IDS World Markets Tues 24th July 07

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

t?s=%5EAORD

A rise today but not a strong move. All Ords +0.5% with Healthcare taking a turn in the lead, +1.9%. There's a couple of red sectors, Energy -0.2% and IT -0.1%.

In the miners, BHP showing signs of life, +1% but RIO messing about +0.1%. Gold miner Newcrest rose a massive 7% after the quarterly report presentation so there must have been good news. Newmont's doing a dip, -0.6%.

Still gloom & doom on the big oils: Woodside -1.3% and Santos -2.1%.

U.K. House Prices Increase at Slowest Pace This Year

July 23 (Bloomberg) -- U.K. house prices rose in July at the slowest pace this year as rising interest rates sapped demand outside of London, where home values surged.

The U.K. central bank raised its rate to 5.75 percent this month, increasing the burden on consumers already shouldering 1.3 trillion pounds in debt. The Council of Mortgage Lenders says monthly payments on an average variable-interest rate home loan have risen almost 100 pounds in the past year.

A lack of housing has helped drive up property prices this year even as the Bank of England raised borrowing costs, widening the wealth gap between those who own a home and Britons who can't afford one. The government will announce details today on how it will implement Prime Minister Gordon Brown's plans to build 3 million new homes by 2020.

In London, the average price of a home climbed 21.7 percent from a year earlier to 394,730 pounds this month

I created a new chart the other day. It is based on the idea that as the number of new highs decreases or the number of new lows increase we should get a correction.....Alternately... as the number of new lows decrease or the number of new highs start to increase it is a time to go long......feedback is appreciated I'm hoping it is useful to bears, bulls and chickens :P

post-1110-1185252596_thumb.jpg

Oh, and by the way....lows are currently expanding and highs are contracting.. :o

w?s=%5EAORD

Basically a sideways move after initial liftoff. All Ords finished +0.4% with no change in sector positions. Healthcare remained in the lead, +2.2% followed by Materials, +0.9%. Energy was the sole red sector, -0.2% with Property Trusts flat.

Miners came in mixed: BHP +1.3%, RIO -0.4% and in the golds, Newcrest +6.5% and Newmont -1.2%.

A fair amount of high volume carnage in the oils: Woodside -1.7% and Santos -2.1%.

Mostly green in Asia: China +1.6%, Taiwan +1.3% and Singers +0.8%.

Over to UK/Europe:

t?s=%5EFTSE

t?s=^GDAXI

t?s=^FCHI

http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=europe

I created a new chart the other day. It is based on the idea that as the number of new highs decreases or the number of new lows increase we should get a correction.....Alternately... as the number of new lows decrease or the number of new highs start to increase it is a time to go long......feedback is appreciated I'm hoping it is useful to bears, bulls and chickens  :P

post-1110-1185252596_thumb.jpg

Oh, and by the way....lows are currently expanding and highs are contracting.. :o

593133[/snapback]

Bungster, all your charts are very good and very informative.

While I know a little bit of technical analysis to be dangerous, my insights beyond the obvious are probably a bit limited.

I do know a little history, only because I lived it.

But last time we hit a market down turn in the commods, we did not see a real confirmation until the Hong Kong market took a dive.

If my memory is correct, I think it was 1997?

Maybe someone can correct my old memory.

But thus far, the Hong Kong market is still moving up.

post-3648-1185275544_thumb.png

While you guys are remembering 1997, I'm remembering 1967 and 77. :lol:

I was really surprised that no one recognized those Dow charts of 1972-74 over the weekend. Those patterns are indelibly etched in my brain for all time.

Funny thing is that during my first 15 years of involvement with the market it swung both up and down, and the majority of stocks either did poorly, or went nowhere. It's probably why it's so difficult for me to get unqualifiedly and enthusiastically bullish. My upbringing says that it can't last. :lol:

Good Morning!

Welcome to Intraday Stool! Thanks to aussiebear for her daily opening!

You can join the discussion by registering (PG rated user names only, please) and posting here as well.

Registration is easy. Just click the Register link above, enter your email address (which you have the option to keep confidential), and enter a user name. To keep out spammers and scammers, I'll send you an email with a few Monty Python type questions. Just reply with your answers, and I'll approve your registration as soon as I receive your reply.

If you have questions about how to register and post, use the Help link in the menu bar at the top of the page.

If you know others who might be interested in joining us, use the email to a friend link above the thread.

Many tanks for joining us!

Doc

Try the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that time you don't find the information helpful, I'll give you a full refund. It's that simple!Click here for more information.

Subscribe to the Wall Street Examiner Professional Edition Precious Metals Daily, just $39 quarterly. Try it risk free for 30 days!

Get this indispensable daily analysis and support the Stool!

While you guys are remembering 1997, I'm remembering 1967 and 77.  :lol:

I was really surprised that no one recognized those Dow charts of 1972-74 over the weekend. Those patterns are indelibly etched in my brain for all time.

Funny thing is that during my first 15 years of involvement with the market it swung both up and down, and the majority of stocks either did poorly, or went nowhere. It's probably why it's so difficult for me to get unqualifiedly and enthusiastically bullish.  My upbringing says that it can't last. :lol:

593144[/snapback]

Those were the days when Inflation meant something

big.chart?symb=indu&compidx=aaaaa%3A0&ma=6&maval=12&uf=0&lf=1024&lf2=32&lf3=4&type=128&size=2&state=8&sid=1643&style=330&freq=2&startdate=1%2F4%2F70&enddate=7%2F24%2F1979&comp=NO%5FSYMBOL%5FCHOSEN&nosettings=1&rand=1034&mocktick=1

While you guys are remembering 1997, I'm remembering 1967 and 77.  :lol:

Funny thing is that during my first 15 years of involvement with the market it swung both up and down, and the majority of stocks either did poorly, or went nowhere. It's probably why it's so difficult for me to get unqualifiedly and enthusiastically bullish.  My upbringing says that it can't last. :lol:

593144[/snapback]

Doc, that's the great thing about the Capital Stool, you lived those bad market days, and therefore only you can provide that wonderful perspective (that we benefit from) that comes exclusively with father time, or is it mother time?

Have a great day.

:)

I'm not THAT old! :lol:

I started charting when I was 12 or 13, but my first trades were in 67. I was 16-17. First stock was EMI. 100 shares under 3 bucks.

And it stayed under. :lol:

Another stock I liked was United Asbestos. Stock was in a 20 year base on a point and figure chart.

It never broke out.

I was ahead of my time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived