B4 the Bell Turdsday July 8, 2004

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yobob1

Noting the exchanges on last night's thread; they clearly demonstrate just how easily US opinions can be swayed by our lapdog monolithic press. Have you noticed that for the last several years when you watch official functions and channel surf you are extremely likely to be presented with exactly the same images? One camera feed for the press. It was strongly evident during Reagan's funeral.

Any of you watch Jon Stewart on Comedy central? ( The Daily Show with Jon Stewart ) Hilarious IMO, and sadly quite factual. I can't recall the exact issue, but it was something that had the administration on the defensive and so Jon showed clips from about 6 different early morning talk shows with I think 3 different administration officials all out on the offensive. The words and phrases coming from those mouths were exactly the same. So no matter which channel you watched or which person you listened to the message was exactly the same scripted pablum.

RE 9/11 lies. I'm with Sherlock. Even after the 9/11 commission hearings, there seem to be many less than satisfactory answers. True answers we'll never get. No more true than the answers we received about JFK. Another example of the level of absurdity the govt stoops to is the Roswell UFO incident, which if memory serves me happened in 1947. A few years back some military official was trying to provide an explanation for the reported alien bodies. He offered up that the US was conducting high altitude parachute trest with dummies. It turns out that these tests weren't conducted until several years after the incident. When asked to explain that discrepancy, the official simply mumbled something about "time compression" and moved on.

Breaking here to get the thread open.

Noting the exchanges on last night's thread; they clearly demonstrate just how easily US opinions can be swayed by our lapdog monolithic press. Have you noticed that for the last several years when you watch official functions and channel surf you are extremely likely to be presented with exactly the same images? One camera feed for the press. It was strongly evident during Reagan's funeral.

Any of you watch Jon Stewart on Comedy central? ( The Daily Show with Jon Stewart ) Hilarious IMO, and sadly quite factual. I can't recall the exact issue, but it was something that had the administration on the defensive and so Jon showed clips from about 6 different early morning talk shows with I think 3 different administration officials all out on the offensive. The words and phrases coming from those mouths were exactly the same. So no matter which channel you watched or which person you listened to the message was exactly the same scripted pablum.

RE 9/11 lies. I'm with Sherlock. Even after the 9/11 commission hearings, there seem to be many less than satisfactory answers. True answers we'll never get. No more true than the answers we received about JFK. Another example of the level of absurdity the govt stoops to is the Roswell UFO incident, which if memory serves me happened in 1947. A few years back some military official was trying to provide an explanation for the reported alien bodies. He offered up that the US was conducting high altitude parachute trest with dummies. It turns out that these tests weren't conducted until several years after the incident. When asked to explain that discrepancy, the official simply mumbled something about "time compression" and moved on.

Breaking here to get the thread open.

Control Yobob, Control!

Several years ago a Russian journalist complimented a US journalist 'minder'

on the quality of the US propaganda noting its smoothness as opposed to

their crudeness.

Guest yobob1

990N out of gas?

globex.png

nasdaq.png

Hmm, that drop below the 50dma is looking a little ominous. My bet? I wouldn't call the next of kin just yet.

history.gif?s=NYBOT_DXY0&t=l&w=15&a=50&v=d12

PMs are still up though I see some signs of a possible turn here. The matrix has been trying to get the bid out from under silver this morning in London, but so far with mixed results. Might be an indication of physical "tightness". We'll know more by August. Gold I fear is for now primarily responding to the dollar and as such, IMO, is subject to instantaneous revaluation. That said the platinum/gold ratio is at roughly "normal" levels.

Uncle Earl, aka black gold, is creeping back up to $40. Not to worry folks the pipelines in Iraq are secure and the duct tape is holding just fine. Any day now Saudi will start pumping an extra 2 (fill in your number of choice) million barrels a day. Easy as throwing a switch. Yeah and the porcine air force is set for take off.

Hey Brian, what happened to Suncor? Did I read their cost per barrel rose and they didn't make production estimates?

A Moscow Times article reports bank runs in Russia, and compares them to the 1998 crisis.

Bank runs

The $1.1 billion in deposits at Alfa Bank is not a particularly large amount, though.

The last report from Yahoo Finance on the Russian stock market is dated July 6th, and shows an up close.

European bourses are mildly down today, but are not behaving as if a "liquidity seize-up" were underway.

So is there a crisis in Russia, or not? And if so, is it one of those "progressive disclosure" things, where it takes several weeks for the full scope of it to emerge?

Damned if I know. The slash in reserve requirements from 9.0% to 7.0% and now to 3.5% suggests a whiff of panic on the part of the Russian central banksters.

But the evidence you would expect to see in equity, bond and currency markets really isn't there yet.

We will adopt a stance of "watchful waiting" ... :unsure:

Ooops. I forgot, I am not in the US. And what is with this phlegm disorder here. People all sound like they are growling all the time. I keep expecting them to hocker up a big one.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Your Golden Stool, including short and long term updated charts and price targets, is loaded. Even if you are not a goldbug, you should check out the Golden Stool. It's in your Anals daily. Take a subscribatory and download the Golden Stool RIGHT NOW!

30 Day Intro Subscribatory. Just $16.99! Get In RIGHT NOW!?

Archived