B4 The Bell Moonday September 13

Hiding Bear

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gold now up $1.20

Just back from an epic body surfing session.

Most of our beach is now off shore just a bit, creating a nice long knee-deep sand bar. The waves are pounding today, and the rides are awesome. Most of the time your grabbing a handfull of bottom to avoid being sucked up a six foot face and dumped over the falls, but when just the right one comes along, it's a slingshot to the beach. Great workout...and despite the mirky water, backbreaking surf, predatory fish and undertows, it's a hell of a lot safer than daytrading.

Did Saudi Arabia discover more oil while I was gone?

Hiding bear:  After reading docs weekend fed report and  Marc Faber who concurs  http://www.ameinfo.com/news/Detailed/45122.html;    why do you think money suplly is so stagnant in the face of such an aggressive fed?

Faltering credit growth.

The current credit bubble is largely a housing/mortgage driven bubble. Mortgage growth has been minimal lately - even with lower long term rates these past few weeks. The $400 billion annual rate of Treasury purchases by foreign central banks over the last 6 weeks lowered rates but can't by itself produce the credit demand. New credit leads to new bank deposits - your basic money supply.

The Fed besides controlling one interest rate, the Fed Funds rate, also controls the monetary base in attempts to change the level of the money supply and liquidity (the availability of money) in the economy. Usually a higher monetary base will induce the money supply to increase, but that is a somewhat indirect and imperfect mechanism. The Fed's actions can be defeated by a lack of credit demand, a falling dollar, and inefficiencies in the economic system (think about the impact of hurricanes, for example.)

While not likely at this time, the Fed could attempt to create an even bigger bubble by issung new fiat, for example, by funding the federal budget deficit directly.

Pessimits are right that the Fed will soon be in a dire situation. Believers in hyperinflation (like myself), as HT would say, still think the Fed can produce at least one more trick to inflate the money supply. If the Fed is only a one trick pony (mortgage bubble), then the market will have a very long way to fall as its liquidity is used to fund the economy - instead of from new credit.

Ivan looks to be headed for the mouth of the Mississippi...which puts it right in the midst of a bunch of oil and natural gas tanks, pipelines and infrastructure.  I flew over the area last week and was amazed viewing it all from above.  Keep an eye on the price of oil and gas this week.

So far this year all the big storms, hurricanes, happened on the weekend.

And by Monday all was fine with the world, as the market went up. I am sure that the re-elect the bushman team had a lot to do with it. They are not going to let this baby drop if at all POSSIBLE.

Ivan is coming into town on Thursday. We will need to see what the market thinks of Ivan.

On thing I have learned this year. Until the storm is here, you have no idea when or where it will land.

This intraday trend line they keep blasting off of is just laughable. It's obvious they programmed the bots to buy along this trend line all the way up. there is nothing about today's action that is anything other than manipulation...clearly, markets do not do this on their own. If they were smart they would just hit the pause button for the day right here and then jump the creek at the open tomorrow.

http://139.142.147.26/GifChartEngine.dll?i...refreshrate=180

Along the line of Soup's comment Schaeffer in his Monday morning outlook says that everyone is indeed in the pool, optimism is running rampant at a time when the technicals absolutely stink, he points out that on Friday the VXO hit a low not seen since 1996 and the preponderance of calls in the Cubes combined with the shape the Semi's are in is a disaster in the making. ;)

Archived