B4 The Bell Frieday September 24

Hiding Bear

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did this film even make it into Iraq? OOOPS!

U.S. Troops in Iraq Gather to Watch Fahrenheit 9/11

Dear me.......

I think it's about time they leashed 1001 IRS personal audits on the people that let this happen.

Just to make sure that the point gets across to others that don't stay ON MESSAGE.

To be effective Propaganda has to work for both sides, the friends & foes.

Plunger

Do you think Kerry will adjust the parties platform?

Make the deficit an issue? I'm not an American and dont have a sense for the populations concern over what is the biggest problem facing the planet today.

Lately the medias awareness on the debt disaster seems to be coming off All Time Lows. Would be interested on your take.

It's hard to know whether the truth would result in more votes or less votes, which obviously has to be their primary concern if they hope to have an impact on the future.

I can see both sides of placing the deficit on an equal footing with Iraq on the agenda issue. Cheney's simple response will be "hey, it worked for Reagan and it will work for us...we're Republicans, and we obviously know how to come out the back side of a stimulus program with flying colors, just like Reagan." The Bushies will just accuse Kerry of fear-mongering (pot/kettle) on the war and the economy..."gloom & doom" etc.

In this "sound bite" hyper-news-cycle world, a five-minute monologue would be required to educate the public as to why it really is different this time and what the truth of the economy really is, and it would never make the air in its full unedited form...and the American people probably don't want to hear it any way.

Strategically, Bush/Cheney have done their level best to put Kerry in a box, where he's damned either way if he tells the truth.

This all points to the real problem, that one sentence sound bites determine national policy...since the best sound bite wins the election. Bottom line is we're pretty much screwed regardless of who is elected, because this game is being driven at a pay-grade far above both of these puppets.

Plunger

Do you think Kerry will adjust the parties platform?

Make the deficit an issue? I'm not an American and dont have a sense for the populations concern over what is the biggest problem facing the planet today.

Lately the medias awareness on the debt disaster seems to be coming off All Time Lows. Would be interested on your take.

I'm not Plunger, hope you don't mind if I put in my 2 cents...

I really don't see much concern for the deficit around here. In relation to Iraq and the stream of dead bodies coming home, it is a bit abstract for the masses. For that reason, the story just doesn't sell and therefore the media doesn't give it the coverage it deserves. When the markets go into the tank it will become much less abstract. I expect coverage to pick up at that point.

Hmmm, a "good" durable goods number, and all we get is a 1 point pop that lasts for 3 minutes? If the trend was still up, they would have jumped all over it for a gap up. FNM is weighing on this pig - no one wants to get in front of this one. 5/9 MA crossovers already in the SPX and DOW and probable for today in the NDX should trigger some selling by the traders. Looking down today. :D

Phillips, Europe's largest consumer electronics group, lowered Q3 estimates for its chip unit. Book:bill has dropped below 1 and they see a significant slowdown in semis next year.

They went out of their way to emphasize they expect to maintain earnings through Q4, but 2005 is when things will really slowdown. Strong buy?

What a great idea !

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has suggested that parts of Iraq might be excluded from elections set for January due to rising violence.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has suggested that parts of Iraq might be excluded from elections set for January due to rising violence.

On Thursday Rumsfeld expressed optimism that elections will push through as scheduled.

But at a U.S. Senate Committee hearing he raised the possibility polls might not be held in all of Iraq.

"Let's say you tried to have an election and you could have it in three-quarters or four-fifths of the country. But in some places you couldn't because the violence was too great," Rumsfeld said, hours after the leaders of the United States and Iraq met in Washington.

"Well, so be it. Nothing's perfect in life, so you have an election that's not quite perfect. Is it better than not having an election? You bet," he said

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/09/24/...main/index.html

Very entertaining morning on crapvision.

Congressman Jim Saxton and Jim Moran in a heated debate over the deficit.

Bushes proposed tax cuts were at the heart of the matter. The repubs position being, tax cuts will foster economic growth eliminating deficits in years to come.

{Move along folks}. Saxton a democrat became VERY agitated with his position and was literally SCREAMING you are full of shite and you know it. Went on to say government debt is totally out of control and Bush has no intention of addressing the problem on his watch. He added we are leaving a living nightmare for the younger generation where they would be paying $10000.00 a year for interest costs alone on the national debt. When the host suggested Kerry had no concrete proposals to address the situation Saxton had little to offer that would give the audience a warm fuzzy feeling. Sadly the debate was cut short. I find it UFB the number one problem facing the USA gets so little air time. I could of listened to these guys go at it for hours but as usual crapvision has more important things on their agenda than some stupid debate on trillion dollar deficits.

Most Democrats voted for the tax 'cut' - which is actually not a cut at all but a last minute reversal of a previously voted tax increase. In addition, this little cut does

not follow the long term budget guidelines set by Congress itself.

The $70 trillion debt monster will eventually devour most of the US economy.

What a great idea !

On Thursday Rumsfeld expressed optimism that elections will push through as scheduled.

But at a U.S. Senate Committee hearing he raised the possibility polls might not be held in all of Iraq.

"Let's say you tried to have an election and you could have it in three-quarters or four-fifths of the country. But in some places you couldn't because the violence was too great," Rumsfeld said, hours after the leaders of the United States and Iraq met in Washington.

"Well, so be it. Nothing's perfect in life, so you have an election that's not quite perfect. Is it better than not having an election? You bet," he said

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/09/24/...main/index.html

That might work here...

Now which states to exclude, red or blue, hmmmmm

Good Morning Crew-Yes I saw that too didja notice Froohlick in his striped suit, striped shirt and checkered tie, he looked like a Harp. I notice Rummy is bleating that they will only have an election in the safe areas of Iraq but he says a part election is better than no election - it just gets crazier and they don't have enough fingers to plug the holes in the Dam. This Pig looks ready to implode, it is on its own at the open BUT a window opens 10 minutes in and runs to 25 past the Hour, Helmets on, Buckle up! ;)

Question for machinehead or anyone else:

I remember an indicator called the TED spread flashed a warning signal before the 1987 crash.

Any thoughts as to whether this measure of finacial stress might be worth watching again?

Ted Spread

The difference between the rate for Treasury Bills and the rate for Eurodollar Bills. The resulting price discrepancy is an indicator of credit risk. An increasing TED spread is thought to indicate increasing risk, while a decreasing TED spread is thought to indicate decreasing risk

The TED SPREAD has given warnings in the past of coming market dislocation.

Great indicator

Archived