E-wavaholics only now.

Hochberg couldn't count his way out of a paper bag.

When they missed the 2002 bottom and I saw the completed 5 waves and sold, I should have cancelled my sub. I hung on through the March 2003 rally, what a mistake.

Stooltowners, don't waste your money, Doc's cycle work kicks their butts.

SEH

Archived