B4 The Bell Fryday, I Love The Smell Of Burnt Bull

Guest yobob1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Japan Raises Terror Alert to Highest Level, AP Reports

Feb. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Japan raised its terror alert level to its highest since March and posted heavily armed police at airports, government offices and nuclear power plants, the Associated Press reported.

No specific reason was given for the increased alert, the AP said, citing an unidentified official with the Japanese National Police Agency.

Security was also stepped up at the prime minister's residence, the U.S. Embassy, military facilities, ports, rail stations and shopping malls, the official told AP.

(Associated Press 2-20)

Link

4% was not enough?????? 8% was not enough???? They aren't fibbing to us are they????

``The issue is simply that real GDP growth is not strong enough to generate new jobs given that productivity growth,'' Poole [William Poole, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis] said. ``Unless we see real GDP growth in excess of labor productivity growth on a sustained basis, we won't see much job creation.''

Fed's Poole Says Growth in 2004 Will Cut Unemployment

(no link, sorry)

=DJ UAL Bankruptcy -2: Co Sought Almost 4-Month Extension>UU

By Michael McHugh

Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

CHICAGO (Dow Jones)--A bankruptcy court judge extended the exclusivity period for UAL Corp. (UALAQ) to file its reorganization plan by 30 days - short of the almost four-month extension UAL had requested.

Judge Eugene Wedoff of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois said Friday a number of issues pending in UAL's restructuring drive, such as a ruling on its request for loan guarantees from the Air Transportation Stability Board, may be resolved - making such a long extension unnecessary.

The exclusivity period prevents other parties, such as UAL's creditors, from filing a rival reorganization plan.

UAL had requested an extension until June 30 saying some outstanding issues, which include requested changes to its retiree pension benefits, cloud its view of how the airline will operate once it emerges from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Judge Wedoff also granted a 30-day extension to the exclusivity period for UAL, parent of United Airlines, to amass votes for its reorganization plan. The previous deadline was Aug. 30.

UAL filed for bankruptcy protection in December 2002.

-By Michael McHugh, Dow Jones Newswires; 312-750-4142; [email protected]

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

02-20-04 1152ET- - 11 52 AM EST 02-20-04

Not too low, not too high.....just right........

Fed's Poole - U.S. inflation not too low

"I'm certainly not uncomfortable with inflation at today's level. I don't think inflation is too low. Not all my colleagues agree with that. I thought the odds of deflation were always minor and I think that the odds today are even lower," he said.

Archived