IDS World Markets Thurs 11th October 07

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The contest is on, who can raise their targets for GOOG the highest:

Oct 11 (Reuters) - Three brokerages on Thursday raised their price targets on Web search company Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote, Profile, Research).

RBC Capital Markets raised its price target on the company to $690 from $560, to reflect the Web search leader's strength in Europe and currency gains.

Stifel Nicolaus raised its price target to $710 from $620 on the stock, and said additional significant growth initiatives for the company over the next several years include the monetization of Internet video, mobile Internet advertising and further penetration of enterprise level applications.

According to a report on theflyonthewall.com, brokerage Stanford raised its price target on Google to $735 from $615. Reuters could not

Link

In a simplistic review of the OMO actions as compared to the SPX performance, since August 1 there have been three times (before today) that there was a drain of $10B or more (8/13 - $36B drain; 9/13 - $17B drain; 9/27 - $11B drain). Two of these three instances resulted in good up days for the SPX. The biggest drain on 8/13 of -$36B resulted in an essentially flat trading day (-1/2 SPX point).

Two of the three days were on the 13th of the month.

With this limited, recent sample, it just seems that there is little correlation with major OMO drains to the stock market.

I know that it is a limited sample size, but as Jimbo Cramer used to say, it is what is happening now that matters.

Is there a lag that is important rather than the impact that very day?

It looks like the WSJ has been lurking around the Stool lines, but better late than never. :rolleyes:

The United States of Subprime

Data Show Bad Loans

Permeate the Nation;

Pain Could Last Years

By RICK BROOKS and CONSTANCE MITCHELL FORD

October 11, 2007; Page A1

As America's mortgage markets began unraveling this year, economists seeking explanations pointed to "subprime" mortgages issued to low-income, minority and urban borrowers. But an analysis of more than 130 million home loans made over the past decade reveals that risky mortgages were made in nearly every corner of the nation, from small towns in the middle of nowhere to inner cities to affluent suburbs.

The analysis of loan data by The Wall Street Journal indicates that from 2004 to 2006, when home prices peaked in many parts of the country, more than 2,500 banks, thrifts, credit unions and mortgage companies made a combined $1.5 trillion in high-interest-rate loans. Most subprime loans, which are extended to borrowers with sketchy credit or stretched finances, fall into this basket.

High-rate mortgages accounted for 29% of the total number of home loans originated last year, up from 16% in 2004. About 10.3 million high-rate loans were made in the past three years, out of a total of 43.6 million mortgages. High-rate lending jumped by an even larger percentage in 68 metropolitan areas, from Lewiston, Maine, to Ocala, Fla., to Tacoma, Wash.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1192059255...s_us_whats_news

Looks like the finaglers are targeting 'em younger and younger.

Just in time for the holidaze, Mattel has come out with the "Barbie Fashion Fever Shopping Boutique".

The playset comes with an initial inventory of eleven outfits---though plenty more are available for a fee---and a handy-dandy, point-of-purchase credit card terminal. Every time the "Fashion Fever" credit card is swiped through the terminal, more money appears in your account.

The jingly-jangly song in the background urges, "Buy anything you want at the Barbie Shopping Boutique. You never have to add money!"

No wonder the young girl in the commercial explodes with delight, "I love shopping!"

Who wouldn't if you never had to pay for anything?

Throughout the ad, the background chorus sings in mantra-like fashion, "Buy it!"..."Buy it!"..."Buy it!".....

Absolutely brilliant. Orwelling marketing at its finest.

The finaglers have achieved great success in getting their tentacles around college-age and even high-school-age kids with student loan packages and credit card offers. But targeting nine- and ten-year-olds is a new frontier and a savvy marketing strategy. Hook 'em as young as possible, I say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJjV47mMmCg...%2Dbad%2Dcre%2F

614192[/snapback]

Unbelievably sad.

Covered my JWN short at 45.5. Undoubtedly more downside here, but I need the money to offset less auspiciously timed shorts. :P

Check out the prices of BIDU Nov puts.? They are barely down on a 15 dollar up day for BIDU.

614200[/snapback]

You thinking of going in, Madness?

614201[/snapback]

no

But i'm so tempted.....

BIDU is my school bully.

I'm stick of giving him my lunch money.

614204[/snapback]

Maybe this guy can help you out there...

post-837-1192115126.jpg

Archived