Bully fights for his life

I’m looking for a little help from our Aussie friends tonight. My wife and 3 other ladies are traveling to Melbourne to see the Australian Open. Beyond the tennis, the only tip they have on things to do is something called “The Thunder Down Under.” This worries me a little. :blink:

If any of you have some ideas on things to see or do in Melbourne, I thank you and will gladly pass them along. :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest Story

Special Podcast For Fed Report Subscribers

January 20, 2010 By Lee Adler It comes as no surprise that this week’s light Treasury calendar resulted in extremely strong bid/cover ratios, and big increases in indirect bids with rates remaining near zero. With just 3 bill auctions, all smaller than anticipated as the Treasury applied its December cash windfall to reducing debt offerings this month, there was a net paydown of $31 billion. That cash helped to prop the long end of the Treasury market, and almost certainly helped to put a bid under stocks when a meltdown threatened today. Read more »

Tip of the Iceberg

Russia diversifies into Canadian dollars

By Peter Garnham

Published: January 20 2010 16:46 | Last updated: January 20 2010 16:46

Russia’s central bank announced on Wednesday that it had started buying Canadian dollars and securities in a bid to diversify its foreign exchange reserves.

anal cysts said the move could be a sign of increased diversification of emerging market central bank assets away from the dollar and into investments denominated in other commodity-linked currencies, such as the Australian dollar.

Adam Cole at RBC Capital Markets said if taken in isolation, Russia’s announcement that it was buying Canadian dollars was not significant, but if it was part of a broader trend, then it was an important step.

“If it is a barometer for the activity of other central banks, then its is structurally positive for the currencies of countries like Canada and Australia that have a commodity bias in their economies,” he said.

Although not officially confirmed, traders said that other emerging market central banks, including some in Asia which hold large foreign exchange reserves, have also been active in the foreign exchange market in recent weeks buying both Canadian dollars and Australian dollars.

Latest Story

Oblivious to the Danger Signs – Professional Edition

January 20, 2010 By Lee Adler Most market participants do not seem to notice the creeping weakness. Complacency abounds, and that is a dangerous situation. Most players are oblivious to the danger signs. Click here to download complete report in pdf format (Professional Edition Subscribers). Try the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that time, you don’t find the information useful, I will give you a full refund. It’s that simple. Click here for more information.

PD - what is your take on oil here? I am long @ 78.60 on mini contract QMH0 (March Contract) and short @ 79.05 on QMJ0 (April Contract). I think we will turn up here but not sure hence long and short waiting for the tell.

Everytime you post regarding a particular trading instrument, I was already thinking about it. We must be on the same wave length. Well, this not be so good for you considering I am mentally insane. Anyway, my charts are currently not working. Hopefully, they will be up and running soon. When they are, I will try to have something regarding crude.

The size (5+) and frequency of earthquakes recently really seems alarming. However, I have no historical frame of reference so I sent an e-mail to USGS to provide some perspective. Will pass along their response.

This is really not a big deal.

Stuff happens, this goes on all the time as stress is relieved at the tectonic plate boundaries.

There is some relation to tidal effects from the moon/sun interaction, maybe further solar system/galactic stuff also.

A living planet is a tough place to live.

Remember that next time the earth moves.

Archived