IDS World 7 May 2003

Please forward this to your friends, ASAP.

To: Staff

RE: Please Respond ASAP

Please feel free to read this message at your leisure. However, when you have done so, please respond with your thoughts, if any, ASAP.

When I was a young Military Officer in training I was given a very specific definition of "ASAP". The Military established very firm guidelines about how that phrase was to be interpreted, especially when used in written orders or requests, such as from a superior to a subordinate or between two peers. As you can imagine, in the heat of battle what one person thinks are clear and precise instructions can sometimes be misinterpreted by another. Military history is full of examples where miscommunications resulted in disaster--The Charge of the Light Brigade being a particularly germane example.

So here is the definition of "ASAP" that the Military taught me (and since military traditions die hard, it is probably still in use.)

"ASAP" or "As soon as possible" is to be in interpreted as "As soon as practical given the totality of the situation that you are facing". The assumption here is that the person issuing the "ASAP" request cannot possibly comprehend the situation the receiver faces nor the other demands and challenges he has and how the request fits into his current activities or battle plan.

So, if something is not practical at all, "ASAP" means that it will likely never get done, and that's acceptable according to the Military definition. It is up to the individual being told or asked to do something "ASAP" to determine if what he is being asked to do makes sense and to do it at that individual's convience, not the requestor's.

The one except to that rule was when "ASAP" was used with a another descriptor, such as "ASAP but not later than October 20, 2003". In this instance, the phrase "ASAP" is meant to imply permission to accomplish the task earlier than October 20, 2003 if it is "practical" to do so, but not later than then under any circumstances.

I try not to use the phrase ASAP very often, but if I do, I mean it in the way the Military taught me. So if I ask you for something ASAP, I accept that it might never happen, and that's OK.

I'm not saying that I too old to change, but this definition of ASAP is pretty ingrained in me now. So, please be aware that if you ask me for something "ASAP" you may never get it from me.

Thanks

A. Non Amos

B)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asia-Pacific Markets trending up in the AM sessions. No big movers either way.

Yoo-hoo world markets

Uncle Buck-

intraday.gif?s...w=15&a=2&v.gif

Spoo-Hoo's-

globex.png

Nasty-

nasdaq.png

Globex Flash Quotes Link

euroland

Jo-burg Miners Here

AM Market Call By CNNMoney

From Bloomberg 9:45 PM (May 6) Stool HQ Time

Japan's Stock Benchmarks Rise, Led by NTT DoCoMo, KDDI; Advantest Gains

Japan's stock benchmarks rose for a fifth day, paced by telephone-related companies, on optimism that NTT DoCoMo Inc. and its rival KDDI Corp. will say earnings improved in the second half.

Cisco's Net Income Increases 35 Percent as Expenses Fall; Sales Decline

Singapore Telecom Raises $393 Million in Initial Share Sale for Post Unit Bloomberg

Yep, interesting link Everybear....particularly liked the upside down S&P chart and the gold chart...amazing similarity..

Weeell, the action a lot more interesting here today. A joyous bound out of the starting gates on open but it only lasted an hour then we spent the rest of the day drifting down into close. All Ords closed +6.7 (+0.2%) so it was almost a round trip.

Golds looking good:

Lihir +2.2%

Newcrest +2.2%

Newmont +0.9%

Some on M2M saying there could be a gap and crap for the US tonight. Might not even get the gap way things are going....Europe in the red at open..

Archived