B4 The Bell, Moonday,October 11

:D Welcome to another week of trading, humor, insights, served with some political barbs and what-not at B4 the Bell! :D B4 has as its central theme short-term trading, lead by the astute technician Brain4. But it is also about any technical and economic issues that members think affects that - in a cordial atmosphere of a 24/7 international family lounge.

B4 said yesterday, with similiar comments from Kwave -

"the Great Pivot is at hand!"

Be prepared! ;)

How we fell into the spending deficit pit (hint: it had something to do with supporting the stock market :o :angry: ):

The Tax-Cut Pendulum and the Pit

In 2002, with midterm elections approaching and the nation edging toward war in Iraq, President Bush's economic team divided into opposing camps, with one side worried about rising budget deficits and the other pressing for tax cuts to stimulate a stagnant economy.

One group, led by Treasury Secretary Paul H. O'Neill and White House budget director Mitchell E. Daniels Jr., watched anxiously as the government's 2002 balance sheet swung from a record $313 billion surplus projected when Bush took office to a $157 billion deficit projected that August. How could the president demand fiscal discipline from Congress, they argued, then push expensive reforms of Social Security and the tax code if he continued cutting taxes?

Deficits would have little if any effect on the economy, they assured Bush, but if the president wanted to halt the stock market's slide and prop up incomes, he had to cut taxes more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...4-2004Oct7.html

globex.png

nasdaq.png

Rules: Doc says - "... discussion of politics and world affairs on this thread is permitted, but 911 conspiracy discussions are off limits."

Good trading! ;)

Unleaded Gas:

post-20-1097492961.jpg

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plunger-

I did a search of the words "anarchists republican convention" in Google News, and did not come up with a single article from the mainstream NY press on the first two pages, ironically until this morning, when there was an editorial in Rupert Murdoch's New York Post, which did indeed do that. Not suprisingly it came down on the side of the NYPD and Mayor Bloomberg. The second was an article from today's Newsday which took exactly the opposite posititon. It comes as no suprise to me that the right wing media king came down on the side of the issue he came down on, on the editorial page of the NY POST. It also comes as no surprise that another big NY daily came down on exactly the opposite side in its opionion piece. There is conservative media, and yes, there is liberal media. Besides, nobody reads the Editorial pages in the NY Post. They look at the gory headlines on page 1, and read the sports. I would bet not one reader in 20 looks at the editorials.

In fact most of the articles on Google News were from alternative media, complaining about the government. Google News catalogues both print media and the web news of the broadcast media, so it gives virtually universal coverage.

I also still do not know who you mean by "who controls the media controls the govvernment." You said there is a conspiracy at the very top, but I really don't know who you think is at the very top. If you think there is a conspirarcy, you should reveal who you think is behind it.

But if Google finds no references to "anarchists" at the Republican Convention, in the New York press, then it seems to me that the pretext is flawed. It also did not show up in any of the national media.

My conclusion is that, number one, the pretext on which you base your argument is wrong, and number two, that if that is wrong, then there is no support to your argument that there is a conspiracy of media control which controls the government.

Unless of course it is Hillary's "vast right right wing conspiracy." Is that what you are talking about? :lol:

I think the appearance of the two articles taking opposite points of view in this morning's NY papers supports my contention that there is still a reasonable diversity of opinion in the media. The idea that there is a conspiracy feeding the same message through all of the media is not supported.

I just want to add that as a general rule, I do not want to see the use of innuendo on this board. It is too easily misused, misread, and misconstrued. In any discussion, on any subject, state your theory, and the facts and logic in support of it.

Superman is dead - Christopher Reeve lost the battle - He was a good actor.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

He wasn't just a good actor, he was a force for good. He could have just disappeared after his accident, but he fought on, and was an activist for spinal cord injury research. We are probably much further ahead in the field because of him.

Christopher Reeve's heroic determination in his quest was a lesson for us all. He was larger than life as an actor. Larger than life in his fight for recovery, and in behalf of all afflicted for spinal cord injuries, and he will be larger than life, in death. He "was" and will continue to be a force for good. Others will have better lives because of him. His death is not in vain.

Your Golden Stool, including short and long term updated charts and price targets, is loaded. Even if you are not a goldbug, you should check out the Golden Stool. It's in your Anals daily. Take a subscribatory and download the Golden Stool RIGHT NOW!

30 Day Intro Subscribatory. Just $16.99! Get In RIGHT NOW!

Archived