B4 The Bell Tuezelday Sptember 28

thesun

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw cruise ships departing Port Of Fort Lauderdale last night at 9:00. Assume some unhappy campers are onboard (itinerary shortened by two days). Staff is likely to be tipped far less, cruise line will likely have to refund half the cruise fee or offer 50% off their next cruise, plus pick up hotel, meals etc. for ground stay endured while they awaited departure - and they had to keep last weeks guests on board for 36 hours gratis, pay to rebook all their flights, plus put many up in hotels, etc. Assume that much of the food and supplies that were supposed to be there for this recent turn was unable to make it due to road/rail closures during hurricane.

Huge logistical pain in the ass, pissed off guests, hit to bottom line.

Hunter,

Yeah, it's preaching to the choir around here, but thanks for the NYTimes snippet anyway.

Sure is sad for me to see what America has become. I wish the sheeple would wake up before it's too late, but I think it's too late already. Lyin', cheatin', and stealin' - it's the American way. I'm more depressed than PeeBrain.

B.S.

PS, I'll be coming thru your neighborhood next week on vacation. Will probably stay in Santa Cruz, then Fort Bragg.

Snap-On Sees Profit Below Estimates

Tuesday September 28, 9:28 am ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Snap-on Inc. (NYSE:SNA - News), which makes vehicle-repair tools, on Tuesday said third-quarter and full-year earnings would fall short of Wall Street estimates due to high steel prices and weak business in Europe.

The Kenosha, Wisconsin-based company estimated profit of 37 cents to 40 cents per share for the third quarter, below the average outlook of 47 cents from anal cysts polled by Reuters Estimates.

For the year, Snap-on forecast earnings of $1.35 to $1.45 a share. anal cysts on average expect $1.74, according to Reuters Estimates.

This was the second time in less than two months that the company lowered its outlook for the year.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/040928/manufacturi..._outlook_1.html

Snap-On Tools?

Martina Navratalova always had difficulties - even at the height of her career, getting corporate endoresment contracts, given her personal preferences. My contention has always been that Snap-On Tools would be a match made in heaven for a spokesperson/endorsement contract for her.

I wonder how that woulld impact earnings?

Truly funny. Hope all got this one. :lol: :D

IMO opinion as long as the $US remains the reserve currency a "devaluation" at this point in time is not realistically going to happen.? Everyone will jawbone that it is necessary, but who will be the first to fall on the sword and start the dollar "sale" forcing the value of their currency up and seriously damaging their exporters?

The movement away from the dollar as a reserve currency will accelerate. The US$ is already down more than 20% in the last few years on the commonly used dollar index. Another 20% drop is a reasonable expectation if it occurs slowly over time.

Yes an overnight 20% drop would have very adverse consequences throughout the world. But it is not impossible that a drop that big could occur even within one month under the right circumstances anyway.

The nature of inflation is to reduce purchasing power of everyone. The fact that someone does not get a raise while inflation moves up just means that purchasing power is dropping fast - such as when a recession starts.

And so as their purchasing power drops without any savings and little debt accumulation ability left (and dropping fast as short IR's rise) what happens to producers volumes? And then their prices as volumes drop?

I don't disagree with your statements. I think where I do disagree is how fast things are going to change. If I'm reading you right, you're saying we will have a noticeable but not unsustainable rise in prices. IMO we are at or near a tipping point where changes will begin occuring very rapidly and that further price increases will only cause an acceleration of the total unwinding of the US economy which will take the rest of the world with it. The rubber band is old and tired it has been stretched to the point that serious cracks are exposed in the outer layers. Further stretching will only lead to breakage with unknown full consequences revealing themselves very quickly.

Indeed I think we are very close to a tipping point, only being held near zero growth by a micro-refinancing boom these last few weeks.

The credit bubble isn't inflating anymore and the GSE problems may actually set off an imposion of that bubble. I expect September retail statistics to be poor, but it will be brushed off at first as hurricane related. Even though that is partially true, a downturn in the economy once started will be difficult to stop. I expect that the Fed will realize this and will want to stop any downturn has started, and then act as they always do - print more money. However their insistent statements that the economy has gained traction and that high oil prices won't matter much may paralyze them from doing anything soon.

If so, we would see a very rapid downrun in the market at the same time the economy turns down.

The script for today called for everything that has transpired...so far.

Expect it all to reverse for a final wash out. They are losing the Ten Year and their attempts to attack oil/gold will not hold, and the jam job on the indexes has not resulted in an all day squeeze that would have been necessary to force a sea change.

Impotence.

Archived