IDS World Markets Fri 10th October 08

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dr Correll - wall of text aside, congrats on being focused so early.  You're miles ahead of where many of us were at 20.  Best of luck.

698477[/snapback]

I disagree. I think that his priorities are sadly misplaced.

If it's only about money, then you miss out on life. At that age, at any age, the first priorities should be on building relationships and filling your head with knowledge to the greatest extent possible. The wealth will flow from that. The greatest riches come not from dollar signs. They come from the love of family and friends. One is only truly wealthy when they have love and joy. I know people with very little whose lives are filled with joy. I also know those with lots of money whose lives are empty and bitter. Obviously it's better to have both financial comfort and joyfulness, but the path to getting there starts best by seeking love and wisdom, not money.

If it's only about money, then you miss out on life. At that age, at any age, the first priorities should be on building relationships and filling your head with knowledge to the greatest extent possible. The wealth will flow from that. The greatest riches come not from dollar signs. They come from the love of family and friends. One is only truly wealthy when they have love and joy. I know people with very little whose lives are filled with joy. I also know those with lots of money whose lives are empty and bitter. Obviously it's better to have both financial comfort and joyfulness, but the path to getting there starts best by seeking love and wisdom, not money.

698529[/snapback]

Doc,

I don't think he's ignoring everything else. If he's not keeping up with news and trading he could easily be in front of the TV playing XBox.

698529[/snapback]

Ummmm let me clarify Doc, as I agree with you completely.

I remember having lots of love & joy in my life at 20, and still do.

I couldn't, however, have given even a rudimentary explanation at that point as to how the economy or financial markets worked, and had no real longer-term gut sense of the value of saving, beyond being able to afford something cool for my dorm room.

I don't think it's either/or. If it were, obviously, love & family would come first.

Archived