Bears Blew It?

A quote from Lance this evening:

"A hint of things to come may have come today when it appeared that someone was putting on what is known as a ?bullet? trade in the QQQs. A massive amount of puts were bought along with common stock today (which heavily skewed the put/call number if you look at the closing data). The strategy here is to dump the common at some point, causing the market to move lower while you hold the puts and the guys that sold you the puts are also forced to sell in order to delta hedge their positions, hitting the market with double the downside firing power. So, we?ll see what happens, but my guess is that somebody is setting up an ambush on this ?support? level in the NASDAQ."

Translation:

Short sellers are getting sick and tired of getting jerked around so late in the bear market. What is required is that somebody with guts needs to swamp the QQQ pit with a massive bet, and attempt to corner the market against the Riverboaters and clean them out for good.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 things:

Just reading the Anals, and read the Golden Stool. Doc cmapped today's move in HUI to perfection. Had I not forgotten to read it this morning, I would have spared myself a good dose of grief when Hewey dipped to its lows of the day today. Kudoz, Doc.

For those afflicted with that new MSN Messenger adware bullshit where MSN invaded your desktop with unstoppable popups that elude all of the popup blockers around, I've found a fix. You close down Outlook, outlook express and Messenger, and then rename the "Messenger" folder. On restarting the apps, it fails to find Messenger, and presto. Problem solved. To run Messenger, just goto the renamed folder or use a shortcut.

how'd you like that bullish option bet by that overseas hedge fund in the QQQs?

Nothing like betting against a well established and confirmed downtrend in a raging bear market with very few to no indicators saying a reversal is imminent.

As long as people keep talking and betting against the trend, the general downtrend will continue. Ditto for HUI.

If a pop comes along it will come out of the blue with little to no warning but last at most a day or two and then the trend will kick back in again. Nothing worth getting all aggravated over if your short duds and already heavily in the black. Just ride it out. That's precisely why I play duds, not glams.

Stoolie Shortfolio up 1.4% today to 22.6% gain since 1/23/03. Go ahead and pop, make my day.

how'd you like that bullish option bet by that overseas hedge fund in the QQQs?

Nothing like betting against a well established and confirmed downtrend in a raging bear market with very few to no indicators saying a reversal is imminent.

As long as people keep talking and betting against the trend, the general downtrend will continue. Ditto for HUI.

If a pop comes along it will come out of the blue with little to no warning but last at most a day or two and then the trend will kick back in again. Nothing worth getting all aggravated over if your short duds and already heavily in the black. Just ride it out. That's precisely why I play duds, not glams.

where is this info from?....thanks

Guest Icky Twerp

I'm anxious, as are we all, but

apparently there is some dark side of my personality that masochistically enjoys things being stretched out, teased, so to speak, by one of Mark's supermodels the day she first arrives in Hollywood...

Is it just me, or are the Andes the sexiest mountains in the world?

post-7-1044583676_thumb.jpg

From Yahoo News --

"An employee ® of Brazil's Bovespa, Latin America's mightiest stock market, writes down the names of beachgoers Joarez Rodriguez Meirelles (L) and Maria Cleusa Lopes (2L) to send them information about investing in the bourse, on the beach at Santos some 100 kilometers (62 miles) from Sao Paulo, in this photo taken January 31, 2003. Sao Paulo's stock exchange has sent representatives to scour the states' most popular beaches as part of their strategy to spread the gospel of share ownership across Brazil by teaching the ins and outs to everyone, from gruff factory workers to thrifty housewives. REUTERS/Rickey Rogers"

1044552818.2215059559.jpg

A quote from Lance this evening:

"A hint of things to come may have come today when it appeared that someone was putting on what is known as a ?bullet? trade in the QQQs. A massive amount of puts were bought along with common stock today (which heavily skewed the put/call number if you look at the closing data). The strategy here is to dump the common at some point, causing the market to move lower while you hold the puts and the guys that sold you the puts are also forced to sell in order to delta hedge their positions, hitting the market with double the downside firing power. So, we?ll see what happens, but my guess is that somebody is setting up an ambush on this ?support? level in the NASDAQ."

Translation:

Short sellers are getting sick and tired of getting jerked around so late in the bear market. What is required is that somebody with guts needs to swamp the QQQ pit with a massive bet, and attempt to corner the market against the Riverboaters and clean them out for good.

Wndy...

Amongst the many wonderful things you bring to us, would it be asking too much to provide us with a better picture of your Avatar...you know, the kind that shows the triple rated "bonds"...thanks in advance.

Mr H. (gad,  I love that name and avatar, did I tell you I have a Mr Hankey keychain?)

http://www.prudentbear.com/bearschat/bbs_r...1&snsa=A#M86996

thanks pile!

what I want to know is...who's takin the other side of that trade...if anyone?

not sure, but worst case if you just factor it out of today's p/c ratio we're only looking at a .69 reading. Not high enough to break the "real trend".

http://www.internetstockreport.com/close/a...1580831,00.html

Not saying we can't have a pop at anytime, brief pops are inevitable, but predicting them and avoiding them is practically impossible so you need to learn to live with them and that's why I trade em the way I do: non-glam turds only - short em right after a rally occurs in an IT down trend. This past mid Jan was ideal entry.

Its difficult enough getting in, that's why I don't rush getting out. :wink2:

Now you notice I haven't mentioned NazQuack that's because it is DEAD it will simply do and follow what the Dow and SPOO'S do. To each his own but i simply don't understand why anyone would game NazQuack-net movement on the Q's in the last two sessions +0.02-in the COMP -4.42-NDX -1.18 nuff said-Trade Safe!

I agree. The SPX has always been the "real" market. I also believe that the SPX strength relative to the NazCrack has topped, and consequently it will see larger percentage downmoves in the months (years?) to come.

Archived