The Spirit Was Willing But The Flesh Was Weak . . .

. . . In this case, my flesh. As in the prospect of getting up at 7:30 AM to post this deathless prose. Since I left my "day job" in Green Witch "yesterday" at a totally unmentionable time. And arrived home at an even more unmentionable time with this morning's tasty offering still in the future tense. Them rooted through my favorite website collection, even as the strength was slowly ebbing from my exhausted bod, and stopped at the one labeled "Useless Knowledge" (coolquiz.com)

And found some pretty interesting stuff there - such as all the famous things that happened on today's date. Such as:

1606 - Setting sail from London, England, were the "Susan Constant", "Godspeed" and "Discovery", destined for America. Captain Christopher Newport commanded the three tiny ships, which are now on display at Jamestown village in Virginia. The royally chartered ships landing at Jamestown, Virginia was the beginning of the first permanent English settlement in America.

1803 - France sold the Louisiana Territory to the United States for $15 million, a price of about $20 a square mile.

1820 - Missouri enacted legislation taxing bachelors between the ages of 21-50, $1 a year for not being married.

1860 - South Carolina became the first state to secede from the American Union; it was not readmitted until 1868.

Since we be all seekers after knowledge, aren't you glad I shared this information with you? And at such an early hour in the morning also, as even the prospect of having to rise at 7:30 to open this thread threatened to drain what little Chi yet remained in me. So it gets opened a little earlier than usual. Even earlier than the one done after attempting to watch the Perseids last summer.

But before I go, while still on the subject of items of great historical interest, I pose the following question to you - and whoever answers it correctly will most definitely be awarded the recognition he/she deserves for getting this right. And if no one gets it, the correct answer will appear in the PM offering at 12:45 today.

Question: What was the number one song on the popular song Hit Parade in the Soviet Union for the year 1952?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see the forest for the trees. Find your way each morning with yourStoolwethers and Suctor Watch. Cycle charts and price targets of 15 market leading stocks and 15 market leading sectors.

View them every morning in your Suctors and Stoolwethers portion of the Anals of Stock Proctology. Subscribe today! Click the link below.

Rich- the "4 day cycle" you have seen lately is a merge of the 3 and 5 day cycles. It's an anomaly. While it can repeat, it can also go back to one of the mroe typical time frames. Just watch your cmaps and indicators. During scam week and the day after, it's a crap shoot.

I know one or more of our semi-regulars here is a New Yawk lawyer. C'mon, who's the guy that always tells those heartbreaking eyewitness accounts of life as we know it in New Yawk. Damn. Can't think of his stoolie name.

More news ...

The markets are expected to be particularly volatile today due to the first ever quadruple witching with single stock futures added to the mix.

The market lost a chance for a boost after the Commerce Department's final revision of third-quarter gross-domestic product showed no change from an initial report of 4.0% growth. Economists hadn't expected any change. An earlier estimate had pegged the gain at 3.1%. S&P futures registered little change on the news.

Despite the strong third-quarter number, most anal cysts believe the economy has sharply slowed in the fourth quarter.

Tony Blair broadcast a radio message today to the troops telling them to be prepared to go to war.

Archived