B4 the Bell Wednesday August 25

I've been searching Google for over a month looking for someone to step up and give me proof that the 990N posting which I proudly feature at the bottom of every message I post is in any way inaccurate.  I have yet to read anything that does a better job of explaining the action we witness every day.  It somebody is going to step-up to discount or refute the theory of 990N, they're first going to have to discount the entire original posting with facts - not theories.  It all sounds totally plausible and logical to me, and i now believe that the money that funds it is the money that had been designated for Iraq's reconstruction.

Show me the money!  If someone comes up with a full accounting of the missing cash that was supposed to go to the reconstruction of Iraq, I may change my tune...but when you see a single actor stick saving the market with "at market" orders at the least opportune times for profit, one can only conclude that this party is not spending its own money, and is less interested in profit than saving the indexes.

Prove me wrong.

Plunger, I wouldn't focus on the missing money for Iraq construction per se.

All we know is that no contracts have been signed for the purpose intended.

Congress appropriates funds which go to a given Dept. like Defense.

Defense then allocates those funds to the sub-dept in charge.

The funds sit in an account for the project unless they are pulled back for

"a higher priority need" as determined by Comptroller, Defense Dept.

When a contract is pending, we put that on the books as a commitment.

Even committed funds can be pulled back up to the head-shed for

"other uses." So the urgency is to get a contract signed so the funds

are obligated and "not lost."

Congress is screaming that there are no contracts.

So, yes, there could be some diddling around with that money.

However, the Defense Dept gets huge amounts of money that even

Congress does not know what its for due to "national security issues."

I think this is an extreme abrogation of the system of checks and balances.

It leads to slush funds for god only knows what purposes.

The use of CIA funds for drugs, planes, and other things is a good example.

Nevertheless, the amount of money controlled by the Exchange Stabilization

Fund (ESF), far exceeds any of the above.

Their ability to move money anywhere in the world's financial system, including

offshore hidden accounts, suggests to me that the 990N action, if true,

would utilize those funds vs the appropriated funds such as Iraq construction.

Only the Prez and the Secy of Treas have to approve the use of ESF funds.

Perfect vehicle for what you describe.

What about the Iraq Construction funds? Pure incompetence and an

obvious sign that re-construction was not a big priority for the administration.

Just like it has not been for Afghanistan. All words and no action.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest libertas
Apologies if repost, but Las Vegas housing cooling, and big time:

"In the last 60 days the market has died," said Leslie Carver, with Prudential Americana in Las Vegas. "Before, I couldn't keep a listing for day. Now, not even one person has looked at some of these houses in a couple of weeks."

http://money.cnn.com/2004/08/25/real_estat...dex.htm?cnn=yes

Thanks for posting that. Fair warms the cockles of a bear's heart, that does.

Plunger,

I respect you. I want to ask you a question. If? you really believe that the spx can be manipulated on an every day basis by 990N than why play the game??

I will go long when the T/A allows for it (without the risk that we have today).

End:

I respect you too - and I am increasingly inclined to stop playing the game.

I'm with you on that one too. After this is all over, there won't be a market. I'm just waiting to pick the right time to get out and stay out.

Col Dashley, I have been wondering just how many other people are

"waiting to pick the right time to get out and stay out."

There is always that tempting lure of "just a bit more profit."

Even though the risk grows, people are acting like its not there.

All my life I have lived with the concept of saving and making my money grow.

Yet we now seem to be approaching an inflationary stage where

no matter what, the dollar value declines in purchasing value.

My house/auto ins is up, my property taxes are up, utilities are up, gas is up....

These factors propel me to seek even more growth on my savings.

Yet if the ultimate conclusion is deflation, or even a depression, then

that's a whole other ball of wax.

How will you determine that "right time to get out" and why?

Thank you,

Sherlock

This writer may have an explanation for the massive cognitive disconnect among- roughly half?- the Merkin electorate:

"The underlying major premise of humanist-leftist ideology states that people are intrinsically sympathetic. If people are defiantly mean and craven, the humanist-left structure falters. "Why the fornicate should I bother fighting for Middle Americans," they ask, "if they're just as loathsome, in their own petty way, as their exploiters, with whom they actively collaborate?"

Rather than grapple with that dilemma, the left pretends it doesn't exist. This is why they will forever struggle to understand the one overriding mystery of why so many working- and middle-class white males vote against their own best interests.

At the other end of the economic spectrum, non-millionaires who vote Republican, the so-called "Reagan Democrats," know that the country is not theirs. They are mere wage-slave fodder, so their only hope is to vote for someone who makes the very happiest people's lives a little less happy. If I'm an obese 40-something white male living in Ohio or Nevada, locked into a permanent struggle with foreclosure, child support payments and outsourcing threats, then I'm going to vote for the guy who delivers a big greasy portion of misery to the Sarandon-Robbins dining room table, then brags about it on FoxNews. Even if it means hurting myself in the process.

I CAN TELL YOU WHY. They do so out of spite. ? "

NYPRESS.COM JUNE 8, 2004 MARK AMES

http://www.nypress.com/print.cfm?content_id=10369

comments- on Digby

'splains a lot for me...

Guest yobob1

This is a very interesting twist in the saga of oil. Wouldn't it be ironic if the price of crude contributed to a global recession and that recession led to a nasty decline in the price of oil that every one on the planet has some sort of wager on and that triggered a financial crisis? Fits well under my tinfoil hat.

On the fundamentals, the key to change would be the next leg up on the dollar as well as the discovery of a global recession. The NYSE bear market is likely discounting the latter, in which case crude oil will join other industrial commodities in a cyclical decline that could last for a couple of years.

While most would celebrate a cyclical decline in energy prices, it may not be a complete blessing. The plunge after 1980 created the rubble of a number of banking failures and this time around the ripple effect could be equally interesting. For example, in October, 1986, Robert Boykin, who was then president of the Dallas Fed, observed, "For a while, we were thinking of changing the Texas state bird to a building crane. Now we are thinking of a turkey."

It seems that no matter what commodity enjoys the exhilaration, the failure of speculation can pressure the financial markets

Oil business

Guest yobob1

BTW Kerrry on the Daily Show was the best I have ever seen Kerry look and act. He should be out there all the time like he was with Stewart. Don't misunderstand, I'm no Kerry lover - to me he just represents a way to remove a greater evil and maybe buy us a little more time.

War crimes - 'Nam - Kerry

Time for confession?

Beyond the Swift Boat Controversy: Exposing Vietnam War Atrocities

Pulitzer prize-winning reporter Mike Sallah who

uncovered massacres committed by U.S. troops in Vietnam

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/25/1410215

Did these things really happen? I saw similar, so I know the answer is yes.

Why are there no trials? Go along to get along ...

This is a very interesting twist in the saga of oil. Wouldn't it be ironic if the price of crude contributed to a global recession and that recession led to a nasty decline in the price of oil that every one on the planet has some sort of wager on and that triggered a financial crisis? Fits well under my tinfoil hat.

On the fundamentals, the key to change would be the next leg up on the dollar as well as the discovery of a global recession. The NYSE bear market is likely discounting the latter, in which case crude oil will join other industrial commodities in a cyclical decline that could last for a couple of years.

While most would celebrate a cyclical decline in energy prices, it may not be a complete blessing. The plunge after 1980 created the rubble of a number of banking failures and this time around the ripple effect could be equally interesting. For example, in October, 1986, Robert Boykin, who was then president of the Dallas Fed, observed, "For a while, we were thinking of changing the Texas state bird to a building crane. Now we are thinking of a turkey."

It seems that no matter what commodity enjoys the exhilaration, the failure of speculation can pressure the financial markets

Oil business

I'm thinking of all those dollars that Central Banks don't have an immediate need for so as to settle their oil purchases.

All those peachbacks gotta go somewhere or be converted to something else.

That has to be a heck of a FRN float thats going to get deflated.

War crimes - 'Nam - Kerry

Time for confession?

Beyond the Swift Boat Controversy: Exposing Vietnam War Atrocities

Pulitzer prize-winning reporter Mike Sallah who

uncovered massacres committed by U.S. troops in Vietnam

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/25/1410215

Did these things really happen? I saw similar, so I know the answer is yes.

Why are there no trials? Go along to get along ...

American free fire zones killed women children, old people animals etc. What freaked out GI's did pales compared to the bombing and free fire zone killings. 1st air cav killed an average 3000 non combat a quarter. they were in Nam for close to ten years, and they were only one division.

looks like Vegas is heading the way of our Real estate market in Australia.

"Flipping" is good so long as you dont become what I call a "flippee"...a "flippee" is like the guy at the poker table...you know the old saying,if you cant work out which poker player is the "sucker" then its probably "you"...."flippees" are similar,they are the ones who get to keep the property.

Congratulations.

A couple of days ago Charles Beiderman (spelling?) of Trim Tabs was on Bloomberg TV saying that the the price of oil would fall $10/bbl overnight if the margin requirements at the exchange were raised. Well, they were raised and it fell but not by $10. In fact it is moving higher again this morning. Perhaps those that wanted out are now out. They're not making the stuff anymore and demand is not likely to decrease any time soon, but the chart resembles that of silver, parabolic. Volume was low so its harder to argue that the bulls are back in charge, prices up but without strong conviction.

From Barfing.com:

14:46 Crapvision notes that increased margin requirements for Crude contract goes into effect today

14:57 Floor Talk: Markets hopeful that stricter margin requirements will drive speculators out of Crude market, help keep prices in check

And, as noted in earlier comments, deluge of negative commentary in the Semi space is being viewed as a buy signal. Others also point out buying in high-beta sectors as institutional accounts look to raise market exposure, and are focusing on the names that have a history of rallying big over a short period of time.

Nothing to see here, move along, everything is under control.

This writer may have an explanation for the massive cognitive disconnect among- roughly half?- the Merkin electorate:

"The underlying major premise of humanist-leftist ideology states that people are intrinsically sympathetic. If people are defiantly mean and craven, the humanist-left structure falters. "Why the fornicate should I bother fighting for Middle Americans," they ask, "if they're just as loathsome, in their own petty way, as their exploiters, with whom they actively collaborate?"

Rather than grapple with that dilemma, the left pretends it doesn't exist. This is why they will forever struggle to understand the one overriding mystery of why so many working- and middle-class white males vote against their own best interests.

At the other end of the economic spectrum, non-millionaires who vote Republican, the so-called "Reagan Democrats," know that the country is not theirs. They are mere wage-slave fodder, so their only hope is to vote for someone who makes the very happiest people's lives a little less happy. If I'm an obese 40-something white male living in Ohio or Nevada, locked into a permanent struggle with foreclosure, child support payments and outsourcing threats, then I'm going to vote for the guy who delivers a big greasy portion of misery to the Sarandon-Robbins dining room table, then brags about it on FoxNews. Even if it means hurting myself in the process.

I CAN TELL YOU WHY. They do so out of spite. ? "

NYPRESS.COM JUNE 8, 2004 MARK AMES

http://www.nypress.com/print.cfm?content_id=10369

comments- on Digby

'splains a lot for me...

Wonmug.Fantastic find(link) most enlightening!

This para had me ROFLMAO:

"This explains the mystery of why Bush still has a chance of winning in November, even though most Americans acknowledge that his presidency is little more than a series of slapstick fornicate-ups with apocalyptic consequences. Inspector Clouseau meets the Book of Revelations"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived